Am I Crazy to Trade In?

So I have a major mental dilemma going on right now. I love my 2015 HD. I owe very little on it (I had a great trade and put $$$ down) and I don't really pay a whole lot for it (less than 270/mo). Doing this wouldn't be an "in it upside down" kind of thing, more of a the heart wants what it wants. I would be walking away with money in my pocket.

However...I have come across two BEAUTIFUL GMT-800 HD trucks...

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?dealerId=4360954&zip=14612&endYear=2017&location=Spencerport%2BNY&startYear=1981&firstRecord=0&dealerName=Signature%2BCar%2BCompany&searchRadius=25&listingId=426499395&Log=0

and

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?dealerId=4360954&zip=14612&endYear=2017&location=Spencerport%2BNY&startYear=1981&firstRecord=0&dealerName=Signature%2BCar%2BCompany&searchRadius=25&listingId=401112189&Log=0

The latter of the two being rather near and dear to my heart. My first truck was the EXACT same thing as it. I would still be driving it today if I didn't get in an MVA 5 years ago totaling it. The only thing I am not too crazy about is the mileage, although its good for the year, and mine would have had more if I had kept it.

So...looking for some food for my thoughts. Would I be insane to sell my truck to buy one of the two of these trucks? Part of me says yes, but the other part of me sees both of them, especially the red one, and really gets me thinking.

Please help!!!!

Man that's tough. I'm a big GMT800 fan, but if your current truck isn't giving you any issues then I'd probably lean more toward keeping it. Especially since you don't owe much on it or pay that much per month.

Giant step backward. I'd miss all the added good stuff on the 15.

True...plus I added the new tow mirrors to it. And the newer 6.0 is just as good but much better...

Man that's tough. I'm a big GMT800 fan, but if your current truck isn't giving you any issues then I'd probably lean more toward keeping it. Especially since you don't owe much on it or pay that much per month.

I was actually hoping to see a post from you lol. I recall you had a 2012 6.2 Z71, and you now have that 2006 but I don't remember why you had made the switch...

I think what I am going to do is at least drive out there and look at them both, as they are only 15-20 miles from me. Looks are very deceiving here in NY though, so they may not be as good as they seem.

True...plus I added the new tow mirrors to it. And the newer 6.0 is just as good but much better...

I was actually hoping to see a post from you lol. I recall you had a 2012 6.2 Z71, and you now have that 2006 but I don't remember why you had made the switch...

I think what I am going to do is at least drive out there and look at them both, as they are only 15-20 miles from me. Looks are very deceiving here in NY though, so they may not be as good as they seem.

I had an 05 & 09 Z71, and an 11 6.2L NHT. I traded the 09 on the 11 because it was giving me transmission trouble. The 11 was traded in on my 14 Cruze so I could lower my payment to buy a decent house whenever the house I was trying to buy at the time didn't work out because it was in a flood zone. The 06 I have now was bought because it was cheap, and optioned exactly how I wanted.

I personally would keep what you have, and that top truck is over priced. The red one is more fairly priced. Still a pretty significant downgrade from what you have, the current HD platform is much better then the older ones.

No brainer for me - I'd dump the '15 faster than you can say "sticker shock", buy BOTH, and pat myself on the back in 10 years when the '15's are breaking down left and right. Less insurance, & less taxes to boot - a win-win. Plus, no top end cleaning needed due to lack of D.I. . We still don't know what kind of gremlins will show up in just a few years ...

With a few mods, you can have a truck every bit as good, if not better, than a brand new one for less half the money.

Modern stuff is nice when it's new ... but just imagine what all that wiring will throw at you years down the road. My '07 is bad enough - my service manual for it is a foot thick. Can't imagine how bad the '15's are ...

i like the blue one better but thats just me, i dont like red trucks lol, i didnt look at the prices just the pictures and both look really nice. a 2006 with 45k miles on it would make me nervous though, means it sat for long periods of time or never saw any good highway miles. Im also used to texas trucks though, my truck at 142k on an 06 is considered low milage around here lol.

i like the 800s better myself, so much easier to work on and you can upfit/upgrade them alot easier too which is what i've been doing to mine. Tough call though but i say do what make YOU happy and who cares what everyone else says :)

No brainer for me - I'd dump the '15 faster than you can say "sticker shock", buy BOTH, and pat myself on the back in 10 years when the '15's are breaking down left and right. Less insurance, & less taxes to boot - a win-win. Plus, no top end cleaning needed due to lack of D.I. . We still don't know what kind of gremlins will show up in just a few years ...

With a few mods, you can have a truck every bit as good, if not better, than a brand new one for less half the money.

Modern stuff is nice when it's new ... but just imagine what all that wiring will throw at you years down the road. My '07 is bad enough - my service manual for it is a foot thick. Can't imagine how bad the '15's are ...

The engine in his HD does not have DI. The '15 is and will always be a better frame, 6 speed transmission, and updated 6.0L than the 99-07 trucks. I understand you hate your truck, but the fact is that the '15 is a much improved truck.

I can see that ... with the warped dashes, rough idling, and myriad of other issues plaguing them. :lol:

Didn't know the HD's weren't DI.

Is that just the 6.0 that's not DI, or do they not install 5.3's in them? I know nothing about the new ones, because I'll never own one.

The 6.0 in the HD is still the regular fuel injection found in the 07-14 style trucks, no 5.3L in the HD's. The heavy duty platform doesn't seem to have near the bad reviews the half ton does. I know several contractors around here running them with very minimal complaints.

Archived