Headlight Illumination Issues

Well, I just read through the better part of all 104 pages. I just purchased a 2015 Sierra DC. Last night was dark and rainy...to say the headlights sucked would be an understatement. My trucks build date was 8/19/15, so that means there is no need to flash the computer. It does have the Phillips bulbs in there, it sounds like the Vosla will help at first but will dim over time and they will not last anywhere near as long as the Phillips. It sounds like upgrading the fog lights and then doing the fog/high beam mod is the best solution right now!!! Am I missing something?????

• Like 1

Well, I just read through the better part of all 104 pages. I just purchased a 2015 Sierra DC. Last night was dark and rainy...to say the headlights sucked would be an understatement. My trucks build date was 8/19/15, so that means there is no need to flash the computer. It does have the Phillips bulbs in there, it sounds like the Vosla will help at first but will dim over time and they will not last anywhere near as long as the Phillips. It sounds like upgrading the fog lights and then doing the fog/high beam mod is the best solution right now!!! Am I missing something?????

First I would log a complaint with GM and then with Government department in your country that is responsible for vehicle safety. Your choice of upgrades, basically almost anything helps I installed a 36"LED Light Bar behind the grill (not inexpensive) but does a great job, waiting for LED fog lights, First ones some twit stole off my doorstep after the post office delivered and left on my doorstep. Still waiting for Putco to replace the order. And I tried LED bulbs for the headlights, looked nice, but not much better for light. Good luck!

• Like 1

Did the fog light mod and replaced fogs with headlight bulbs and added aux led lights.$$$$ but I can see!

....it sounds like the Vosla will help at first but will dim over time and they will not last anywhere near as long as the Phillips........

My Vosla bulbs were installed at the beginning of when this all began. I can't even remember, about January / February 2015? I am in a very rural area (no street lights) living on dirt roads. The bulbs have not failed, yellowed, or dimmed.

For me, success for the illumination is proper aiming. We all know the projectors are lousy and maybe that is why the aiming is crucial, as maybe compared to other projector assemblies. Even BEFORE I had my computer flashed, re-aiming made a major difference. I used real-road aiming, drove around, touched it up, tweaked it, and got it right. With the many low-traffic farm market roads, I had no issues with road traffic.

But, again, I have had no problems with the Vosla bulbs dimming, yellowing, or failing. Lots of hours on them since I work at night.

• Like 1

I think that is pretty much right. I've had the Vosla bulbs since last July and they are holding up so far (I don't put a lot of miles on my truck). I have two Philips 9011 65 watt bulbs (with the base trimmed to fit the 9012 socket in the GMC) as spares if the Vosla's give up the ghost early. I agree aiming is important, too. I'd upgrade the fog lights but I think I would just get flashed by on-coming drivers (I live in the middle of a major urban area).

I'd love to try the RIGID set up that uses their D-Series driving lights with a custom kit for fitting the GMC fog light opening: http://www.rigidindustries.com/mounting-options/46511

RIGID%20light_zpsgy2pg4dc.jpg

Edited by SierraRover

My dealer did the upgrade bulb, and adjusted the beam. He states I'm the only one that is complaining after to bulb and adjustment, I told him that everybody I ask says that it's still not good enough, and I'll have those people give him a call.....his eyes just about popped out of his head "No, don't tell anybody to call, last thing I need is 80 people calling me !".....I then directed him to this, and all 104 pages

Edited by Beer Belly
  • Like 3

My Vosla bulbs were installed at the beginning of when this all began. I can't even remember, about January / February 2015? I am in a very rural area (no street lights) living on dirt roads. The bulbs have not failed, yellowed, or dimmed.

For me, success for the illumination is proper aiming. We all know the projectors are lousy and maybe that is why the aiming is crucial, as maybe compared to other projector assemblies. Even BEFORE I had my computer flashed, re-aiming made a major difference. I used real-road aiming, drove around, touched it up, tweaked it, and got it right. With the many low-traffic farm market roads, I had no issues with road traffic.

But, again, I have had no problems with the Vosla bulbs dimming, yellowing, or failing. Lots of hours on them since I work at night.

Aiming is a little different in Ohio where's there hills and curves and deer. Lights adjust up and down only. I need to see left right and straight ahead.

I had the Vosla bulbs installed per the tsb, didn't see any improvement, actually thought the Phillips were better than the Voslas (still poor lighting either way) and had them put back in. Vosla life expectancy is short per their specs.

Edited by Shredzy

Aiming is a little different in Ohio where's there hills and curves and deer. Lights adjust up and down only. I need to see left right and straight ahead.

We have rolling hills in East Texas and the spot light effect of projector lamps is admittedly annoying. I aim on a flat road, though. I mean, that really is the only way you can have a reference. And I totally agree about the need for side illumination.

Had my 2014 headlight bulbs replaced at dealer for "New and Improved"...still junk...GM needs to come up with a solution and fix before someone is killed in an accident!!!

Keep filling complaints, but truth be told we are a very small minority here on GM trucks, spread the word when and where u can, but if no one's been killed in a accident bye now, GM got away with one, and were the suckers,

I agree with the consensus that there is not much we can expect much from GMC. Sadly agree.

But... we can encourage others to file a complaint, if this problem bothers them, just for the principle of the thing. And we can tell other 2014-15 GMC owners about the things that can be done: the TSB with Vosla bulbs; the substitute 65W 9011 bulbs; the upgrade the fog lights, etc. (I still like those RIGID D-series LED driving lights...).

Bulb number corrected.

Edited by SierraRover
  • Like 1

I agree with the consensus that there is not much we can expect much from GMC. Sadly agree.

But... we can encourage others to file a complaint, if this problem bothers them, just for the principle of the thing. And we can tell other 2014-15 GMC owners about the things that can be done: the TSB with Vosla bulbs; the substitute 65W 2011 bulbs; the upgrade the fog lights, etc. (I still like those RIGID D-series LED driving lights...).

The principle is if someone does get hurt(hope it doesn't come to that) they will have many different sources of ammo to fight with. I think you ment 9011's.
  • Like 1

New member here. I have a new 2014 GMC and have to say after driving my truck the other night do a long dark road the light do suck. I do have the fog lights on mine and they do help on low beam but when I go to high beam its like using a flash light to me. I do have flash lights that are brighter LOL. I have to take mine in for the hitch recall this Wednesday and will say something about this issue as well. Glad I found this form. It really has a lot of good info.

I had mine in for the hitch recall today. While there I ask about the high beam issue and they run a check and found that mine had to be replaced. I have not drove it at night yet and will let you know as soon as I can. Thanks again for all the info on this site.