Engine Tick - 2015 GMC Sierra 5.3

Do you have the bulletin number?
Dropped mine off Monday and showed them pip5570a. They're applying a new boot. I showed them the grease trick and explained how it was working and all makes sense. I just forwarded them the previous message about something behind the dash also rattling possibly. I'll let you all know when I get it back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On 11/23/2018 at 10:24 PM, bkesting said:

Haven't read through all 39 pages, but in summary if you have an engine tick, this boot is first place to look?  I have a 16 LTZ that has a tick that I just assumed was "normal".

Many are saying that the boot and grease help.

On my 2015 I had the vacuum pump replaced for a different issue (hard brake pedal).  After that was done the tick was gone!

Have a new boot on my truck and it’s fixed!! I have been trying to figure this out for ever 2 damn years, we have gone through so many damn scenarios and tried so many things here on the forum but it’s finally over

EDIT: noise is back. The replacement boot did not change much. Still unfixed, I hit bumps and it comes and goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

So I got the PIP5570A done today on my 17 Sierra, and all noises are gone.  I couldn't be happier.  It's been driving me crazy for a year and a half.  Dealer acknowledged the Bulletin and without question replaced the parts and all were covered under warranty.  Feels like I'm driving a new car again.  Just for the record, they did say the old boot was not seated properly.  I'm in Canada, and dealer had no issues, so all my fellow Canadians who have this issue, go get it fixed.   

1 hour ago, hihosilverado said:

I tried the grease trick and my noise went away!  If it comes back, I would rather replace the boot myself than fool with the dealer as the boot is pretty cheap.  Anyone know how this part comes off?  Just the three nuts on the firewall and the 15mm bolt on the shaft close to the coupling?

How did you grease it?  Did you put grease in the boot?

With the information from this thread, I went to the dealer and told them about the pip5570 and had the service performed in mid-December. Sound went away initially but now its back. Truck is going back in next week.

• Like 1