Bilstein shocks thread

Ya I don't think the stock z71 shocks are an upgrade from the z60 shocks at all. I really want to love my quicklifts. And I do love the shocks, its the coil in them that ruins them. Way to high of a spring rate, and I bet they're progressive. I will be keeping my rear rs9000xl's when I get 6112's in the future.

Just asked Bilstein for ya. I know the GM/Chev application is the next one they are going to release for sure.

Are you allowed to release any info on them? I'm curious to know what height settings they will have and what the rate of the spring is. Some pictures would be cool tool.

I am so over my factory suspension. I can't wait for these 5100's to get back in stock. So much brake dive and its just so rough over bumps. I'm driving out to Colorado at the end of the month, I would love to have these installed before then but I doubt its going to happen.

Does anyone know what type of springs are used from the factory? Progressive or Linear? I've been looking at the Pro Como shocks and Fox 2.0 coilovers for the front as well. Both are more expensive compared to the Bilsteins but I think would drastically improve the handling.

Agreed factory suspension is horrible, I think the stock z71 uses progressive and the z60 uses linear. I'm not positive I'm just basing that off the way they ride in relation to each other. If I could get a nice soft linear coil for my quicklifts they would be great. I'm sick of jarring over bumps that a 20 year old beater could handle.

Edited by projectsummit

#2 makes sense if you are talking about travel length. A longer shock doesn't necessarily have a longer travel. Also longer shocks will increase down travel and require new upper control arms.

Yes, that's a good point. I mentioned extended length because that's usually the limiting factor, but travel is important as well. For example, the Bilstein 5100's have 3.86" of stroke. My extended travel ICONs have 4.87" of travel. Wheel travel is increased nearly two inches which really helps soak up the bumps.

The suspension travel length is slightly different too to maximize travel.

What are the length and travel specs? What is the spring rate?

So I just realized yesterday that my truck came equipped with the "High Performance/Sports" Suspension, and is probably the reason why my particular truck rides so stiff. So two questions, does anyone know what exactly is different about the z60 package? I've done allot of searching and there are mixed results, from just a front sway bar, to springs, shocks, sway bar.

And, with the 5100's installed how does the z60 ride?

So I just realized yesterday that my truck came equipped with the "High Performance/Sports" Suspension, and is probably the reason why my particular truck rides so stiff. So two questions, does anyone know what exactly is different about the z60 package? I've done allot of searching and there are mixed results, from just a front sway bar, to springs, shocks, sway bar.

And, with the 5100's installed how does the z60 ride?

You have the z60? Its supposed to be softer riding than the z71. Personally I think my z71 is way too harsh. 5100's at the stock setting might be similar in stiffness to z60, but as soon as you change the setting to raise the front end it gets much stiffer.

You have the z60? Its supposed to be softer riding than the z71. Personally I think my z71 is way too harsh. 5100's at the stock setting might be similar in stiffness to z60, but as soon as you change the setting to raise the front end it gets much stiffer.

uY3cCdM.jpg

yup!

Everything I've read is the opposite as you have said. I just don't think it makes sense to have a stiffer Z71 suspension that is more off-road oriented, on the contrary it should be softer. But the Z60 is supposed to sit 1" lower, and overall stiffer for "sportier" handling. I do notice that it's quite flat during cornering, so it definitely does feel that there is a large front sway bar. However there is still quite a bit of brake dive. I have parked next to other 2wd Sierra/Silverados and I have noticed that my truck sits lower more than a few times. One of our subs just bought a 2015 2wd SLT and def sits 1-2" higher. Next time he stops by I need to check what suspension package he is running to compare.

I'm kind of hoping that by leveling with the 5100's it would eliminate some of the heavy brake dive and soften up some of the harder bumps. Since I will be raising the front, some of the weight of the truck will shift towards the rear and even if its just fractional, allow the rear brakes to contribute more.

But overall I haven't found a solid source which says what actually consists of the Z60 package.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/73028-z60-sport-suspension-high-performance/?do=findComment&comment=543537

Post describing suspension packages on last gen trucks. Don't know if this can still be applied to our newer trucks.

