Headlight Illumination Issues

Here is my letter to GM (going out in the morning mail):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GMC Trucks

ATTN: Complaints

PO Box 33170

Detroit, MI 28232-5170

Dear GMC,

I own a 2014 Sierra 1500 pickup, VIN 1GTN1TEH5EZXXXXXX. This truck has terrible headlights. The halogen projector headlights are dim, weak, and unsafe. They are particularly bad on rainy nights.

I wrote to GMC about this in January, but did not get a satisfactory response. The phone call I got in return was polite but basically said there was nothing GM could do other than apply TSB #PIT5374, which I had already had done. I hope GMC cares more about me than this. I have purchased a number of GM trucks and cars over the years – and will be in the market again someday.

The design of the 2014/2015 Sierra projector headlight is deficient. The TSB and new Vosla bulbs only help a little bit. The 2016 Sierra has much better HID headlights, which is proof that GMC is completely aware of the deficient design of the headlights on my Sierra.

I would like to request GMC to repair my headlights by installing the wiring harness and headlight units from a 2016 Sierra. That is the only solution that will work.

Please let me know how to go about having this done by my local GMC dealer, XXXXX GMC in XXXXXX.

Sincerely,

//signed//

• Like 2

Here is my letter to GM (going out in the morning mail):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GMC Trucks

ATTN: Complaints

PO Box 33170

Detroit, MI 28232-5170

Dear GMC,

I own a 2014 Sierra 1500 pickup, VIN 1GTN1TEH5EZXXXXXX. This truck has terrible headlights. The halogen projector headlights are dim, weak, and unsafe. They are particularly bad on rainy nights.

I wrote to GMC about this in January, but did not get a satisfactory response. The phone call I got in return was polite but basically said there was nothing GM could do other than apply TSB #PIT5374, which I had already had done. I hope GMC cares more about me than this. I have purchased a number of GM trucks and cars over the years – and will be in the market again someday.

The design of the 2014/2015 Sierra projector headlight is deficient. The TSB and new Vosla bulbs only help a little bit. The 2016 Sierra has much better HID headlights, which is proof that GMC is completely aware of the deficient design of the headlights on my Sierra.

I would like to request GMC to repair my headlights by installing the wiring harness and headlight units from a 2016 Sierra. That is the only solution that will work.

Please let me know how to go about having this done by my local GMC dealer, XXXXX GMC in XXXXXX.

Sincerely,

//signed//

Looks good!...I will be quoting your letter to GM canada when I am talking to them tomorrow!

I inquired to one of the GM customer service people who ae on this forum and asked about a retrofit of the 2016 lights on my '15 and his response was that "GMC would not offer assistance and that changing the headlamps to the '16 model lights would be modifying the vehicle and require different wiring."

Well, Gen5DIY has a kit including the wiring to swap out the lights to the '16 headlamps and a wiring kit to do the job on a 2014-15 GMC, maybe at a lesser cost than what GM can do? If GM would agree to cover the cost for us to go through that vendor as well as pick up the tab for the GM dealer to do the install would be appreciated and they can keep the useless headlamps currently in our trucks.

Back to the info provided telling of a gentleman in Michigan that was able to have GM swap his light to the 2016 headlamps, this IS the way for GM to make good on what is known to be a safety issue on these trucks.

That guy sent a e-mail message directly to Mary Barra to make things happen and I would suggest that is where to go with any letters!

Her e-mail from what I found on the internet is [email protected]

Here's the post on the CarComplaints site that the gentleman wrote.

This not a complaint. This is the solution to my God awful headlights.

1. I contacted GM customer service for help. 2. Dealer was contacted by CS and was told to change the headlight bulbs which resulted in minimal improvement. 3 Dealer was contacted by CS and was asked to raise the headlight aim which resulted in no improvement. 4. I told CS that I wanted the the 2016 headlights installed in my truck. This resulted in many emails and phone calls without any positive action. 5. I searched out the email address for Mary Barra. I a short email I asked her to ask her people what was being done to correct the God Awful 2014/2015 headlight problem. I told her that I had exhausted all of the resources available to me without success. 6. The next morning I received a call fro CS asking me if I had a problem. I thanked them for asking. Lol It was at that point they said that they would contact my dealer to ask them to proceed in installing the 2016 headlights in my truck.& . The headlights are in and the truck is everything that it was suppose to be. I am happy. The purpose of this posting is to hopefully help all of the other owners of the 2014/2015 Sierra's. Wishing you the best of luck, Tom

- Thomas D., cheboygan, MI, USA

Would be interesting if Thomas D. is a member on this forum.

Now to send your message to Ms. Barra and hope to get favorable results!

Again, the e-mail to send is [email protected]

My letter is sent, now to see if a response is received.

Edited by Shredzy
  • Like 2

Good luck to you Sierra guys with getting new headlights - I hope it works out for you!

