Bilstein shocks thread

I did look at RockAuto they don't stock this part.

I ordered from GM parts direct but they wants three weeks to deliver it which seems absurd, they did offer 3 day delivery but wanted $140.00 for shipping which is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ah, you must have something else then a 1500. Mine were in stock.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Alright guys, got my 5100s installed this weekend and had a chance to put about 20 miles on them so far. I'll update in a month or so when I get some more (my DD is a company vehicle). My truck is 2018 Silverado Z71 crew, 800 miles and  275/65r18 Duratrac tires- P rated as I wanted to avoid LT tires.  I live in MN so the roads are much rougher than what you guys get down south due to the hot and humid summers and freezing winters. I was very concerned with ride quality. 

Because my truck had a lot less rake than what people report theirs had, 2.25", I went with the 3rd setting (1.25" lift) and replaced the rear 1.25" block with a 2" flat block, no taper. This gave me a 1 3/8" lift up front, 3/4" out back.  End result is I maintained 1 5/8" rake.  For me, this is the perfect amount of rake as I don't like the level look.  I've also read the 2017-2018s use stamped steel arms and we can't lift as high without replacing arms than you 2014-early 2017 guys.  I wanted to stay under 1.5"

A lot of guys are swapping out their shocks at 30-60k miles, so it might not be a real fair comparison to new Bilsteins.  I also saw some complaints about a rough ride and am happy to report the ride is no harsher than basically new Ranchos, I'd say it's actually a tad bit softer on small cracks.  It doesn't have the long lasting shudder on big bumps either. I have not driven on the highway yet to see if the wallowing is better/fixed. 

I didn't have any highway vibration before, but I did have some in 1st gear on hard acceleration.  Right when you hit the gas and some near the end of 1st.  I didn't notice any in 2nd gear on up.  The dealer said they noticed it when I brought it in but it's normal and they all do it, no tsb on the issue.  We know that's false and there is a tsb dealing with driveline angles.  Well it appears the small front and rear lift brought those levels more inline as I didn't notice any vibration on either hard launches I did today.  

So far I really like them.  Hope to feel that way as I get some more miles on them.  I really disliked my Ranchos and was surprised how much I didn't care for the ride on a new vehicle.  

• Like 2

Alright guys, got my 5100s installed this weekend and had a chance to put about 20 miles on them so far. I'll update in a month or so when I get some more (my DD is a company vehicle). My truck is 2018 Silverado Z71 crew, 800 miles and  275/65r18 Duratrac tires- P rated as I wanted to avoid LT tires.  I live in MN so the roads are much rougher than what you guys get down south due to the hot and humid summers and freezing winters. I was very concerned with ride quality. 

Because my truck had a lot less rake than what people report theirs had, 2.25", I went with the 3rd setting (1.25" lift) and replaced the rear 1.25" block with a 2" flat block, no taper. This gave me a 1 3/8" lift up front, 3/4" out back.  End result is I maintained 1 5/8" rake.  For me, this is the perfect amount of rake as I don't like the level look.  I've also read the 2017-2018s use stamped steel arms and we can't lift as high without replacing arms than you 2014-early 2017 guys.  I wanted to stay under 1.5"

A lot of guys are swapping out their shocks at 30-60k miles, so it might not be a real fair comparison to new Bilsteins.  I also saw some complaints about a rough ride and am happy to report the ride is no harsher than basically new Ranchos, I'd say it's actually a tad bit softer on small cracks.  It doesn't have the long lasting shudder on big bumps either. I have not driven on the highway yet to see if the wallowing is better/fixed. 

I didn't have any highway vibration before, but I did have some in 1st gear on hard acceleration.  Right when you hit the gas and some near the end of 1st.  I didn't notice any in 2nd gear on up.  The dealer said they noticed it when I brought it in but it's normal and they all do it, no tsb on the issue.  We know that's false and there is a tsb dealing with driveline angles.  Well it appears the small front and rear lift brought those levels more inline as I didn't notice any vibration on either hard launches I did today.  

So far I really like them.  Hope to feel that way as I get some more miles on them.  I really disliked my Ranchos and was surprised how much I didn't care for the ride on a new vehicle.  

Congrats, they’ll start softening up a bit more as time and usage goes by.

I have a 2014 silverado cc and have a 2” zone lift in it. When it was installed I was told by the installers that the rear shocks were now too short. I’m looking at the 5100s and after reading I still am not sure..... are the rear 5100s longer and will help with this?  

