New 2015 Silverado Smartphone Mirroring Guide

This is an illustrated installation on testing a MVI Inc. designed system, into my new 2015 Chevy Silverado Double Cab 1500 Z71 Pickup, with the split bench center seat armrest option. The GM MyLink system is Factory HMI IO5 without Factory A/V input or Rear-seat entertainment package.

SAFETY WARINGS: The navigation is operated by voice command using your favorite APP on a compatible Android or iPhone smartphone mirrored to the MyLink screen, similar to the GM standalone navigation system. The viewing of video or other non-voice command APP in-motion thru this interface is intended for off-road use only, or for non-driving passengers only. Safe Legal Driving Practices should always be followed at all times. Professional installation or knowledge is recommended.

LIBILITY DISCLAIMER: This illustration is for information and knowledge purposes only. Neither I the author, nor MVI Inc. will be Liable for any misuse of these products or this information for any consequential, incidental, and contingent damages arising from the misuse of this product and information by failing to adhere to the (SAFTY AND LEAGAL WARNINGS); DEVICE MIRRORING CAN NOT BE USED BY THE DRIVER OPERATOR OF A VEHICAL FOR WATCHING IN-MOTION VIDEO WHILE DRIVING THE VEHICLE AND IS PROHIBITED BY LAWS IN MOST OF THE US STATES OF AMERICA.

The MVI Inc. system main features are:

· Built-in In-Motion Video

· Factory Rear-view camera automatic switching

· Does not conflict with MyLink features

· Voice navigation via compatible Smartphone Mirroring

· Music Playback and Video Watching via Smartphone Mirroring

· Internet Surfing via Smartphone Mirroring

· Smartphone Charging with 2.1 amp USB Port

· Bose factory audio system not required

· Plug-n-Play “T” harness eliminate factory wiring splicing

· Other/Future input options available with interface

This is only a device mirroring interface to the GM MyLink systems. It is only limited by the type and limitations of the device connected to mirror. Not all devices will offer the same features or capabilities.

Information at the time of this writing is kept very limited for this type of upgrade. I am making my experience available for users to help make an informed and safe decision about adding smartphone mirroring to the 2015 GM trucks. I have no relationship with MVI Inc. other than the purchase of their system.

Hope you like and understand the read whatever your decision.

Questions on:

· Other Truck Systems Compatibility.

· Device Compatibility.

· And Or System Pricing:

Contact MVI Inc. or your selected system brand retailer.

Please keep questions relevant to the topic to avoid long uneventful thread navigations.

2015 Silverado Smartphone Mirror Guide.pdf

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much is it?

It is good to see we have this option if we never will get factory updates to the Apple and Android auto options.

IF there was a way to not only mirror the phone screen but also let the touchscreen communicate control back to the phone, it would be a tough product to beat...

How much is it?

It is good to see we have this option if we never will get factory updates to the Apple and Android auto options.

IF there was a way to not only mirror the phone screen but also let the touchscreen communicate control back to the phone, it would be a tough product to beat...

Cost? I can't fairly answer and won't as it all depends on what your rides hardware has already from GM, or your own additions to the MyLink system. Each component I added had it's own usages and may or maynot be needed. My truck was just a standard LT1 Z71 so I had nothing to work with. .I went this way to add everything with more options still available to enable later if I so choose, we always..lol..want more later. I mentioned this in the guide.

Update...I'm not counting on a GM update for the older MyLink version for a while, if it happens. If users backport the 2016 MyLink kernel, it is still VIN specific to protect all the hardware versions flashed, so HMI mods could have a negative result from the system upgrade if it looks at it too. It's all talk and speculation, we don't know yet what parts of the hardware or software of the new GM systems are going to be updated.

Touchscreen feed back would only happen with new APPs wrote using specific devices using the newer multi Bluetooth bandwidth. There is just way too much tx-rx to keep up with, let alone errors and delays. I just use the voice control in MyLink Bluetooth to my phones voice control not touching anything but the steering wheel for most things.

Cost? I can't fairly answer and won't as it all depends on what your rides hardware has already from GM, or your own additions to the MyLink system. Each component I added had it's own usages and may or maynot be needed. My truck was just a standard LT1 Z71 so I had nothing to work with. .I went this way to add everything with more options still available to enable later if I so choose, we always..lol..want more later. I mentioned this in the guide.

How does one figure cost then? I have a 14 All terrain with USB ports in the console already, No nav.

How does one figure cost then? I have a 14 All terrain with USB ports in the console already, No nav.

Your truck hardware is about like mine so contact MVI or the dealer you choose to get a quote.

My system cost was about the same as adding a new unlocked HMI6, plus adding the HDMI A/V inputs but with no limitations with using a smartphone mirror.

I added the USB (Power) ports for just that, so I'm not tying up the GM center arm USB (Data/Power) ports as I use one of them for a 250GB SSD and the other to leave open.

Sorry for the edit my phone editor window is way to small for me old eyes..lol.

Your truck hardware is about like mine so contact MVI or the dealer you choose to get a quote.

My system cost was about the same as adding a new unlocked HMI6, plus adding the HDMI A/V inputs but with no limitations with using a smartphone mirror.

I added the USB (Power) ports for just that, so I'm not tying up the GM center arm USB (Data/Power) ports as I use one of them for a 250GB SSD and the other to leave open.

Sorry for the edit my phone editor window is way to small for me old eyes..lol.

My bad, I misread. I thought you were selling these.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering - if someone like MVI could mod existing IO5 units to do video in motion, and add ability to mirror using a Chromecast or similar via the USB ports?

Then you could watch anything from your phone on the my link screen, have phone navigation, Netflix, YouTube etc.

Just wondering - if someone like MVI could mod existing IO5 units to do video in motion, and add ability to mirror using a Chromecast or similar via the USB ports?

Then you could watch anything from your phone on the my link screen, have phone navigation, Netflix, YouTube etc.

We can do VIM on the I05 modules. The video will be played from the USB/SD slots in the center console. It will need to be loaded on a dedicated flash drive or SD card and in the right format, but once loaded correctly you can play video all day long. There is another thread with a lot of info on this:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/160886-hmi-upgrade-videonav-entry-in-motion-texting-etc/

Here is a short video as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dxV8uA-e3Y

What you're looking to do can easily be done with the A/V module and smartphone interface...which gives you an HDMI input to use. Shadetree has done a awesome job on a detailed write up in this thread on that that works. I will also have a video to post in here within the week as well.

Feel free to call or text with any questions...we'll be happy to help.

Got it thanks for the reply. I was mainly interested in the mirroring but sounds like that can only be done through AV interface. Will check the posts you mentioned.

I'm a bit late to the game mate, but here is a brief about Chrome Casting requirements and MyLink:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/166421-smartphone-mirroring-from-gm-navigation/page-2?do=findComment&comment=1657070

Thinking you may have a GS6 as the main reason not to go with the full shielded bandwidth of an HDMI cable to the HD downgrader. If not a GS6 or running cabling, there is a wireless interface option available at MVI and others that eliminate at least the HDMI cable run. I have tested this setup and had some changing RFI noise from my phone radios, and mixed results playing mainly the large 720/1080p videos, most had some audio sink and gamma issues but low resolution worked just fine. After switching to HDMI all is great. I covered wireless briefly in the New Guide.

btw- I was told to repurposed the wireless setup by my boss (I mean wife) and added additional camera inputs to our ancient RV....lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Updated video showing a pretty cool place for the HDMI port to go on trucks with the bucket seating and full center console. Looks pretty factory!! Give a text/call for install details.

Also shows a great way to get your cable TV in the truck :thumbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8YD978LSgE

Updated video showing a pretty cool place for the HDMI port to go on trucks with the bucket seating and full center console. Looks pretty factory!! Give a text/call for install details.

Nice video mate, didn't realise how much easer the full center console trucks are to instal to.

btw- appears I purchased my system a few months to early. Your demo shows a new simpler interface, switching the AV with just a long depress of the home button is brilliant.

Very clean install!! Man I want to mirror my phone to my 8" so badly, just dont have the money right now.

Archived