4:10 vs 3:73 gears, 6.0L

I've got a 2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 with the 6.0l and 3:73 gears. Just wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a huge difference between the two gear ratios, as in towing performance and difference in RPM at cruising speed on the highway. I live in SouthWest British Columbia and anywhere I go camping requires pulling my 5000lb RV and 4 dirtbikes in the back of the truck up steep grades. I got the truck late last year and so far have only used the truck in this scenario (and with the A/C on) once and so far wasn't too impressed. Not sure if my expectations are too high? Would it be worth replacing the gears? what would be a rough estimate as to cost of replacing gears?

thanks,

Andy

I think there is about 3000-4000lbs more towing capacity with the 4.10. I have had gear sets replaced on a 4x4 and since I didnt have the skills & tools it was roughly 5-600 bucks for each end. I can tell the difference between 3.73 & 4.10 cause Ive had both rode nicely at about 2100rpm depending on what i was dragging around. Did you try tow haul mode and/or using the Manual gear selector?

Andy,

4spd or 6 spd trans? If 6spd, did you use the tow/haul and manual mode like crankman asked? We have the 3.73's, and if I was given a choice, would have taken the 4.10's.... BUT, only because of the additional GCWR and tow rating the 4.10's have. While it may have been easier on the motor, it doesn't in anyway struggle with ~7200lbs now, but we live in Mid-Mi, no major mtns here.

If 4spd, maybe think about regearing.

If you left it in "D", try manual next time. The newer motors need to rev a little more than previous (5.0,5.7) motors to make the power.

• 5 weeks later...

I prefer the 4.10, it seems to be a good fit for me. I had an 07 with 3.73 and now have a 2014 with 4.10 both 6.0 gas. I prefer the 4.10, its the best combination for towing and in my view it does not impact fuel milage that much.... I think its the better choice all around. I tow around 10K in weight (trailer + gear + FJ 60).

• 2 weeks later...

I believe they only offer the 4:10 ratio with the 6.0 now. (2015 and 2016)

Dmax gets the 3.73's (only).

In 2014's they offered both ratio's with the 6.0.

For 2014, trailer tow rating with a 6.0 and 4.10 is about 30% higher than with 3.73. Exact rating also depends on which cab and box.

If I were making a habit towing, I'd consider a diesel. That load would be a breeze for a duramax.

In a conversation with Justin @BBP, he related that the 2500 6.0L responded exceptionally to a tune.

I have to side with 4.10's for almost every situation. I had them in my '98 2500 with a 454 and now in my 2015 2500 with a 6.0L. Most of my driving around on rural, hilly roads, I leave it in manual mode and hardly ever go beyond 5th with my 6 speed. A real good fit for all of my needs.... empty, hauling, or towing.

I've got a 2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 with the 6.0l and 3:73 gears. Just wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a huge difference between the two gear ratios, as in towing performance and difference in RPM at cruising speed on the highway. I live in SouthWest British Columbia and anywhere I go camping requires pulling my 5000lb RV and 4 dirtbikes in the back of the truck up steep grades. I got the truck late last year and so far have only used the truck in this scenario (and with the A/C on) once and so far wasn't too impressed. Not sure if my expectations are too high? Would it be worth replacing the gears? what would be a rough estimate as to cost of replacing gears?

thanks,

Andy

If you are talking about going up Snowshed, it will be slow either way. I'd try it again with T/H on and try picking a gear. Gear swap will be minimum $800 an axle. You will see a 10% increase in RPM at any speed. If you plan on doing it a lot, then a 07 Duramax would be a better choice. I had an 01 and could do the Snowshed at about 100 kmh. The truck could pull faster but my EGTs got too high. That was pulling 8,200 pound trailer.

I've got 3.73's in my 5.3 1500, and my only gripe is the lack of off-the-line power. That's more the nature of the LS engines than the gears, IMO - the damn thing doesn't wake from it's slumber until 2,800 RPM. My old 350's would be melting tires right off idle. Once moving, there hasn't been a hill I couldn't climb below 45mph no matter the load or how steep. The limiting factor is my foot, because I constantly fear either the engine or some other driveline component grenading. I don't have a lot of faith in modern vehicles ...

