Bilstein shocks thread

Yeah, I think that at this point, if you buy a $50k truck and you already put money into level kits, tires and stuff and are gonna pay for better shocks...  Why cheap out on a couple hours of labor for installing those shocks?

I would prefer the peace of mind of letting a reputable and insured shop doing it, and if the wheel alignment has to be done anyway, might as well just hand them the truck, and let them do it all and do it right the first time, and if something goes wonky, it's on them.

Are the Ranchos on the 2018's really that crappy?  I mean, if I go to the Bil 5100's, is the difference really that profound, or is it largely placebo?

• Like 1

Yeah, I think that at this point, if you buy a $50k truck and you already put money into level kits, tires and stuff and are gonna pay for better shocks...  Why cheap out on a couple hours of labor for installing those shocks?

I would prefer the peace of mind of letting a reputable and insured shop doing it, and if the wheel alignment has to be done anyway, might as well just hand them the truck, and let them do it all and do it right the first time, and if something goes wonky, it's on them.

Are the Ranchos on the 2018's really that crappy?  I mean, if I go to the Bil 5100's, is the difference really that profound, or is it largely placebo?

Speaking from experience, YES! I replaced my Ranchos with 5100’s after a few thousand miles and immediately noticed a much more controlled ride. I gave my Ranchos to my yard guy which I religiously do every time I buy a truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/26/2018 at 12:50 PM, TXGREEK said:

It is NOT an easy process, pulling off your stock coil is very dangerous and DO NOT RECOMMEND DIY unless you have the proper equipment! Now, the rear are easy as brushing your teeth.

You haven't seen my teeth  ?

• Like 1

Is there any reason why a set of 5100s would fit a 2018 Silverado 1500 and not fit a 2014 Sierra 1500 with the same drive train and trim level? 4 Wheel Drive Parts is $297 shipped but it says it will fit one and not the other. Their site says the ones for the 2014 are $360.

I have to run out at lunch time to pick up a new gun, and I am gonna swing by the local off road shop and see what suggestions they have.  www.flatoutauto.com is the place that the dealer had do my level kit, so we will see what they say.  At the very least, a nicer set of shocks might soak up the bumps and rocks a bit better..

12 hours ago, Druder said:

Is there any reason why a set of 5100s would fit a 2018 Silverado 1500 and not fit a 2014 Sierra 1500 with the same drive train and trim level? 4 Wheel Drive Parts is $297 shipped but it says it will fit one and not the other. Their site says the ones for the 2014 are $360.

If you are seeing that S/DShockingBIL5100 part number for $297 I'm not really sure what that is, but it's not what you need. It doesn't have any part numbers for the shocks and the fitment list doesn't make sense.  It looks like some kind of universal kit for lifted trucks and I bet it's 4 of the same shock. 

I don't see a package deal for $360 but if I put the correct front and rear shocks in the cart and use the 5% off code it comes out to $356.60 then there is $32 in sales tax of where I live making the shipped total $388.69

I can get them on Amazon for $358.32 right now. Someone mentioned AJUSA earlier and they are $334.79 shipped with a 2% off code. Doesn't look like they will add on tax.  

On some websites even after putting in your model and year will still show you 4 shocks for that cheap price, CALL FIRST before ordering cause their not the right ones, promise!

On some websites even after putting in your model and year will still show you 4 shocks for that cheap price, CALL FIRST before ordering cause their not the right ones, promise!

Yeah, search by the actual part numbers.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So I went over to FlatOutAuto yesterday and here is my game plan.  SST makes a 4" lift kit for this truck, that isn't too invasive as far as the install.  It will give me a solid 4" all around, move the diff, etc...  We are gonna do that in the spring, along with upgrading the shocks to the correct Bilstein 5100's at the same time.  Total with installation should be around $2600, give or take.  That will greatly improve the clearance and handling of the truck, ensure proper suspension geometry, etc...

So I went over to FlatOutAuto yesterday and here is my game plan.  SST makes a 4" lift kit for this truck, that isn't too invasive as far as the install.  It will give me a solid 4" all around, move the diff, etc...  We are gonna do that in the spring, along with upgrading the shocks to the correct Bilstein 5100's at the same time.  Total with installation should be around $2600, give or take.  That will greatly improve the clearance and handling of the truck, ensure proper suspension geometry, etc...

New UCA’s?

Here is the lift kit, but they said that they also replace some stock part with an aftermarket part that is not in the kit... He said the stock part will work with it, but wears out faster so they swap that out as well.  I would be doing this kit, plus that part, and then the Bilsteins all for around $2600 installed.

https://www.readylift.com/4-sst-lift-kit-gm-silverado-sierra-1500-4wd-z71-w-cast-al-or-stamped-steel-uca-2014-2018-1.html

• Like 1

Here is the lift kit, but they said that they also replace some stock part with an aftermarket part that is not in the kit... He said the stock part will work with it, but wears out faster so they swap that out as well.  I would be doing this kit, plus that part, and then the Bilsteins all for around $2600 installed.

https://www.readylift.com/4-sst-lift-kit-gm-silverado-sierra-1500-4wd-z71-w-cast-al-or-stamped-steel-uca-2014-2018-1.html

Don’t know anything about it but hope it all works out for you!

I wouldn't run this if I were you. just a huge spacer. You'll kill your lower balljoints quickly and the ride will be less than desirable because you won't have any down travel and will hit the arm droop stops every time you hit a bump. Take a look at the zone 4" lift instead

• Like 1