2016 Denali Crew Cab Bose System

I just traded in my 2012 2500 crew cab (Chevy LTZ) for a 2016 3500 crew cab (Denali) and have noticed a huge difference in the sound of the stock stereo. They are both Bose premium systems but they sound worlds apart. I have seen other posts on 2016 Yukons and Tahoes that the new ones are hollow, but have not seen comments on the 2016 trucks. Not to knock the truck as everything else has exceeded my expectations except this, but for an MSRP of almost 70K, I think a vehicle should have a decent stereo.

I even tried to reach out to GM to see what size speakers where in the truck:

JC:7:02:52 PM

GMC - Assistance with my Infotainment system

Connection established.

Welcome to GMC

Connecting.....A live chat agent is now entering the chat.

A:7:03:12 PM

Hello and welcome to GMC Infotainment Customer Support! How may I help you today?

JC:7:04:14 PM

Hi A, I just purchased a 2016 3500HD crew cab Denali and have a few questions about the speaker system. Would you be able to help with this?

A:7:06:56 PM

Congratulations on your new purchase! We don't assist with speakers. To better assist you I am going to transfer you to our Customer Assistance Team who can better answer this question. would you like me to transfer now or do you have any questions regarding the infotainment system-IntelliLink?

JC:7:07:38 PM

No, please transfer me. Thank you.

A:7:08:25 PM

Ok. Please hold one moment while I transfer you. Thank you.

Agent Tyler enters the call

Agent Antonio left the call

T:7:10:50 PM

Thank you for contacting GMC Customer Assistance, My name is Tyler how can I assist you today?

JC:7:11:17 PM

Hi T, I just purchased a 2016 3500HD crew cab Denali and have a few questions about the speaker system. Would you be able to help with this?

T:7:12:09 PM

What kind of questions do you have for the speaker system in the car?

JC:7:12:46 PM

This is 2 parts:I have a Bose 7 speaker syste

JC:7:13:29 PM

The first is what size speakers are in the dash, front doors, and rear doors?

JC:7:15:48 PM

The second is it seems I have no sub, which I believe is supposed to be speaker 7. I just traded in a 2012 with a bose and the sub was in the console.....Is that the same for my 2016?

T:7:17:16 PM

Unfortunately we don't have technical information. I recommend contacting a dealership, they would have more information about the size of the speakers. Please allow me 2 to 3 minutes to see if the sub woofer is included.

JC:7:18:44 PM

No problem on the delay. I want to confirm whether or not it's included. Thank you.

T:7:20:56 PM

Thanks for waiting, I'm sorry but I don't have any information on the Bose Package. I recommend asking the dealership this question also. Sorry for any inconvience.

J:7:21:57 PM

Thank you T, I appreciate your time.

.....am I being unreasonable thinking this is not right?

I don't really understand how people complain about the stock bose system. I have a 2014 LTZ with the upgraded sound system which includes a small 8" sub in the center from my undertsanding. Compared to my 2005 Sierra and 2012 Denali this system is works superior to those vehicles Bose system. Granted I am not an extreme audiophile so to speak but definitely do appreciate a good sound system. In my opinion the system in our trucks is phenomenal compared to other vehicles I have been in. Yes it doesn't bump hard enough to shake your mirror throughout a whole song or cause others to turn heads. But its a truck, I don't expect that from it. Enough of my rant lol. Have you tried tweaking the settings? Also the system gets louder the faster you go too. 50mph seems to be the triggering point.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I own a 2015 Denali with Bose system and previous truck was 2012 LTZ with Bose. I feel that the 2015 Bose is hands down better than my 2012. I think it sounds great. I am thinking that maybe your subwoofer is not working properly. Why not go to a dealer and compare your sound to another Denali on the lot. Maybe you will find that your system is defective and needing to be repaired. Your dealer is the first place to start.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @therink

I'm thinking you're right. It must be an issue with my center console sub not working properly as I can't imagine why the bass would have degraded that much for basically the same bose setup I was used to.

• Like 1

At least for the 1500's these are the Bose speaker sizes.

Front Dash: 2.5" @ 3.2ohms (with bracket is about 2 3/4")

Front Door: 6x9" woofer @ 2ohms (bose)

Back Door: 5.25" spearker @ 3.5ohms (bose)

Subwoofer: 5.25" @ 1ohm (bose with bucket seats)

Mids and highs seem OK although dynamic range is unimpressive.

What I don't like most about the system is the lack of bass vibration that you can feel.

Currently most of the bass is produced by the 6x9s in the door, and they are isolated from the body to transfer vibrations to the interior.

The small console sub is overpowered by the door speakers.

Not sure why they engineered it this way other than for space saving, but the first audio mod I will do will be to add a sub under the rear seat.

• 2 years later...
On 12/4/2015 at 2:17 PM, crafferty said:

I don't really understand how people complain about the stock bose system. I have a 2014 LTZ with the upgraded sound system which includes a small 8" sub in the center from my undertsanding. Compared to my 2005 Sierra and 2012 Denali this system is works superior to those vehicles Bose system. Granted I am not an extreme audiophile so to speak but definitely do appreciate a good sound system. In my opinion the system in our trucks is phenomenal compared to other vehicles I have been in. Yes it doesn't bump hard enough to shake your mirror throughout a whole song or cause others to turn heads. But its a truck, I don't expect that from it. Enough of my rant lol. Have you tried tweaking the settings? Also the system gets louder the faster you go too. 50mph seems to be the triggering point.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I saw another member posted about his RAM Alpine Premium System; I too had that system - Wow and for factory system. My 2017 Denali has a far superior ride and comfort level, which I equate to a luxury vehicle. I found out on the test drive that I would be disappointed with the Bose. For what it's worth. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had two previous Bose systems in a 2003 Silverado with console sub and a 2005 Tahoe with console sub. I liked both systems very much. They seemed to fit the cabin and were tuned well. I have bought a 2017 Silverado without console so I do not have the sub and the front doors are the bass for sure. I love the sound of it but I am having issues with rattles in the Driver's door. Dealer has "looked" at it once with no correction but I will be addressing it again with them soon.

I am a Bass player and do a ton with music recording and sound. I use it to post listen to my mixes from recording... I am a Bose guy with Bose in the house as well. I am sure there are systems out there that others like more but if you really like and listen to music the Bose has a certain something. Nope, it wont shake you out of the truck but at a mid volume, IMHO not much really "sounds" better.... It's a very smooth sound and pleasing to the ears.....I'll get the rattle fixed!!!