3500 vs 2500?

Currently have a 2015 Sierra Denali HD (2500) with the 6.0 gas.

Complete pig on fuel, especially when towing. (Actually gets WORSE fuel mileage than my previous 1500 Denali!)

There are some fantastic incentives right now, plus I just started working at a company that gets preffered pricing. Will save me about 20k on a truck.

So I have 3 options: (All 2016 Denalis)

-3500 DRW - We plan on upgrading our TT camper to a toy hauler in 5-7 years, and the ones we are looking at are about 16,000lbs dry, with 4000lbs cargo, so we would need this to be legal. But that purchase is so far out, and its a "probable maybe", not a for sure purchase. Don't really want to deal with a DRW as a daily driver for a maybe.

-3500 SRW - Far as I can tell it has a towing cap that is something like 17,800lbs (only difference between the 2500 is an extra leaf?). But has same frame and power train as the 2500? What is the point to this truck?

-2500 SRW - Getting a price check on this one now, seems to be the most reasonable choice, towing cap is something like 17,200lbs.

I really wish I could find an SRW rated for 20-22,000lbs, but doesn't seem to exist, no matter who you go with, they all top out around 17-18,000.

So my question to the pros, is there any point to getting the 3500? or if you are going to stay SRW is it better to go with the 2500? What am I missing between these trucks? A whole nother model for a leaf spring?!

Edited by Revnic

Are you looking gas or diesel? If you are talking gas 2500hd vs 3500hd...the 3500hd gets you the 11.5" rear axle vs. the 10.5" axle with gas. Diesel they all use the 11.5". You get higher payloads, GVWR. As for the leafs, there are two extra top helper springs, plus frame mounted stops for them.

On diesel Denali HD...5th wheel/gooseneck on a crew cab standard box 4x4 2500hd, towing capacity is 13900lbs. On a 3500hd 4x4 crew standard SRW, 17100lbs. So, there is 3200lbs difference on a Denali 2500hd vs. 3500hd for 5th wheel/gooseneck tow ratings. That's quite a bit more truck for not being a DRW.

Towing info is straight from GM http://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2016&addOptions=true&regionID=1&divisionID=2&vehicleID=18908&section=trailer_specs&pagenum=2&butID=8

Edited by 15HDriver

Yeah, forget about tow ratings, especially when considering the heavy pin weight of a 5th wheel. The difference between 2500 and 3500 is payload capacity. For gas as mentioned they get the bigger rear end as well.

• Like 1

My SRW 3500 Denali has door sticker payload of 3700. Pin weight on my fifth wheel is 2400. With my hitch, family, cargo and bed tool box, iI am almost at my payload when towing. Would never consider towing or carrying this weight with a 2500. Also, if you plan on Towing a 16k toy hauler skip the SRW and get the dually now.

Edited by therink
  • Like 1

DRW's have significantly higher tow ratings than SRW, especially for 5th wheel/gooseneck.

For 2wd Dmax Denali - 5th/gooseneck trailer ratings

2500 available as standard box only - 15,800

3500 srw standard box - 17,500

3500 srw long box - 17,300

3500 drw long box - 22,900

If the heavy trailer is 5-7 years out, I'd wait til then to get a drw.

Complete pig on fuel, especially when towing. (Actually gets WORSE fuel mileage than my previous 1500 Denali!)

No! That can't be true! For you to get lower mpg from a pickup that weighs more than your 1500 by about 1000 lb, say it aint so!

• Like 3

all i know is i got a 2015 3500 SRW and the ride is absolutely horrendous. i dont know if a 2500 would be different, they are almost identical i cant imagine it being much better.

Yeah, forget about tow ratings, especially when considering the heavy pin weight of a 5th wheel. The difference between 2500 and 3500 is payload capacity. For gas as mentioned they get the bigger rear end as well.

This. Payload is the difference.

If the 2500 will comfortably handle the trailer you have now and you will need to upgrade to a dull rear wheel when you get a new trailer anyway, then I'd say go for the 2500 and get the decked out 3500 drw down the road as needed. Especially if there is a much of a cost difference between 2500 and 3500.

Something to consider is registration cost between 2500 and 3500. In my state, yearly registration on the 3500 is significantly less due to the higher GVRW (I've been told it has something to do with GVRW being higher than 10k lbs). Not exactly sure, but it gets classified differently by the DMV when determining yearly registration costs. I had a 2015 Ram 2500 and registration was $550 for the year. About 4 months later, I traded it in on a 2016 Silverado 3500 (higher GVRW) and am on the hook for $150 to register it for the year.

• Like 1

all i know is i got a 2015 3500 SRW and the ride is absolutely horrendous. i dont know if a 2500 would be different, they are almost identical i cant imagine it being much better.

Interesting. I haven't noticed this being an issue compared to other 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. My sample size is small (2015 Ram 2500 with coil springs, 2012 Ford f350, 2001 Silverado 2500) but the 2016 3500 has as good ride quality as any of those. I came directly from the Ram 2500 with coil springs and cannot notice a difference in ride between the trucks.

Mind you, I'm in Massachusetts and the roads are absolutely ridiculous. Like, embarrassingly bad. Even main roads. It's pathetic. But when it's nice pavement it sure is a real nice ride. The only thing I dislike about the truck

Sounds like that kind of weight , a cdl would be required too. I would wait and buy the 3500 when you get the newer TT done the road.

I like my 2500 HD, but knew about how much weight I wanted to pull, how many times I would be pulling a TT etc..

Thank you

Kenny

• 1 year later...

What exactly gives the 3500 SRW a higher payload capacity than the 2500 SRW? is it just a thicker axle and the helper springs? would adding the helper springs improve the 2500 payload capacity to make it worth the install, or will the smaller diameter axle be the achilles heal?

The thing is, the mileage on the 6.0 isn't great, but if you actually run the numbers compared to the depreciation hit you are going to take ... you can buy an awful lot of gas. Just saying. If you otherwise like your current truck, keep it until you get the big trailer.

Man, keep your truck and you'll be able to buy that Toy Hauler even sooner.

My 2500 frame is already drilled and tapped over the rear wheel. I think those are for the helper springs. I may look into installing those on mine

Edited by Buckshot556

What exactly gives the 3500 SRW a higher payload capacity than the 2500 SRW? is it just a thicker axle and the helper springs? would adding the helper springs improve the 2500 payload capacity to make it worth the install, or will the smaller diameter axle be the achilles heal?

The 11.5" axle mainly. One thing to note is if you want an axle geared more towards hauling weight, Banjo style axles are ideal. Our Salsberry type axles are oriented towards towing.

Also I thought the 3500 had additional frame cross members...maybe two? Maybe I'm thinking of ford