Bilstein shocks thread

Just installed the 5100's on the front of my 17 with a Zone 4.5. I set them to stock height. I changed the rears a few weeks back. I used the strut tower on top of them.

This was a good upgrade, which is sad that a set of shocks with 5,500 miles in visibly good shape and rode that poorly. When I say poor ride I mean that Rancho has no decent uptravel control. The on pavement ride was ok, but the Bilsteins are better.

This wasn't a night and day difference for me, but definitely worth the mod.

Sent via Morse code

I suppose I should have asked, will the truck ride just as well on the stock setting as it would on the lifted levels? 

I just wondered if the lighter/lifted settings preload the springs more than on the stock setting? 

Seems I keep getting different opinions, so I'm second guessing everything lol

I have the Bilstein 5100 Ride Height adjustable shocks installed on the 3rd setting (2nd highest) and my truck is almost perfectly level. Only the most critical of observers would notice a very slight forward rake.

I really don’t like the look of a truck with a higher front than back and of all the trucks I’ve seen with 5100s on the highest setting, the front is just a bit above level.

Regarding the spring compression, quality of the ride and installing spacers, the thread below has a lot of useful info. I cannot comment if the truck rides as well on the stock setting as the third because I’ve never had the Bilsteins on the stock setting. Compared to the Rancho shocks on the stock setting vs the Bilsteins on the third, the Bilsteins ride much better.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/183204-consequences-of-a-15-level-lift-on-a-sierrasilverado-1500/

• Like 1

I called them two weeks ago (they are close to my work). Guy said this fall. (fall is now) so don't know. need shocks and need 2" lift to run 33's. Want a premium shock and the only other (more expensive) good option seems to be the Icons. I really want a shock with a larger body and 5/8 shaft. Not enough positive reviews on King or fox entry level 2.5's and longevity. 

Bilstein provides the best durability for DD, and they don't seem to loose performance much over time or miles in my experience where a King or Fox will need regular service to maintain performance (I read they recommend service intervals of 30k mi or so). 

8 hours ago, kennerz said:

I called them two weeks ago (they are close to my work). Guy said this fall. (fall is now) so don't know. need shocks and need 2" lift to run 33's. Want a premium shock and the only other (more expensive) good option seems to be the Icons. I really want a shock with a larger body and 5/8 shaft. Not enough positive reviews on King or fox entry level 2.5's and longevity. 

Bilstein provides the best durability for DD, and they don't seem to loose performance much over time or miles in my experience where a King or Fox will need regular service to maintain performance (I read they recommend service intervals of 30k mi or so). 

Agreed, i was looking into the Fox 2.0 and 2.5's and neither of them seem to have very good reviews. I find it a bit weird the 2019's are a new platform and they still don't have the 6112's for the 2014-2018 trucks, fingers crossed! 

8 hours ago, kennerz said:

See what you think about this kit.

https://www.halolifts.com/GMC_c_149.html

I run the Rancho RS9000 series on my vehicles.  They are an adjustable shock that is very durable. I had a set on my 06 Jeep Rubicon that I trailed  a lot. Shocks never gave me an issue and rode much better than stock.

I had a set on my 12 GMC 2500 after adding a Zone lift to it. The Zone shocks rode really bad.

Added the Rancho RS 9000's and it literally was a night/day differnce and then some!

I rode in a truck that has Bilstein shocks.  To me the Rancho RS9000's rode a lot better.

Edited by churchy1313

2 hours ago, churchy1313 said:

I run the Rancho RS9000 series on my vehicles.  They are an adjustable shock that is very durable. I had a set on my 06 Jeep Rubicon that I trailed  a lot. Shocks never gave me an issue and rode much better than stock.

I had a set on my 12 GMC 2500 after adding a Zone lift to it. The Zone shocks rode really bad.

Added the Rancho RS 9000's and it literally was a night/day differnce and then some!

I rode in a truck that has Bilstein shocks.  To me the Rancho RS9000's rode a lot better.

The 9000's are adjustable so they can be dampened down quite a bit.

Not much of a fair comparison with the 1 set valving of the 5100s

Longevity is questionable. The adjustment twist knobs on these do not seem to hold up well.

Out of the 5 sets of the Ranchos I’ve had

i never had a problem with the knobs.

i had 2 sets for over 4 years with no issues.

on the Jeep, I turned the knobs a lot for different terrain, never had an issue.

im getting a pair of rear ones installed this week with a zone 4.5” lift

I apologize if this particular question has been answered but I've searched and searched and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.  I'm running stock tire size and have no plans to run larger tires.  I put 5100's all around a couple weeks ago and love the ride at the stock setting for the front.  I came from a '09 Sierra that had more ground clearance than this '18.  I have 9" at the air dam and 10" to the step rails.  The dam on my '09 is in the backwoods somewhere and it was higher.  

I don't want a full 2" lift and am contemplating moving the fronts to the .75" or 1.25" setting and adding another inch to the rear.  I've seen numerous posts where the 1.25" setting is more like 1.5".  I've found two posts where the poster has theirs at the .75" setting.  One said it gave .75" and the other said 1".  If it's 1" I'll probably move to that setting.  I'd really like the 1.25" if that's what it really does.

14 hours ago, Mileguru said:

See what you think about this kit.

https://www.halolifts.com/GMC_c_149.html

They look promising, but not much history or info on Halo. From years of off road experience I found that it's best to go with the company with the best reputation for performance and quality(properly valved shocks combined with the right technology make a radical difference). I've seen enough on ICON to be convinced that they are legitimate and have a solid understanding on how to create a true high performance shock.

I'm a fan of King actually, just for the cost proposition of even the entry level fronts ($1600) from what I've seen. The added maintenance schedule, and no digressive valving for a mostly street truck with the occasional off road not sure they are the right fit for me. King quality is second to none, just everything I've seen with them (Buggies/utv's) always needs them re-valved or rebuilt after a season or two. Which is cool for a Hi performance toy, not a daily driver IMHO 

To me Bilsteins are kind of generic, but they provide a lot of value & as long as they don't leak seem to last much longer than any other shock I've seen( on cars I've mostly had Bilstein and Koni). I just want to buy once...

They look promising, but not much history or info on Halo. From years of off road experience I found that it's best to go with the company with the best reputation for performance and quality(properly valved shocks combined with the right technology make a radical difference). I've seen enough on ICON to be convinced that they are legitimate and have a solid understanding on how to create a true high performance shock.

I'm a fan of King actually, just for the cost proposition of even the entry level fronts ($1600) from what I've seen. The added maintenance schedule, and no digressive valving for a mostly street truck with the occasional off road not sure they are the right fit for me. King quality is second to none, just everything I've seen with them (Buggies/utv's) always needs them re-valved or rebuilt after a season or two. Which is cool for a Hi performance toy, not a daily driver IMHO 

To me Bilsteins are kind of generic, but they provide a lot of value & as long as they don't leak seem to last much longer than any other shock I've seen( on cars I've mostly had Bilstein and Koni). I just want to buy once...

For a street driven truck they don't need to be rebuilt that often. Once every 60-70k miles would be fine unless you're coating the shafts with dirt/sand all the time. Which is exactly the reason they need to be rebuilt so often on an Offroad vehicle. Street vehicle, not so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk