• 3 weeks later...

Where can I purchase this custom harness 

On 2/22/2017 at 1:55 PM, pgamboa said:

All,

Due to the overwhelming interest in folks wanting to upgrade their mirrors, I wanted to start this thread, hopefully, with all the information pertaining to the process of upgrading your mirrors, the different mirror types, the GM supported upgrade path, the non-GM supported upgrade path, what all is involved, and any known issues.

I receive about 15-20 PMs daily around this upgrade. I will try to respond to all as I am able to. Please read through this entire 1st post in its entirety as I hope it answers all your questions. I also hope that this thread is your “one-stop shop” for all questions surrounding this upgrade.

I have spent MANY months (since June 2016) trying to understand these mirrors and what all is involved to make the upgrade successful. Like many of you reading this thread, you have probably spent countless hours researching online, reading threads upon threads, and watching YouTube videos for some info and guidance. For those that have tried this upgrade on your own, you have probably ended up with the same results of something not working correctly, which ultimately landed you back here on the Forum.

I have helped numerous members here achieve the same upgrade desires with success. This started out with me wanting to upgrade the standard DL8 Mirrors on my 2016 Silverado, 1500, LT, CCSB, 5.3L Gas Truck. I have helped members with Standard DL8 Mirrors upgrade to DL3 Mirrors as well as members wanting to upgrade to Towing Mirrors.

So, let’s get started…

Mirror Types:

DE2 Mirrors - These are the basic mirrors found on W/T Trucks. They do not have power anything. They are manual adjust, manual fold, etc.

DL8 Mirrors – These are the most common mirrors found on LT/SLE trucks and are the next level from DE2 Mirrors. DL8 Mirrors are Heated, Power Adjust, and Manual Fold. If your truck has 1LT/2LT options, this will most likely be the same mirror.

DL3 Mirrors – These are mirrors are the “Premium” version to the DL8 Mirrors that most folks are wanting to upgrade to. These mirrors are typically found on your higher trim LTZ/High Country and SLT/Denali trucks. These mirrors are: Heated, Power Adjust, Power Fold, Turn Signal, Puddle Lamps, and Auto Dim (Driver’s Side).

Towing Mirrors – These mirrors are the larger mirrors designed to help with towing. These mirrors can be found as options in some 2500/3500 Heavy Duty Trucks. They come in (2) main flavors.

• DPN – These are Manually Folding, Manually Extending, Heated, Turn Signal, Cargo (also referred to as Courtesy Lamps), and Clearance Lamps (also referred to as Park/Running Lamps)
  • DQS – These are essentially the same as DPN except they are Power Folding and supports Mirror Memory if your truck has this feature.

Aftermarket Towing Mirrors – There are TONS of aftermarket options out there. The result should be the same (for the most part) on the upgrade. The way that manufactures “pin” their connectors, they typically pin them the same as the GM - OEM ones. Watch out for any Manufacture that says they have the “option” of adding a separate harness or connector for added functionality. If it’s not already in the connector, I would stay away from those or contact me for mirror connector customization.

[/url]

Note: RPO Code - K40 Option (Exhaust Brake) for Diesel Trucks. If you have a Diesel Truck, you will NEED to get the appropriate DL3, DPN, DQS Mirror WITH the K40 Option. This is basically a temperature sensor on the passenger side mirror. Without this, you will get a Check Engine Light (CEL) error come on with an “Ambient Temperature” message on your DIC (Driver Information Center). This is NOT an issue with Gas Trucks. You can install a passenger mirror with the temperature sensor on a gas truck with no issue (I am using a K40 optioned DL3 Mirror on my truck).

Here is a video I put together on the entire process. This video covers the following:

• Removing the Door Panel
  • Removing the Door Harness
  • Installing the Power Fold Switch

[/url]GM Supported Upgrade Path – Upgrade DL8 or DL3 Mirrors to Towing Mirrors:

49e9b5ec5facc57dcab1f391723b41bb.jpg 

If you do need the RZY Harness, I created a "How To" Installation Video here:

Here is an additional video showing the detail of the RZY Harness.

Non-GM Supported Upgrade Path – Upgrade DL8 Mirrors to DL3 Mirrors.

