Headlight Illumination Issues

Have you had the upgrade done?

Yes, I had the upgrade done. I recommend doing it. My guess is that it improves illumination by about 20%. But it uses the Vosla bulb, and some people report that the improvement in illumination lessens as the bulb gets dimmer or more yellow over time. And the Vosla bulb has a fairly short lifespan -- about 220 hours.

I still think GMC needs to do more, from a safety point of view, on these trucks. My Sierra is a great truck, and I really like it a lot: except for this one issue.

Edited by SierraRover
  • Like 1

20% better than poor is still poor in my book.

The lights are bad and they know it.

On another note: GM Profits Soar on Strong Truck Sales

"General Motors today posted pretax operating profit of $10.8 billion for 2015 -- including $2.8 billion in the fourth quarter -- driven by booming sales of pricey SUVs and pickups and strong earnings in China despite the slowing market there."

I'd attribute most of the sales to cheap fuel but cutting corners, a nickel here, a dime there, works too.

Wishing everyone good luck in the quest to be able to see "well" in the dark.

Yes, I had the upgrade done. I recommend doing it. My guess is that it improves illumination by about 20%. But it uses the Vosla bulb, and some people report that the improvement in illumination lessens as the bulb gets dimmer or more yellow over time. And the Vosla bulb has a fairly short lifespan -- about 220 hours.

I still think GMC needs to do more, from a safety point of view, on these trucks. My Sierra is a great truck, and I really like it a lot: except for this one issue.

So what's the sign that our headlight beam pattern is subpar? New truck owner 2015 Sierra Denali 5.3L 4x4 CC. Just learning all I can. TIA

Sent from my SG Note 4 on Tapatalk

The projector pattern is probably okay - if it had enough light at the source. I read somewhere they were engineered for HID bulbs, and GMC went with Halogen bulbs to save money -- the 2016's have HIDs, which apparently work much better.

Each projector in the 2014/15 Sierra has only one bulb, obviously, and it burns at a continuous level. There is a gate that cuts off the upper half of the pattern (for low beams) or allows the full amount of light (for high beams). That is why some people complain about the high beams "lighting up the tree tops in the distance." The high beams aren't brighter -- they just have a greater area of coverage vertically.

The low beams are a problem because they aren't very bright. I can drive around here (in the suburbs, with streetlights) most of the time not noticing the problem, as long as I stay on the main roads. There is a dim beam out there, and anything reflective, such as signs, car taillights, etc., will get picked up. Take the same truck out on a country road and the illumination is noticeably weak and short-range. Add rainy conditions, and it is terrible. Some people also complain these lights don't work well to the sides, either, in picking up anything crossing the road or along the edges.

So it is really a matter of perception from the driver's seat, and the internet has given us a number of places, including this forum, to share the misery. I don't know if the Denali has better lights -- perhaps LEDs? -- than the standard Sierra 1500. If you are fine with your headlights, especially on rainy country roads, read this thread no furth...

So what's the sign that our headlight beam pattern is subpar? New truck owner 2015 Sierra Denali 5.3L 4x4 CC. Just learning all I can. TIA

Sent from my SG Note 4 on Tapatalk

Drive at night when it's raining and trying to watch for deer. That will do it. If not drive a Durango and see what lights should be.

Drive at night when it's raining and trying to watch for deer. That will do it. If not drive a Durango and see what lights should be.

Yeah I stopped driving my truck and pulled my Mini out of winter storage, so I can drive safely at night. The Mini is full LED headlights, fogs and parking lights. Such a big difference.

• Like 1

It doesn't even need to be raining! Just last week with snow (allowing better visibility of deer usually) I had 6 deer out in front of the truck, with the sub-par lighting I was lucky enough to be able to stop in time to avoid hitting bambi.

Anyone see if they can swap in the HID's from a 2016? GMC should just do this for all 14-15 Sierra owners.

Has anyone looked into what it would take to install the MY16 headlamps into a '14-'15 Sierra? What components other than the headlamps would be required to do a real update?