Z71
  • The Z71 suspension is designed for off-road driving. It comes with 46-millimeter twin-tube, gas-charged shocks, a skid plate to protect the truck's underbelly, and a sensitive automatic rear-locking differential for added grip in muddy, and all-terrain environments. Chevrolet also offers a Z71 appearance package that includes 18 inch aluminum wheels, painted body color wheels and door handles, body color grille with a chrome insert, and improved shocks.

Z60
  • Silverados with the Z60 suspension are said to focus on "street performance". The Z60 package includes 20 inch tires, and sits around an inch lower in the front, and two inches lower in the back than standard Silverados, because of the sport suspension. This model is designed to improve cornering and holding capabilities on the road.

Performance
  • Both the Z60 and Z71 suspensions improve handling and steering slightly over the standard Z85 and Z83 models. The Z71 package offers a better overall ride quality as the improved shocks make for more controlled body movements. The Z60 is a stiffer drive in comparison.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/list_7385372_difference-silverado-z60-z71.html

Found this too, but no sources.

EDIT: I did find this;

IFIRIWm.jpg

Pretty much just reaffirms that its just a sway bar upgrade. I would love to know if there is actual evidence of GM using different spring rates throughout their different packages.

Edited by WendysOrBust

My 2014 LTZ also has the Z60 suspension. I agree it was stiff and seemed to bounce a lot before I put the Bilstein 5100s on. Now it is much more controlled and smooth without the harsh bouncing. My wife says she no longer feels like a bobble head.

• Like 2

My 2014 LTZ also has the Z60 suspension. I agree it was stiff and seemed to bounce a lot before I put the Bilstein 5100s on. Now it is much more controlled and smooth without the harsh bouncing. My wife says she no longer feels like a bobble head.

Thx for the input, kinda what I wanted to hear. Now if only they could re-stock these so I can buy them. All the places I've looked say Mid July.

:/

Edited by WendysOrBust

I'm pretty sure most of that info is from the previous generation. I was under the impression the new ones only have the black shocks or the z71 ranchos. All z60 black shock trucks I've rode in are softer riding than the z71's but still kind of stiff. If you think your shocks are stiff and you plan on running 5100's at max setting you will most likely be disappointed.

"With a slightly wider track, a retuned and engineered front coil over suspension, and extensive work on new hydraulic body mounts, the control the Z60 (softer, but secured) and the Z71 (firmer, but forgiving) suspensions offer are vastly superior and more adaptable than the ones they replace"

• Like 1

"With a slightly wider track, a retuned and engineered front coil over suspension, and extensive work on new hydraulic body mounts, the control the Z60 (softer, but secured) and the Z71 (firmer, but forgiving) suspensions offer are vastly superior and more adaptable than the ones they replace"

Source? I've looked as much as I can and I've came up with all sorts of ideas as to what the z60 actually is. I have read one or two posts on different forums saying the z71 is stiffer/firmer vs the z60 but found no concrete evidence to back this up. The post I made above, while also lacking a source. Does say that the z60 is stiffer than the z71 as its more geared towards on-pavement handling. It also does not make sense for GM to have a stiffer suspension on their z71 package as its more off-road oriented, it should be the contrary.

I think the reason why the z60 is stiff overall is due to its stiff front sway bar. In retrospect it is much like my 04 Ram Diesel, that had a huge front sway bar. Not very noticeable when on smooth roads, but going over bumps, or any uneven pavement, would translate into a jarring and bumpy ride.

Its right there to what I'm currently experiencing. The only real solution would be to disable the front sway bar, or if it is indeed larger than the z71, replace it with one of those. But I'm going to wait on any of these solutions to see how the ride changes when I eventually upgrade to the 5100's.

I completely disconnected my sway bar and it didn't help my stiffness. I'll see if I can find that source. It was from a 2014 review. It does make sense for the z71 to be stiffer because a shock with higher damping can handle big bumpers at higher speeds.

Edited by projectsummit

The Tacoma 6112's are priced at 1100 bucks canadian per shock... If that is any representation of what the gm ones will be, I think ill opt out even know they will be a huge upgrade. Anyone have another other pricing they have seen?