926c72a521d7707fa65bffdce883ed4b.jpg  

2014 – Known Issue:

0ccd9615b9d457f7a7151b42a689ba13.jpg 

WT/LS – Trim Owners:

Custom Plug and Play Harnesses – $285 Shipped to (50 US States - for Canada, please add $47.95)

Custom DIY Kit – $65 Shipped (Ships First Class Mail with Tracking - for Canada, please add $10)

af5f862900deda6d40a4ccab4ae5b89e.jpg 

I will also provide you with ANY information regarding this upgrade even you don't buy from me. My goal is to help everyone achieve their mirror upgrade goals.

If you decide to move forward with ANY purchase or if you have additional questions, please let me know. It is helpful to know all the details of your truck to provide the best possible solution.

For example:

2016 Silverado, LT, 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L Gas.

Thanks, everyone! Hope to help as many people as I can to achieve this upgrade!

Please enjoy this Time Lapse Video to get an idea of what is involved with the customization of the harness. Each set takes about 1hr to modify, plus another hour test. So a completed set is roughly 3 hrs to build and test.

How to remove the DL8/DL3 Mirror Caps.

How to remove Tow Mirror Caps.

Where can I purchase this custom harness 

Contact me at HarnessDR.com

I’ll validate the needs and get you what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, kyle hinshaw said:

I have a 2016 GMC 2500 hd with W/T non tow mirrors. all manual mirrors... is there a tow mirror upgrade i can do to this truck? you say it is posible but not as streight forward enough for me... do you have a video specific to this upgrade? thanks!!!!!!

I can’t imagine yours would be any different than mine I had a 2017 Sierra 1500 they came with the very plain manual  mirrors they almost look like car mirrors I hated them if you want I can send you a list of everything I put in that worked for me. The install was super easy there was only like seven or eight screws to pull the door panel off it pulled right off and then just had to replace the harnesses in the doors. And of course the switch and replace the mirrors all in all it took maybe 20 minutes each door. 

21 minutes ago, kyle hinshaw said:

did u have the all manual mirrors? 

I had the plain ole no power anything mirrors.  No wires going to them at all.  No switch. Nothing. Upgraded to the power tow mirrors with cargo lamp.  Marker lamp.  Turn signal etc.  not power folding. 

B10A2A32-EEC1-499C-92AE-BFBFAA784361.png

A53607C1-F05F-4B17-A72D-CAB29826C665.png

I have a 2016 GMC 2500 hd with W/T non tow mirrors. all manual mirrors... is there a tow mirror upgrade i can do to this truck? you say it is posible but not as streight forward enough for me... do you have a video specific to this upgrade? thanks!!!!!!

I can supply all you need for this upgrade - so long as you have power windows.

I got a little over 50% of the way finished with my DL3 upgrade from DL8 today before the sun made it up over head and I lost my shade. I finished the drivers side completely. I have turn a signal and a puddle light that doesn't seem very bright at all and the mirror will move. Not sure you could see a puddle with the amount of light coming from the puddle light however. I also noticed the lens is not flat but has a wave to it so I compared it to the passengers side mirror that has yet to go on. They are the same.

Is there an upgrade for the puddle lamp to make it brighter?

It shouldn't take me very long Friday morning to finish up the passengers side. Woo hoo!!

I got a little over 50% of the way finished with my DL3 upgrade from DL8 today before the sun made it up over head and I lost my shade. I finished the drivers side completely. I have turn a signal and a puddle light that doesn't seem very bright at all and the mirror will move. Not sure you could see a puddle with the amount of light coming from the puddle light however. I also noticed the lens is not flat but has a wave to it so I compared it to the passengers side mirror that has yet to go on. They are the same.

Is there an upgrade for the puddle lamp to make it brighter?

It shouldn't take me very long Friday morning to finish up the passengers side. Woo hoo!!

What year is your truck? Dim puddle lamps usually occur with 2014 trucks and generally need a diode to correct that. Are also saying you can or cannot adjust the mirror?

13 minutes ago, pgamboa said:

What year is your truck? Dim puddle lamps usually occur with 2014 trucks and generally need a diode to correct that. Are also saying you can or cannot adjust the mirror?

Everything about the mirror function as it should with the exception of the puddle lamp. Mine is a 2014 of course but, so are the mirrors I found out today when I swapped mirror covers.

Edit:

I just read about the diode location and headed back out to see if I have on on hand.

Edited by Eddie 70