Bilstein shocks thread

1 hour ago, TXGREEK said:

4wheelparts has awesome deals. Highly recommend having a professional do your front struts/springs as alignment is 100% necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good point, probably best to have the local offroad shop, there are several near me here in GA, order the shocks and do the installs and alignment.  I will take a ride over there and see what they charge.

That's a good point, probably best to have the local offroad shop, there are several near me here in GA, order the shocks and do the installs and alignment.  I will take a ride over there and see what they charge.

You should check with your local 4wheelparts (if you have one nearby) and see if they’re running a special on all four shocks with free installation.

4WheelParts has the set of 4 for under $300, but that doesn't include install.  I am guessing 2 hours of work, so maybe $500 or so all in.  That's not too bad.  If they install those and it doesn't take away at all from my spacer lift kits that are installed, I plan to do this.  I don't want to lose ANY clearance.  I would prefer to pick up a little, if possible.  But no less.

4WheelParts has the set of 4 for under $300, but that doesn't include install.  I am guessing 2 hours of work, so maybe $500 or so all in.  That's not too bad.  If they install those and it doesn't take away at all from my spacer lift kits that are installed, I plan to do this.  I don't want to lose ANY clearance.  I would prefer to pick up a little, if possible.  But no less.

When you have them install just put it on the second notch (1 up from stock) i got about .8 inches from that. However you may run into ball joint issues

When you have them install just put it on the second notch (1 up from stock) i got about .8 inches from that. However you may run into ball joint issues

Unless your 4 wheel parts is doing the install for free or you’re completely wrench illiterate it is a very, very easy install. Both axles took me less than two hours. 4 wheel parts here in Orlando wanted 500 to install, they said each front is a 2 hour install, 95 per hour and the back is an hour.

Hard to believe as i did it on hackstands in 1/3 of the time.

56 minutes ago, SquireSCA said:

Do you have a link?  When I look them up, I'm getting a price of $375.  Granted, I'm looking the shocks up individually.  Are you talking about a package deal?  I do see one for under $300 for 4 5100 shocks but they aren't the height adjustable I don't think.

Edited by colonel00

6 hours ago, SquireSCA said:

In the same area. Would also like to know.

Installed the back shocks myself however I'm not entirely comfortable doing the fronts for the spring transfer. 

Edited by JamesAT18
  • Like 1

Unless your 4 wheel parts is doing the install for free or you’re completely wrench illiterate it is a very, very easy install. Both axles took me less than two hours. 4 wheel parts here in Orlando wanted 500 to install, they said each front is a 2 hour install, 95 per hour and the back is an hour.

Hard to believe as i did it on hackstands in 1/3 of the time.

It is NOT an easy process, pulling off your stock coil is very dangerous and DO NOT RECOMMEND DIY unless you have the proper equipment! Now, the rear are easy as brushing your teeth.

In the same area. Would also like to know.

Installed the back struts myself however I'm not entirely comfortable doing the fronts for the spring transfer. 

The back are shocks, not struts

• Like 1

It is NOT an easy process, pulling off your stock coil is very dangerous and DO NOT RECOMMEND DIY unless you have the proper equipment! Now, the rear are easy as brushing your teeth.

I guess we have different opinions around the term easy.

A spring compressor is very easy to come by via rental, and being careful is free. They can be dangerous if you’re smacking around a loaded spring or just being an idiot, but it really is quite straight forward to transfer the spring to a new shock. These spring compressors these days have locks on them to prevent accidental slippage I’m not a certified mechanic by any means, but i think if you’re careful and know your way around a socket set then you’ll be alright.

I guess we have different opinions around the term easy.

A spring compressor is very easy to come by via rental, and being careful is free. They can be dangerous if you’re smacking around a loaded spring or just being an idiot, but it really is quite straight forward to transfer the spring to a new shock. These spring compressors these days have locks on them to prevent accidental slippage I’m not a certified mechanic by any means, but i think if you’re careful and know your way around a socket set then you’ll be alright.

I’m aware of that and yet rather have someone do it that is very familiar with rather then take a chance on a spring popping and ripping your face off. It’s also about warranty work as well. If it’s not done right the first time it’ll eventually be taken care of by the shop that sold it and installed them from the get go. Personally, I don’t rent anything that I can pay a professional to do.