I did not see this before, I hope I am not double tapping a previous question.  I have DL8 mirrors on an 2018 LT.  I want to upgrade to the OEM power folding tow mirrors.  I also want to modify the mirrors to put in the running lights with switchbacks in place of the front facing LEDs.  Is there a hot wire in the mirror that I can pick up power for the LEDs or do I have to run a wire outside the harness?  Thanks for the info. 

Hi Phil, I have a 2018 Silverado LT and I've just installed passenger side DL3 mirror with the 84125566 harness that comes with. I founded out after all that mirror adjust functions were not active so I've compare the original wiring harness and put wires that were missing to get the adjust but still not working... Nothing has change in the driver side door so the adjust signal pins should be still working right?

What I've done so far:

I've took wires on cavities 9-10 from the mirror connector of 84125566 harness(I found out that those wires are the ones to make the mirror adjustment) and feed them from cavities 36-38 of the door connector.

I also wanted that my cargo lamp activate the mirror puddle light so I manage to put a pin in cavity 9 with a diode and feed cavity 3, at least this is working fine ;)

BTW it's really a pain in the ass trying to remove pins in the door connector.

Once I will find a way to activate passenger side mirror adjustment, I will do driver side, the mirror switch with fold button is already ordered... Please let me know if I'm in the right way

Thanks!

Thomas

IMG_8322.jpg

Looking to source the parts for a DL8 to DL3 conversion (both DL3 mirrors, any PnP materials) where is the best place to buy? I found DL3 mirrors from 1A Auto but they have a textured black finish that I apparently cant fit my original mirror caps over which is something I'd like to do. 

So I have a 2015 chevy 1500 LTZ and im looking to put tow mirrors on in place of my stock ones. My stock ones are the DL3 style im pretty sure with all the power options on them. ive found many tow style options online but many do not come power folding and also with the reverse light in it. Will those work for me even without the power folding or will that mess me up because I have the function in my truck but not the new mirrors??

On 4/19/2019 at 4:19 AM, Spedelbrock said:

I have a 2015 LT with DL8 mirrors and i just want power heat and marker light .... What all do I need for this conversion? Thank you

A few things.  You'll need to inspect your door jamb connector (on the body side) and see if you have pins 9 and 11.  These circuits are the running light and cargo light circuits.  IF you have them, then that's good news.

Next - you want to select a mirror.  There aren't many mirrors out there with just the marker (running) light.  Most all of them have the rearward cargo light.  So cargo lights will be bonus.  

Once you figured those out, next will be to either - Swap the door harnesses to support the new mirrors OR modify your factory harnesses.  Either option, I can build a custom set of door harnesses OR a DIY Kit for you to modify your door harnesses.  

As far as mirrors, there are TONS in the aftermarket space.  I personally prefer GM mirrors, but if I had to choose an aftermarket set, I would get 1A Auto or AM Auto Mirrors.

Hope this helps.  If you need more info, please send me a PM.

Thanks!

On 4/19/2019 at 12:22 PM, e181ds said:

I did not see this before, I hope I am not double tapping a previous question.  I have DL8 mirrors on an 2018 LT.  I want to upgrade to the OEM power folding tow mirrors.  I also want to modify the mirrors to put in the running lights with switchbacks in place of the front facing LEDs.  Is there a hot wire in the mirror that I can pick up power for the LEDs or do I have to run a wire outside the harness?  Thanks for the info. 

I have personally done this mod for a member here.  He went with GM DQS Tow Mirrors, and a set of Boost Auto Switchbacks.  

Turned out great!  The switchbacks came with a wire harness to tap the mirror's existing running lamp circuit to bring the running light and the turn signal into the switchback assembly.  See pics.

11 hours ago, GyroThom said:

Hi Phil, I have a 2018 Silverado LT and I've just installed passenger side DL3 mirror with the 84125566 harness that comes with. I founded out after all that mirror adjust functions were not active so I've compare the original wiring harness and put wires that were missing to get the adjust but still not working... Nothing has change in the driver side door so the adjust signal pins should be still working right?

What I've done so far:

I've took wires on cavities 9-10 from the mirror connector of 84125566 harness(I found out that those wires are the ones to make the mirror adjustment) and feed them from cavities 36-38 of the door connector.

I also wanted that my cargo lamp activate the mirror puddle light so I manage to put a pin in cavity 9 with a diode and feed cavity 3, at least this is working fine ;)

BTW it's really a pain in the ass trying to remove pins in the door connector.

Once I will find a way to activate passenger side mirror adjustment, I will do driver side, the mirror switch with fold button is already ordered... Please let me know if I'm in the right way

Thanks!

Thomas

IMG_8322.jpg

@GyroThom - You have a LOT more going on here than most.  I did the same as you when a first started this upgrade.  You are MUCH better off modifying a set of DL8 harnesses and adding the missing circuits that modify the DL3 harness.  There are a total of 11 circuits that need to come out of  a DL3 harness and 10 new circuits added.  It is a royal PITA to do it this way.  I suggest modifying your DL8 harness and adding the missing light circuits.  

6 hours ago, asyeag01 said:

Looking to source the parts for a DL8 to DL3 conversion (both DL3 mirrors, any PnP materials) where is the best place to buy? I found DL3 mirrors from 1A Auto but they have a textured black finish that I apparently cant fit my original mirror caps over which is something I'd like to do. 