Between 3k & 5,500 there's plenty of juice on hand, even exceeding my tow capacity by a bit.

Even with the 6L90E and it's 4.02:1 first gear...... get 4.10's. GM didn't make the change in 2015 to only offering 4.10 in the HD gas pots for funzies lol. They need all the help they can get. My last one of these trucks I had to deal with full time was an 09 extended cab short box 2500HD with 3.73's. The truck was underwhelming for pulling power to put it lightly. The engine did basically nothing for acceleration with a load on below 4500 RPM or so. At the time the company I was with had a fleet of a couple hundred of these trucks and each and every one I drove performed exactly the same way so mine was no anomaly. 4.10's would have helped it but I found it more advantageous to drive something else altogether. In the mountains you could use a supercharger or a turbo a lot more than any small gain the gears would benefit you for pulling.

• 2 weeks later...

Judging acceleration is relative to the user. Some feel the need to take off, while towing, like they have nothing behind them and driving a Camaro. I am a more gradual acceleration type of person, towing or not, and so I don't feel in anyway underpowered with the 6.0L and 4.10. That gradual acceleration thing is probably from over 5 million miles behind me driving heavy commercial trucks. Just never seemed to feel the need to "put a wiggle in it" and see how fast I could get up to cruising speed. Even the 3.73 might do ok except that the general speeds running the rural roads in my area is such that I would never even see top gear most of the time. I only occasionally do now with 4.10.

I'm the opposite. I need to rocket-launch no matter what I'm driving. :lol:

That just means I've been living in Massachusetts way too long ...

LOL. Yeah I can understand that. Like I said, my gradual acceleration thing is a carry over from the my semi truck driving. Parts, tires, brakes, and fuel costs too much for that thing to drive it like a sports car. And I live rural, so no one is in a real big hurry around here anyway. I always look at it like, if they are in a hurry, they are free to go on around and get on down the road. Won't hurt my esteem in the least.

I never drove for myself, so I never cared about all that - I let the company worry about it. :)

Believe it or not, I live about as rural as you can get in MA. I can relax driving around town, but the minute you get out on a main road, you never know what your going to get. When you have a million things to do and need to get them done fast, you'll be stuck behind the one guy in a Prius that wants to do 10 UNDER the limit. Out here, the speed limits are so low it takes forever to get anywhere on a good day. One idiot can set you back a half hour or more, depending on how far you need to go. Nowhere to pass due to hills, sharp turns, or congestion. Our roads are basically paved cowpaths from the 18th century. Average speed around the state excluding major highways is probably 25-30 mph. 90% of the people here have never left MA, so they have no idea what it's like driving in the rest of the country. The northeast is it's own, strange breed, that's for sure. :lol:

I never drove for myself, so I never cared about all that - I let the company worry about it. :)

Believe it or not, I live about as rural as you can get in MA. I can relax driving around town, but the minute you get out on a main road, you never know what your going to get. When you have a million things to do and need to get them done fast, you'll be stuck behind the one guy in a Prius that wants to do 10 UNDER the limit. Out here, the speed limits are so low it takes forever to get anywhere on a good day. One idiot can set you back a half hour or more, depending on how far you need to go. Nowhere to pass due to hills, sharp turns, or congestion. Our roads are basically paved cowpaths from the 18th century. Average speed around the state excluding major highways is probably 25-30 mph. 90% of the people here have never left MA, so they have no idea what it's like driving in the rest of the country. The northeast is it's own, strange breed, that's for sure. :lol:

I am born and raised southern new england, simply moved to maine in the 80s. that ended up the fastest highway east of the mississippi, and needing rally driver skills to get to it.

The advice on the gears.. its a whole new animal, can't compare to tradition.

The 4.10 seems to be a corrector for your model, and not exactly for hot rodding.

I have 3.73 in a 5.0 L30, 5 speed..getting old.

I could pull a stuck tractor trailer from a mild ice spot.

Jump out of the truck in 4lo and 1st gear... I wonder if it could bulldoze through a building without stalling. :)

A trucking career out that way, a lot of maine would fit right in. Custom builds here for the loggers. I grew up with a trucking dad.

3.73 is the big highway rigs...more gears for the unpaved places.

Archived