Headlight Illumination Issues

Had the tsb done on my truck Saturday, now with the first time driving the truck in the dark, it seems to be no better, maybe worse-can that be?

Checked the driver's side bulb and it is the Vosla, where the original was a Phillips.

Is there a specific orientation of the bulb when installed-currently they have it where the plug end is up at the "1:00" location.

I had the same conversion done, same crappy lighting GM really needs to do something! Lighting is disgusting and unsafe!

I can't see mine right now -- the truck is covered with snow! But the tabs and slots only line up one way, so if you remove it, and re-install it so it locks in tight, it will be the "right" way. Someone who can get to theirs right now can say if that is, or isn't, at the 1 o'clock position.

There have been reports on the thread of people having the bulb re-installed only part way into the hole, which causes the projector to aim the light incorrectly, scattering the focus.

I agree the Vosla bulb isn't great. It should be marginally better than the old bulb, but its nothing spectacular.

Edited by SierraRover

Here's 3 pictures and instructions I did up for you guys.

First, turn the bulb counterclockwise as if you would be removing it until all 3 black plastic tabs on the bulb are showing and the bulb is loose. Illustration #1

Turn bulb clockwise until it stops and be sure all 3 black tabs are under the metal spring clips. Be sure the bulb is turned clockwise until it stops at 1:00. #2

Illustration #3 shows an improper seated bulb as the black plastic bulb tab is over the spring clip and not under it. Check all 3 plastic tabs to be sure they are under the spring clips.

Hope this helps! Chris

post-91158-0-05621500-1438822290.jpg

post-91158-0-87929700-1438822320.jpg

post-91158-0-55525500-1438822343.jpg

post-91158-0-05621500-1438822290_thumb.jpg

post-91158-0-87929700-1438822320_thumb.jpg

post-91158-0-55525500-1438822343_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like the headlight lawsuit is working its way through the system:

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/9622938/Becerra_et_al_v_General_Motors_LLC_et_al

It'll be reviewed and dismissed once GM produces the Federal requirements for lighting which probably does not mention anything about the non-existant side lighting spill-over which is my main complaint. If the judge is interested, he'll want evidence that the lighting is not following the Fed's requirements.

I agree the Vosla bulb isn't great. It should be marginally better than the old bulb, but its nothing spectacular.

it is at first but over time it yellows out more and more.

It'll be reviewed and dismissed once GM produces the Federal requirements for lighting which probably does not mention anything about the non-existant side lighting spill-over which is my main complaint. If the judge is interested, he'll want evidence that the lighting is not following the Fed's requirements.

IF Judge Q Hayes has any brains, he will request to drive the vehicle in question then if necessary direct the FED's change their requirements, Fat chance of that happening, GM may meet Federal guidelines, however it is their responsibility to insure their vehicle is safe in all ways. If the 2016 has improved design, the question is why?

... If the 2016 has improved design, the question is why?

Vehicles are always improving, that's why. Also, I'm assuming that GM is telling the truth when the instruction sheet that came with the new bulbs and installation procedure is following the FED requirements to the T.

I think the most the judge would do is to require a testing agency to certify the lighting follows the Fed requirements. I'll betcha that Fed standard is more ancient than I am. Changing the Fed requirements would be laughably difficult. It would take a modern day Ralph Nader (Unsafe at any Speed) to push the lawsuit into a Congressional hearing.

mafd2, thanks for the pictures of the bulb installed correctly/incorrectly.

Checked my driver-side bulb, was installed correctly, assuming the pass.-side is as well as the light pattern when shown on my garage door looks the same.

Still thinking something amiss if the Vosla upgrade should show an improvement.

I made a motion to dismiss as well.

I dismissed the truck.

The folks who haven taken this to the next level have more patience than me. My time is too valuable too and I have never bought a vehicle to test the warranty.

My next truck, when I get around to it, will be a used older model with VERY good lights even if I have to pay for them. :rolleyes:

Good luck.

Had a extremely close call last night with 6 deer that appeared "out of nowhere" from my left, luckily I was only going about 40-45mph and the roads were dry. I agree with others that say the stock lighting is downright dangerous!

After that incident I experimented the rest of the way home and found that the fog/driving lamps on these trucks is a must, and that the high beam mode is useless in my opinion, only additional lighting provided by the "high" mode is road signs are lit up, no better lighting elsewhere.

Since having the update done I've been in contact with my dealer, their suggestion so far is to either put the Phillips bulbs back in (which to me seemed somewhat better than the Vosla), or try the aftermarket.

They had a customer who went to a local truck accessory shop and had a Putco Nit-Lux LED kit in and this customer stated to them that he is extremely happy now. (I checked with the shop, they want @ $300 installed for the kit.)

While at the dealer, a salesperson was showing a customer a new '15 Sierra, felt tempted to walk over and tell him to drive the truck at night before purchasing.

Regretting that I didn't get any before & after pictures of the lighting to compare the Phillips vs. Vosla bulbs, since I already had the most current bcm update when truck was built 6/'15.

Has anyone been able to do a Phillips vs. Vosla comparison?

From the specs., bulbs seem to be very similar in performance.

They will have changed the phillips bulb from what they were using prior to the production changed the bcm programming. No reason to expect the current production philips to perform different than the volso they were using for the service upgrade.