Headlight Illumination Issues

rufous03 - apologies for failing to note that NHTSA is for U.S.-only GMC owners. I know there are a lot of GMC owners in Canada. You might be able to find a place to register a complaint on the Motor Vehicle Safety - Transport Canada web page https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/menu.htm

I'm sure GMC is tired of hearing about the 2014/2015 Sierra headlights, and they would like to put it all in their rear view mirror. These trucks will be on the road for another 10+ years, and GMC's stone-walling doesn't solve the problem. Keeping after them by filing a complaint with organizations like NHTSA or Transport Canada might help - or it might not. The law suit might help - or it might not. But its worth the effort, on the principle of the thing.

In the mean time, everyone should be able to get the TSB done, and think about which bulbs you want to use if the Vosla's need to be replaced.

Edited by SierraRover
  • Like 1

One of my Vosla bulbs burned out two nights ago. Last week I had 3 other bulbs burn out. RR turn/brake/tail, and both of the license plate lights.

All replaced now but, for how long? Got 30,800 miles and 30 months on her now, so all the cheap crap is burning out.

Wonder how much those Vosla bulbs cost? Anybody know?

The Vosla on-line shop sells the 28432 bulb for 29.99 Euros -- around $33 US. http://www.vosla-shop.com/HIR2-30/en

A quick search with Google didn't reveal any other sources. The GMC dealer should also be able to order them, but I don't even want to guess the price (I remember the dealer charged off a pretty hefty fee for it against GMC when performing the TSB).

Edited by SierraRover
  • Like 1

rufous03 - apologies for failing to note that NHTSA is for U.S.-only GMC owners. I know there are a lot of GMC owners in Canada. You might be able to find a place to register a complaint on the Motor Vehicle Safety - Transport Canada web page https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/menu.htm

I'm sure GMC is tired of hearing about the 2014/2015 Sierra headlights, and they would like to put it all in their rear view mirror. These trucks will be on the road for another 10+ years, and GMC's stone-walling doesn't solve the problem. Keeping after them by filing a complaint with organizations like NHTSA or Transport Canada might help - or it might not. The law suit might help - or it might not. But its worth the effort, on the principle of the thing.

In the mean time, everyone should be able to get the TSB done, and think about which bulbs you want to use if the Vosla's need to be replaced.

Rest assured I have complained both to GM and Transport Canada, no response from the government to date! Vosla bulbs were a waste of time. I have installed a 36"LED light bar behind the grill that works just fine, but it was not inexpensive. I want GM to step up to the plate and do the right thing for their customers!

UPDATE: Dear Sir,

We wish to advise that Transport Canada is currently evaluating the situation.

Sincerely,

Defects and Recalls | Défauts et Rappels

Transport Canada | Transports Canada

Motor Vehicle Safety | Sécurité des véhicules automobiles

80 rue Noël street, Gatineau, Québec, J8Z 0A1

Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada

1-800-333-0510

Edited by rufous03
  • Like 1

I didn't read thru the entire post so if this has been mentioned I apologize. There is a TSB on the headlight bulbs on the 14 GMC's, I don't know about the Chevy's. They replace the bulbs with a different manufacturer and reprogram the BCM to increase the voltage to them. I just had mine done and it made a huge difference.

Edited by LC1150

TSB #PIT5374 offers some relief -- I rate it as about a 20% improvement over the stock bulbs. The new bulbs, Vosla 28432, do not have a long life expectancy, but everyone with a 2014/15 Sierra before the build date specified in the TSB would probably benefit from having it done at the local GMC dealer. Thanks.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2011-up-non-powertrain/598297-2015-poor-headlights-tsb.html

• Like 1

I didn't read thru the entire post so if this has been mentioned I apologize. There is a TSB on the headlight bulbs on the 14 GMC's, I don't know about the Chevy's. They replace the bulbs with a different manufacturer and reprogram the BCM to increase the voltage to them. I just had mine done and it made a huge difference.

I had it done as well. I was the first one in my state I think to request it at the time. They did help compared to what it was before. Even though those ****ers broke my air box while doing it!!!! I only found out after I replaced the light bulbs with led ones now.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My drivers side Vosla Headlight burned out yesterday. The passenger side burned out a couple weeks ago. Already replaced under warranty but, they are only going to last a year +/-. That will get expensive over time. Will be looking into the modified 9011's, when it's on my dime. Wonder if they are lasting any longer?

My drivers side Vosla Headlight burned out yesterday. The passenger side burned out a couple weeks ago. Already replaced under warranty but, they are only going to last a year +/-. That will get expensive over time. Will be looking into the modified 9011's, when it's on my dime. Wonder if they are lasting any longer?

From what I understand 9011s are basically a high beam version of the 9012, they have higher lumen output and I think they are of course only meant for intermittent use. They would last maybe half as long?

Hmmmm.... Mine are right at a year old. So far, so good with a lot of night driving. Unusually lucky?

Hmmmm.... Mine are right at a year old. So far, so good with a lot of night driving. Unusually lucky?

I live 2-1/2 miles off the pavement grid, so that could also be a factor. It's not always smooth sailing!

My passenger side Volsa went out yesterday. Mine are less than a year old. I want to say 8 months but if have to look it up to confirm.

Is there a one year warranty on these? Now I'm wondering how long I'm going to want to put up with replacing these things every year or less.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

My passenger side Volsa went out yesterday. Mine are less than a year old. I want to say 8 months but if have to look it up to confirm.

Is there a one year warranty on these? Now I'm wondering how long I'm going to want to put up with replacing these things every year or less.

If you are still under 3yr/36,000mi it will be replaced under warranty. If not, then it's on your dime. Mine both went out at slightly under a year as well. It's going to suck. I'm not even sure mine were replaced with the Vosla bulbs yet, even though imade it very clear that I had upgraded to them. Might pull the cap on the drivers side and take a peek this weekend. Maybe it's just me but, they just don't seem as bright as they were before. Edited by Ventilator

If you are still under 3yr/36,000mi it will be replaced under warranty. If not, then it's on your dime. Mine both went out at slightly under a year as well. It's going to suck. I'm not even sure mine were replaced with the Vosla bulbs yet, even though imade it very clear that I had upgraded to them. Might pull the cap on the drivers side and take a peek this weekend. Maybe it's just me but, they just don't seem as bright as they were before.

It's not you. These bulbs are configured to have a high lumen output and with the PIT were running 14 volts through them. They are gonna get dimmer over time and eventually fail - apparently in less than a year. We need a permanent solution!