Bilstein shocks thread

1 hour ago, jgraves13 said:

I wouldn't run this if I were you. just a huge spacer. You'll kill your lower balljoints quickly and the ride will be less than desirable because you won't have any down travel and will hit the arm droop stops every time you hit a bump. Take a look at the zone 4" lift instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really?  It looks like it replaces the UCAs and it drops the diff, which I assume would put the drive shafts at a better angle... Maybe the other part that they replace in addition to the lift kit are the ball joints?

They warranty their stuff, so if this was a problem I assume they would want to avoid that?  I will ask them.

These guys said they have good luck with them, and combining them with the 5100's they said really makes for a nice ride.  I should be able to step up another size in tire as well.  It's got a 285/65r18 on it now, I might be able to squeeze in 1 size taller.  That's about it for this truck, they say to get 35's you need a bigger lift and to probably trim fenders and stuff.  I won't go that far...

Maybe they will warranty, I'm not sure. Beefing up the balljoints only helps to an extent, if the angles are shit, the angles are shit. Doesn't matter if it's a big balljoint or a small one.

As far as ride, maybe it rides okay. But it definitely won't ride as good as a kit where your arms aren't overextended and riding on the droop stops at ride height.

Some care, some don't. Really up to you, just giving you my opinion and I know some others on this forum and silveradosierra.com would agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SquireSCA said:

These guys said they have good luck with them, and combining them with the 5100's they said really makes for a nice ride.  I should be able to step up another size in tire as well.  It's got a 285/65r18 on it now, I might be able to squeeze in 1 size taller.  That's about it for this truck, they say to get 35's you need a bigger lift and to probably trim fenders and stuff.  I won't go that far...

What wheels and tires do you have now? I was looking at those upper control arms and found out that you have to run wheels with a certain back spacing to work with those control arms. I ended up going with cognito control arms 

08453A69-78F4-4687-8E40-4545FD6B8382.jpeg

1224306D-F7EA-4D47-B17C-5FA0D7E4EDE2.jpeg

Still a work in progress.  So far I just added a JL Audio 250W amp and 8" sub under the back seat, had the dealer install a 2.25" front level kit and 3" lift in the rear to keep a little factory rake, upgraded the tires, plugged in the box to disable AFM and force it to 8cyl mode all the time(Range Box), removed the muffler, exhaust flapper and resonator and had a shop weld in SS piping, and then added a chrome exhaust tip from an Escalade... so straight pipe from the cats back, sounds great.

I removed the lower air dam and side steps for more clearance, and then yesterday removed the entire black plastic lower bumper and chrome mustache, and on Friday I am having a double row of "black chrome" light bar installed in the gap created between the rescue hooks...  Oh, and I took out the crappy plastic skid plates and installed the heavy aluminum ones from GM, the cover the front and the oil pan... transfer case already had steel plate protecting it...

I will take nice pics on Sat, after the light bar system is installed.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SquireSCA said:

Stock wheels, with Ridgegrappler 285/65/r18 on them

20181030_164043 small.jpg

Found this on their website. I would call and confirm with them about wheel figment before ordering the kit if you do decided to pull the trigger.  This is their leveling/control arm combo kit but it uses the same control arms. 

11132FED-B5CF-4925-8C1E-A7D1947595EE.jpeg

Gentlemen,

I've read about 4 pages and realized there is just way too much on here to read it all. I'm a little confused, I have a 2018 1500 Z71 midnight edition. I'd like to fit 33's, so I was going to level my truck using one of the kits online. From what I gather, its possible to do this using the Bilstein adjustable 5100's? Where is everyone buying these?

Cliffs anyone? Sorry for the laziness but 112 pages man, holy hell.

FZ71 Skywalker post...

i understand - when faced with too many choices we tend to “not choose!”

Here is our three week old Sierra 1500 SLT

My GOALS:  

- Custom wheels to improve appearance.