3 hours ago, J-rod_5114 said:

I have a 2014 silverado cc and have a 2” zone lift in it. When it was installed I was told by the installers that the rear shocks were now too short. I’m looking at the 5100s and after reading I still am not sure..... are the rear 5100s longer and will help with this?  

5100's will accommodate up to 1" over in the rear. 

I hate to report my Bilsteins are causing a problem.

I can no longer do burn outs and get sideways with no problem. It's like the k2s are stuck to the ground. This really sucks lol! To me these struts and shocks provide a sporty ride quality like a Camaro. I have mine at the highest setting, that being said the ride is a bit stiff. I'm used to it though as I've used the 4500s in the past and know these will keep big tires and wheels planted. I wouldn't buy these for comfort by any means.

21 hours ago, Snowcamo said:

I hate to report my Bilsteins are causing a problem.

I can no longer do burn outs and get sideways with no problem. It's like the k2s are stuck to the ground. This really sucks lol! To me these struts and shocks provide a sporty ride quality like a Camaro. I have mine at the highest setting, that being said the ride is a bit stiff. I'm used to it though as I've used the 4500s in the past and know these will keep big tires and wheels planted. I wouldn't buy these for comfort by any means.

quick , take em off and send em to me ;) 

• Like 2

On 11/27/2018 at 9:52 PM, TXGREEK said:

Congrats, they’ll start softening up a bit more as time and usage goes by.

The more I drive it, I notice they are a tad firm. Really it's on the highway the truck still feels a little bouncy, especially on concrete.  I'd have gone with the 6112 if they were available as they're supposed to ride better.  They have been coming soon for years though.  

The more I drive it, I notice they are a tad firm. Really it's on the highway the truck still feels a little bouncy, especially on concrete.  I'd have gone with the 6112 if they were available as they're supposed to ride better.  They have been coming soon for years though.  

That’s cause they’re performance shocks, mine rode the same way and softened up after a month or two. The 6112’s are not made as well as CST, FOX, KING or ICON. In my opinion, after comparing Bilsteins to real performance Shocks, Bilsteins are beginner, entry level shocks. I found Bilsteins, their resi’s have molded plastic caps on the ends, very cheesy.

Remember, Bilsteins are not necessarily valved as the upper name brands, they need breaking in.

19 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Btw, the 6112’s are identical to the 5100’s only they have knock-off resi’s lol

Actually they use their own spring, which is longer and a different spring rate than the oem unit.  Due to it being longer it doesn't have to preload the OEM spring, it actually lowers the spring perch for a lifted spring height.  

Additionally the strut uses a larger diameter Piston and is valved completely differently due to it using different spring rate/length.  

Basically, it's called completely different.  It doesn't use a remote resevior either.  

The 5160 is closer to what you describe but has different compression and rebound rates than the regular 5100.  

Actually they use their own spring, which is longer and a different spring rate than the oem unit.  Due to it being longer it doesn't have to preload the OEM spring, it actually lowers the spring perch for a lifted spring height.  

Additionally the strut uses a larger diameter Piston and is valved completely differently due to it using different spring rate/length.  

Basically, it's called completely different.  It doesn't use a remote resevior either.  

The 5160 is closer to what you describe but has different compression and rebound rates than the regular 5100.  

You’re correct, confused the two.

Btw, I ran over a few speed bumps pretty hard in order to breakin my Bilstein 5100’s. I even put on brand new 5100’s as temporary shocks after the lift in order to have something to compare to. Once I switched and went with CST Coilovers, I new I had a winner with the CST. CST actually runs and tests them on the vehicles they sell them to be installed on, quite possibly the main reason they’re so far higher quality. Bilsteins are far better shocks than stock, that’s for sure.

2 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Btw, I ran over a few speed bumps pretty hard in order to breakin my Bilstein 5100’s. I even put on brand new 5100’s as temporary shocks after the lift in order to have something to compare to. Once I switched and went with CST Coilovers, I new I had a winner with the CST. CST actually runs and tests them on the vehicles they sell them to be installed on, quite possibly the main reason they’re so far higher quality. Bilsteins are far better shocks than stock, that’s for sure.

Which CST kit do you have?  I've also looked into HaloLift Boss, at $899 for the fronts.   I think the Bilstein 6112s are $699 for other vehicles and imagine they will be the same for GM 1500s. 

Is your ride bouncy on the freeway, especially concrete ones with expansion joints?  Was it before?