Unfortunately for us Silverado guys the whole front clip is different and the 2016 headlights won't fit a 2014-2015 so we are out of luck ...

Good luck to you Sierra guys with getting new headlights - I hope it works out for you!

Unfortunately for us Silverado guys the whole front clip is different and the 2016 headlights won't fit a 2014-2015 so we are out of luck ...

I believe they are the same, someone had them installed, all you need was a harness that converts the connector and signal

Heard a GM ad on the radio and it said come in and check out the the new and improved headlights on our trucks.Makes one wonder? If GM wants my family's money again they need to step up and take care of us now!

• Like 1

Heard a GM ad on the radio and it said come in and check out the the new and improved headlights on our trucks.Makes one wonder? If GM wants my family's money again they need to step up and take care of us now!

Good luck with that. Right or wrong they're not going to update all the older trucks.

Good luck with that. Right or wrong they're not going to update all the older trucks.

But if everyone like me does not repeat buy then that's a lot of $$$.It wasn't a older truck when they were told about the problem. Edited by WLC

For every one of you that bitch about it there is 10 new customers buying new trucks that couldn't care less... they will never care and because of the market never have too.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I believe they are the same, someone had them installed, all you need was a harness that converts the connector and signal

Not on the Silverados -- the front bumper, filler panel, grille, and hood are all shaped differently around the headlights. The 2016 style won't fit without changing out those parts too (along with the harnesses) :nonod:

I inquired to one of the GM customer service people who ae on this forum and asked about a retrofit of the 2016 lights on my '15 and his response was that "GMC would not offer assistance and that changing the headlamps to the '16 model lights would be modifying the vehicle and require different wiring."

Well, Gen5DIY has a kit including the wiring to swap out the lights to the '16 headlamps and a wiring kit to do the job on a 2014-15 GMC, maybe at a lesser cost than what GM can do? If GM would agree to cover the cost for us to go through that vendor as well as pick up the tab for the GM dealer to do the install would be appreciated and they can keep the useless headlamps currently in our trucks.

Back to the info provided telling of a gentleman in Michigan that was able to have GM swap his light to the 2016 headlamps, this IS the way for GM to make good on what is known to be a safety issue on these trucks.

That guy sent a e-mail message directly to Mary Barra to make things happen and I would suggest that is where to go with any letters!

Her e-mail from what I found on the internet is [email protected]

Here's the post on the CarComplaints site that the gentleman wrote.

This not a complaint. This is the solution to my God awful headlights.

1. I contacted GM customer service for help. 2. Dealer was contacted by CS and was told to change the headlight bulbs which resulted in minimal improvement. 3 Dealer was contacted by CS and was asked to raise the headlight aim which resulted in no improvement. 4. I told CS that I wanted the the 2016 headlights installed in my truck. This resulted in many emails and phone calls without any positive action. 5. I searched out the email address for Mary Barra. I a short email I asked her to ask her people what was being done to correct the God Awful 2014/2015 headlight problem. I told her that I had exhausted all of the resources available to me without success. 6. The next morning I received a call fro CS asking me if I had a problem. I thanked them for asking. Lol It was at that point they said that they would contact my dealer to ask them to proceed in installing the 2016 headlights in my truck.& . The headlights are in and the truck is everything that it was suppose to be. I am happy. The purpose of this posting is to hopefully help all of the other owners of the 2014/2015 Sierra's. Wishing you the best of luck, Tom

- Thomas D., cheboygan, MI, USA

Would be interesting if Thomas D. is a member on this forum.

Now to send your message to Ms. Barra and hope to get favorable results!

Again, the e-mail to send is [email protected]

My letter is sent, now to see if a response is received.

Email sent yesterday, got a call todayfrom some sort of Executive Customer Service, with the explanation that the 2016 Headlamps cannot be retrofitted, and to bring the truck back to the dealer to check that the update was done correctly.....I told her I had done so as requested twice, and all is as it should be. I told her that some have retrofitted the 2016 Headlamps with success, and this is what I, and others seek as a resolution. I then invited her to this website to read 112 pages, and even sent her an email with the links.

• Like 2

Probably a snowballs chance in hell, but they didn't design the 2016 lights to be able to fit the 2014/2015 front clips by accident. There is obviously a little factor of a possible class action going on in their world.

The lights are pitiful and dangerous where I live, 2-1/2 miles off the pavement grid. Especially with the Kamikaze deer!

My truck is within 120 miles of the B2B warranty expiring. Just a matter of time before one of those deer blind sides me. The POS Vosla Bulbs burn out in less than a year. The next time will be on my dime again.

Got another call today.....they are working with my dealer on a solution....I asked "What solution are they considering", and they said "The dealer is looking into a brighter bulb"...oh, and the call is from "Executive Office"....they will check back after the weekend.