Headlight Illumination Issues

I had mine in for the hitch recall today. While there I ask about the high beam issue and they run a check and found that mine had to be replaced. I have not drove it at night yet and will let you know as soon as I can. Thanks again for all the info on this site.

Be sure to take your truck out on a very dark farm-to-market road and adjust the aim. Do not rely upon the factory-speced adjustment. When you get the aim just right, it makes all the difference, even with the original factory bulbs. Do not expect much improvement for side illumination. That remains dangerously awful.

• Like 1

I sent a message to GM Customer Care here on the forum in regards to GM offering any assistance with the poor lighting and mentioned that there is a way to upgrade the 2014-15 trucks to the 2016 headlamps.

Here is the reply, which was really of no surprise because they evidently "don't" care of anyone's safety:

Good Morning,

In regards to your possible solution, GMC would not offer assistance and we cannot advise using the 2016 model lights because that would be modifying your vehicle. As previously mentioned, the 2016 model has different wiring configurations than previous models. Just to be sure, I had our internal resources check to see if there were any new resolutions for the concern and unfortunately there is not. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

GM Customer Care

If you haven't seen this thread, take a look, a 2014 Sierra fitted with 2016 factory headlights-that work!

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/183823-first-2014-sierra-with-2016-leds/page-1

This is the "update" GMC should be doing rather than swapping out bulbs.

I totally agree this is what GMC should offer those of us with 2014/2015 Sierras. Yes, some modification to the 2014/2015 wiring harness is needed, but otherwise they are "standard" (off the shelf) headlights from a later model.

BTW, I contacted 5thgenDIY about their product, and it looks pretty good. But at close to $1400, it is outside of my budget. (The price does indicate how much some folks are willing to pay to solve this problem). It would cost GMC a lot less to do it for us with existing GMC parts, and they could even hire 5thgenDIY to do the wiring kits.

Edited by SierraRover

One of my Vosla bulbs burned out two nights ago. Last week I had 3 other bulbs burn out. RR turn/brake/tail, and both of the license plate lights.

All replaced now but, for how long? Got 30,800 miles and 30 months on her now, so all the cheap crap is burning out.

Wonder how much those Vosla bulbs cost? Anybody know?

One of my Vosla bulbs burned out two nights ago.

Wonder how much those Vosla bulbs cost? Anybody know?

I would just go get the Phillips bulbs-what came in the trucks.

As you found out, the Vosla has a short lifespan.

I totally agree this is what GMC should offer those of us with 2014/2015 Sierras. Yes, some modification to the 2014/2015 wiring harness is needed, but otherwise they are "standard" (off the shelf) headlights from a later model.

BTW, I contacted 5thgenDIY about their product, and it looks pretty good. But at close to $1400, it is outside of my budget. (The price does indicate how much some folks are willing to pay to solve this problem). It would cost GMC a lot less to do it for us with existing GMC parts, and they could even hire 5thgenDIY to do the wiring kits.

5thGen did the dirty work for GM to figure out how to provide the proper lighting that these trucks SHOULD have had from day 1. Plug-n-play with no "modifications" that GM could have easily done I'm sure.

As SierraRover mentions, GM could get it done for less $$.

They could source the harness from 5thGen and make it happen if they wanted to.

Edited by Shredzy
  • Like 1

Have not seen this yet but wow. I know I read something about a year ago that there was a tsb on the headlights and mentioned it to my dealer and they reprogramed truck and installed new headlights and it was 100% better.

I had mine in for the hitch recall today. While there I ask about the high beam issue and they run a check and found that mine had to be replaced. I have not drove it at night yet and will let you know as soon as I can. Thanks again for all the info on this site.

It's great that you had a good experience. The consensus is that the Vosla bulbs are an improvement, but how much of an improvement is open to debate. My opinion is that it is about a 20% improvement over the old stock bulbs. But the Vosla bulbs are not rated for a long life-span (about 250 hours or so).

My plan is to go to the 65 watt Philips 9011 HIR bulbs (which I bought earlier, in an effort to improve the headlights, before the TSB). Those bulbs will fit the socket if the flange is trimmed so that it is like the stock 9012 bulbs; the 65 watt bulbs provide 10 more watts of illumination than the old 55 watt stock bulbs. In fact, I carry one of the 65 watt 9011's in my truck in case the left front Vosla bulb burns out (if it is the right front bulb, I will have to do it in the driveway at home, since it is a tougher job getting to the back of that headlamp by removing the airbox etc.). Bottom line here is that I don't expect to get more Vosla bulbs from the GM dealer for free, and I don't want to buy them. The Philips 65 Watt 9011 HIR bulbs can be purchased at Home Depot (by mail) and do at least as good a job as the Voslas.

That sums it up. If anyone reading this has a complaint about the headlights on the 2014-2015 GMC Sierra, recommend you go to the NTSB web page and file a safety complaint!

Edited by SierraRover

I would just go get the Phillips bulbs-what came in the trucks.

As you found out, the Vosla has a short lifespan.

You obviously don't drive the same roads I do. I live 2-1/2 miles from the nearest pavement, and 6 miles from the nearest street light. When I visit my son out west, parts of I-80 in Wyoming has an 80 MPH speed limit, which you cannot safely drive that speed. You actually outrun the safe seeing distance/reaction time of the light beam, especially when navigating curves in the road or when raining. Negotiating the switchbacks between Yellowstone and Cody at night while raining cats, dogs, and rocks from overhead cliffs. A white knuckle experience for sure.

I've had the Phillips bulbs that came in it. No thanks!

Just last night while driving home after dark, there were at least 100 deer in a wintering herd within 25 yards of the road. Even with the Voslas, which are an improvement, I could only see their dark figure against the snow background, with the aid of the waning last quarter phase of the moon. They like to run into the side of slow moving vehicles.

Edited by Ventilator

It's great that you had a good experience. The consensus is that the Vosla bulbs are an improvement, but how much of an improvement is open to debate. My opinion is that it is about a 20% improvement over the old stock bulbs. But the Vosla bulbs are not rated for a long life-span (about 250 hours or so).

My plan is to go to the 65 watt Philips 9011 HIR bulbs (which I bought earlier, in an effort to improve the headlights, before the TSB). Those bulbs will fit the socket if the flange is trimmed so that it is like the stock 9012 bulbs; the 65 watt bulbs provide 10 more watts of illumination than the old 55 watt stock bulbs. In fact, I carry one of the 65 watt 9011's in my truck in case the left front Vosla bulb burns out (if it is the right front bulb, I will have to do it in the driveway at home, since it is a tougher job getting to the back of that headlamp by removing the airbox etc.). Bottom line here is that I don't expect to get more Vosla bulbs from the GM dealer for free, and I don't want to buy them. The Philips 65 Watt 9011 HIR bulbs can be purchased at Home Depot (by mail) and do at least as good a job as the Voslas.

That sums it up. If anyone reading this has a complaint about the headlights on the 2014-2015 GMC Sierra, recommend you go to the NTSB web page and file a safety complaint!

This is probably the route I will be going, once it is on my dime. If the Volsa bulbs are truly $60 like someone mentioned?

Now to find that old post about modifying the 9011 tabs and connectors. I have a few months yet but, need to get a backup plan in the works.

The stock Phillips (9012's ?), are not going to cut it.

It would really be nice if GM would step up, and do the right thing here. Their Band-Aid fix helps but, changing the bulbs every year at $60 a pop, is really going to get annoying, not to mention expensive. If you go on a trip out West, you better have a set of spares and tools at the ready.

Thanks for the modified 9011 reminder.

• Like 1

Ventilator, I definitely don't drive roads like you, luckily.

It is my understanding that the newest version of Phillips are to be better than what came in your 2014 when new.

Don't take my word for it, as either way the Vosla and Phillips bulbs do not work well in the headlamp of the Sierra. Lighting was definitely overlooked when GMC designed the trucks.

Swapping out to the '16 Sierra 2500 HID headlamps would be the answer but at a price.

Heard conflicting reports of performance of the use of the Putco Nite-Lux LED kit.

• Like 1

If you have a safety-related complaint about your 2014-2015 GMC Sierra headlights, it is strongly recommended that you file a complaint with the NHTSA.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

I filed a complaint and then wrote an email to the NHTSA titled “Complained – Now, so what?” They responded that an investigator might contact me in the future… and then provided this information:

“NHTSA technical staff conducts a continuous analysis of these reports to determine whether an unusual number of complaints of potential safety-related problems have been received on any specific line of vehicles, tires, or equipment (e.g., child safety seats, jacks, trailer hitches, etc.). The number of reported complaints and the severity of the consequences are carefully reviewed by technical staff and measured against the number of vehicles (or items of equipment) manufactured, and how many years the vehicles or equipment have been in service.

This ongoing evaluation process allows NHTSA technical staff to determine whether complaints represent isolated reports or a trend. If a trend is suspected and a problem has a potential for causing a risk to safety, the agency will open an investigation for more detailed analysis of the problem.”

It is important that every person who has a legitimate complaint about the Sierra’s headlights actually file a complaint – this is the only way that the NHTSA can be spurred to issue a recall.

Bringing this up again, as SierraRover mentions, everyone with a legit complaint on the headlights on the Sierra trucks should file a complaint on the NHTSA site.

Takes 5 minutes, please voice your concern!

124 followers of this topic, only around 20 complaints filed on the NHTSA site.

From what I read on this forum alone has to be more than 20 people who are not satisfied with the headlight performance on their Sierra.

Edited by Shredzy

Bringing this up again, as SierraRover mentions, everyone with a legit complaint on the headlights on the Sierra trucks should file a complaint on the NHTSA site.

Takes 5 minutes, please voice your concern!

124 followers of this topic, only around 20 complaints filed on the NHTSA site.

From what I read on this forum alone has to be more than 20 people who are not satisfied with the headlight performance on their Sierra.

NHTSA will NOT record or accept complaints from outside the US Complaints from other countries must be filed with the appropriate agency from the country of residence. It has been said that for every one complaint approximately 100 individuals do not complain. GM has a problem which they feel they have resolved to their satisfaction, and have ignored those of us who feel betrayed. My comment to GM was this will be the last GM produce I will purchase, their response was "we are sorry you are not satisfied with out product and regret that you will not be a future customer" in other words , we don't give a rats ass, we have your money that's all we are interested in!

• Like 2