It seems to be the way for GMC to move forward and provide us with their "professional grade" product.

It doesn't even need to be raining! Just last week with snow (allowing better visibility of deer usually) I had 6 deer out in front of the truck, with the sub-par lighting I was lucky enough to be able to stop in time to avoid hitting bambi.Has anyone looked into what it would take to install the MY16 headlamps into a '14-'15 Sierra? What components other than the headlamps would be required to do a real update?It seems to be the way for GMC to move forward and provide us with their "professional grade" product.

It's been mentioned, takes a harness change for one.

Has anyone looked into what it would take to install the MY16 headlamps into a '14-'15 Sierra? What components other than the headlamps would be required to do a real update?

It seems to be the way for GMC to move forward and provide us with their "professional grade" product.

I briefly looked into this. From what I recall there was Something about needing to replace the front end. I think it was bc the lights either didn't line up or the new assembly had different fastening points to the truck. Someone had tried to fit them at dealership for a customer I believe.

Then there was speculation if you did get them to fit, as to whether or not you could get the truck flashed/ reprogrammed so they would work since most assumed you would have to run all new wiring. There was also a lot of talk about updated bcm or ecm modules or whatever they are called that runs the show...I quit reading after that lol.

When there's a will there's a way though. The one guy can get your phone image mirrored on the display or let you play video while driving. So I guess it could be viable but costly.

I ended up adding rigid dot fogs and haven't looked back.

-Skeet

The '16 Sierra 2500 complete headlight assemblies may work depending if the headlight plug is the same as the '14/'15 plug (large rectangular). The '16 2500 now uses HID but not sure if they went to the smaller harness plug for '16 on the 2500. The '16 1500 now uses the new smaller plug. Jarod and Ofer did a prototype harness and sent it out to someone to try the '16 SLE HID lights on a '14 SLE. I haven't heard back to see if it worked or not.

As for just using the '16 factory Sierra HID bulbs in the '14/'15 housings, I don't think it's happening. I checked the HID bulbs on my '16 Silverado and the bulb and ballast is one unit. It pushes into several spring clips then there's a lever that rotates clockwise and latches to tighten the bulb/ballast assembly to the projector housing. The wiring and plug that goes to the ballast is internal and the plug isn't a standard 9012 plug . It's a very small plug that plugs into the ballast. I would think the '16 Sierra SLE HID has the same set-up as the '16 Silverado. I think the only factory options here is to use the complete '16 2500 Sierra headlights (if the harness plug on the headlight is the large type) or use the '16 Sierra HID headlight assemblies if the harness from Jarod works.

Edited by mafd2

The '16 Sierra 2500 complete headlight assemblies may work depending if the headlight plug is the same as the '14/'15 plug (large rectangular). The '16 2500 now uses HID but not sure if they went to the smaller harness plug for '16 on the 2500. The '16 1500 now uses the new smaller plug. Jarod and Ofer did a prototype harness and sent it out to someone to try the '16 SLE HID lights on a '14 SLE. I haven't heard back to see if it worked or not.

I think the only factory options here is to use the complete '16 2500 Sierra headlights (if the harness plug on the headlight is the large type) or use the '16 Sierra HID headlight assemblies if the harness from Jarod works.

^^ This would be good to know, now to search for the thread on that.....

I briefly looked into this. From what I recall there was Something about needing to replace the front end. I think it was bc the lights either didn't line up or the new assembly had different fastening points to the truck. Someone had tried to fit them at dealership for a customer I believe.

Then there was speculation if you did get them to fit, as to whether or not you could get the truck flashed/ reprogrammed so they would work since most assumed you would have to run all new wiring. There was also a lot of talk about updated bcm or ecm modules or whatever they are called that runs the show...I quit reading after that lol.

When there's a will there's a way though. The one guy can get your phone image mirrored on the display or let you play video while driving. So I guess it could be viable but costly.

I ended up adding rigid dot fogs and haven't looked back.

-Skeet

How do you like the RIGID fogs? Did you replace your original equipment fogs with them?