Hey there.  I can supply you with all you need for this upgrade.  I have "kits" for $750 shipped anywhere in the US.  This kit includes:  DL3 Mirrors, Custom DL8 - DL3 PnP Harnesses, GM Fold Switch.

PM if you want to order.  

6 hours ago, brando281 said:

So I have a 2015 chevy 1500 LTZ and im looking to put tow mirrors on in place of my stock ones. My stock ones are the DL3 style im pretty sure with all the power options on them. ive found many tow style options online but many do not come power folding and also with the reverse light in it. Will those work for me even without the power folding or will that mess me up because I have the function in my truck but not the new mirrors??

If you get a set of mirrors that don't support mirror memory or power fold, that is not an issue.  You can use them, you'll just lose those features. 

If you want the lighting features to operate properly, you'll have to swap door harnesses OR modify your factory harnesses.  

Lastly, with 2015 trucks, you will need to explore your door jamb connector (on the cabin side) and see if you have pins 9 and 11.  These are the cargo light and the running light circuits.

IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

11 hours ago, brando281 said:

I just got ALMOST done installing the Trail Ridge TR00284 /1AMRP01794 from 1A Auto.  The picture on their website is not correct in that it shows the amber lenses on the markers and it actually comes with the smoked lenses (which I preferred).  I ordered a set of jumpers to modify my OEM door harness from @pgamboaand will finish the door harnesses once I get the kit from him.  I also had to install the RZY harness as the 2014 and early 2015 trucks with the DL3 option didn't come prewired for the towing mirrors (2015.5 and later did, early in this thread you can check the door connecter pins to see if your truck is already prewired or not).  I have functionality on the power fold, power mirror adjust, turn signals, and puddle lamps right now, and will gain the spotlight and marker light functions once I get the kit in from Phil.   I absolutely love these mirrors for both the fit and functionality they provide and they look fantastic.   The most difficult part was wiring in the RZY harness, but you may not need to do this.   Good luck on your project!

Front Left Quarter.jpg

Front Right Quarter.jpg

• Like 1

I am a little confused. SO I believe I have the DL3 mirrors (power, no heat, manual fold) on my 2015 Silverado 1500. I want to upgrade to some tow mirrors. Now I dont need all the bells and whistles, but it would be nice to have (power, heat, and maybe the turn signals) How would I go about this? Do I have to buy a set of mirrors that only offer those options?

I was thinking of going with either one of these options from 1aauto
https://www.1aauto.com/mirror-pair-trail-ridge-tr00079/i/1amrp01771?f=1092563&y=2015
https://www.1aauto.com/mirror-pair-trail-ridge-tr00045/i/trmrp00045?f=1111772&y=2015

Edited by boostnls1
forgot to add links.
  • Like 1

I am a little confused. SO I believe I have the DL3 mirrors (power, no heat, manual fold) on my 2015 Silverado 1500. I want to upgrade to some tow mirrors. Now I dont need all the bells and whistles, but it would be nice to have (power, heat, and maybe the turn signals) How would I go about this? Do I have to buy a set of mirrors that only offer those options?

I was thinking of going with either one of these options from 1aauto
https://www.1aauto.com/mirror-pair-trail-ridge-tr00079/i/1amrp01771?f=1092563&y=2015
https://www.1aauto.com/mirror-pair-trail-ridge-tr00045/i/trmrp00045?f=1111772&y=2015

If your mirrors are manual fold, smaller style mirrors, they are DL8.

As for the mirror selection you listed, the first set is power fold while the other cheaper set is manual fold. You can gain power fold if you chose. If you let me know what all you want to gain, I can get you the appropriate part # to the mirror you should look at.

Main thing to consider:

Power Fold vs Manual

The mirrors you selected both have turn signal indicator, running (marker) lights, cargo (spotlight) lamps, power adjust, and heat.

Cap style - chrome or black textured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, pgamboa said:

If your mirrors are manual fold, smaller style mirrors, they are DL8.

As for the mirror selection you listed, the first set is power fold while the other cheaper set is manual fold. You can gain power fold if you chose. If you let me know what all you want to gain, I can get you the appropriate part # to the mirror you should look at.

Main thing to consider:

Power Fold vs Manual

The mirrors you selected both have turn signal indicator, running (marker) lights, cargo (spotlight) lamps, power adjust, and heat.

Cap style - chrome or black textured.

I would like to have pretty much everything but the power fold honestly.

• Like 1

Personal opinion here. I had DL8 mirrors and talked the dealer into tow mirrors without power fold. If I had it to do over again I would definitely get the mirrors with power fold. Even if I had to pay for them. Is it a big deal, no, but to me it would be worth it to have them. And if you're buying the mirrors and harnesses anyway go ahead and spend the little extra to get the power fold mirrors. 

• Like 2

I would like to have pretty much everything but the power fold honestly.

Just FYI - the amount of effort on the swap and the harness build cost is the same between power fold/manual fold.

And if I remember correctly Phil has a contact for the OEM mirrors at a good price and has the switch and makes the harnesses so it's kinda a one stop shop if you get them through him. Oh and you'll be helping a guy that's helped a ton of us. :)

Edited by Davidj101
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Davidj101 said:

Personal opinion here. I had DL8 mirrors and talked the dealer into tow mirrors without power fold. If I had it to do over again I would definitely get the mirrors with power fold. Even if I had to pay for them. Is it a big deal, no, but to me it would be worth it to have them. And if you're buying the mirrors and harnesses anyway go ahead and spend the little extra to get the power fold mirrors. 

Makes sense. I guess I will just go that route then.