- Maintain or Improve factory ride comfort.

- A simple “proven” and effective lift solution which was a reasonable cost.much.

- Crowd Favorite ...something the majority of reviewers agreed was a great upgrade.

- Must Have is a snow rated a/t tire for our mountain passes here in Oregon or Jackson Wyoming.

Simple:

I just didn’t want a hassle, or multiple shop visits. So a plug-n-play solution

Here’s what I did:

20” x 9” Fuel wheels to help fill the fender wells and dress up (a plain looking) truck. Very conservative custom look.

275x65x20 BFG KO2 tires 

quiet, good ride, proven respected tire with a snowflake symbol (indicating snow rated)

Cost wheels and tires:

(Discount Tire - $2185 with rebate coupons)

Bilstein 5100 (adjustable front) shocks

(height set one click from the top setting) set of four shocks $345 + install cost 

Result:

*Better Ride

*Improved Handling

*Taller stance

*Customized appearance

Am super happy with end result.

This is is a temporary truck for me. I will drive 12 months and donate to my daughter ...

Note:

this is a 2018 SLT Sierra 1500 with a “Denali-look” grill installed by dealer and front bumper vinyl wrapped (in black) $300 for wrap 

i hope hope this helps somebody :) who’s looking for ideas. This is about as simple and conservative + proven as you can get.

Would love to have Terra’s on there, with their amazing look (trail?)... have owned them before and loved the look! But I need a highway distance “ride” for those occasional 7 hour+ drive/days.”

note: actual final stance is a slight rake with rear higher. This stance appears level, but actual truck stance is slightly lifted in rear.

Result: quiet riding BFG’s, better ride overall with 5100’s and a “snow rated” year round A/T tire

Smiles

Stock setup awaiting Discount Tire install

A22CE0C3-49B8-4073-8D61-D3F94DC9D2B4.jpeg

EDE2FE19-21DB-4FFE-A593-79CBC98FDC72.jpeg

3B39927D-69D3-4AD5-9F86-CE44C9FB9BDD.jpeg

Edited by Oregon_GMC1500
  • Like 1

Additional image:

whoops!!!! 

Forgot to mention slight rubbing when full turn in backing up.

5600E5B6-B9F1-4583-BC50-2887253B011D.thumb.jpeg.78a2943101019dff4f91cfb736c190a3.jpegMinor trimming solved the problem. 275x60 would prob have fit without rubbing. But I was looking for the highest sidewall possible without a lift. And I didn’t want the leveling-kit option because of reports of diminished ride quality with leveling kits.

DCC2620D-E58D-4CD8-9A65-39EA6580F4B0.jpeg

Edited by Oregon_GMC1500

I added 5100's this week. 3rd setting. Also 275/60r20 cooper AT3 4s tires. Like the setup.  Much better ride and handling compared to the stock Ranchos. 

20181019_175344.thumb.jpg.8dd05780ae825aa8404c3a03df2496b5.jpg
I have almost and identical set up to you except I'm running the Cooper 275 70 r18 and I'm curious if you like the handling I just adjusted my bilsteins from the second to the bottom to the 3rd setting and driving to Houston yesterday I found myself getting carsick from the constant vibration it just seems like setting to is too soft and there's not enough rebound in setting 3 it is a brutal ride

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I added 5100's this week. 3rd setting. Also 275/60r20 cooper AT3 4s tires. Like the setup.  Much better ride and handling compared to the stock Ranchos. 

20181019_175344.thumb.jpg.8dd05780ae825aa8404c3a03df2496b5.jpg
I have almost and identical set up to you except I'm running the Cooper 275 70 r18 and I'm curious if you like the handling I just adjusted my bilsteins from the second to the bottom to the 3rd setting and driving to Houston yesterday I found myself getting carsick from the constant vibration it just seems like setting to is too soft and there's not enough rebound in setting 3 it is a brutal ride

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk