OnStar unlimited data $20

Just a heads up. Today OnStar launched an unlimited data tethering plan for the hotspot built into 2015+ Silverados. $20 a month. I just signed up, and added a Chomecast Audio to the console so I can cast Google Play Music, Pandora, Spotify, etc.

https://www.onstar.com/us/en/services/connections/4glte.html

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I guess they listened to suggestions.

Just a heads up. Today OnStar launched an unlimited data tethering plan for the hotspot built into 2015+ Silverados. $20 a month. I just signed up, and added a Chomecast Audio to the console so I can cast Google Play Music, Pandora, Spotify, etc.

Thanks for the heads up. I have an Amazon Echo Dot that I pair with my truck once to test. With this I could use it all I want. The only bummer is that I can't have my phone and my Echo paired over bluetooth at the same time.

Thanks for the heads up. I have an Amazon Echo Dot that I pair with my truck once to test. With this I could use it all I want. The only bummer is that I can't have my phone and my Echo paired over bluetooth at the same time.

Doesn't the dot have an output for 3.5mm? Run a cord to the aux port and don't use bluetooth on the dot?

I signed up this morning as well. I have a Roku connected to my MVI 360 camera module and a headrest monitor for my daughter in the back so I can now stream unlimited Sesame Street and Cat in the Hat for her through the PBS kids app. As an FYI the connection can be throttled after 22GB.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk. My build thread: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/192614-tenscourts-2016-ltzz71-ccsb-4wd-silverado/

Doesn't the dot have an output for 3.5mm? Run a cord to the aux port and don't use bluetooth on the dot?

Yes it does have a 3.5mm output. I replaced my inside console USB module with part #22990883 to gain an SD card reader, but recently discovered my Aux port doesn't work. I'm not sure if it's the module or something else.

Also, the Dot seems to behave differently with 3.5mm out vs bluetooth. If you have something plugged into its 3.5mm jack, it will send all audio to the jack, even if there's nothing on the other end playing it. With bluetooth, if you're connected it sends audio via BT; if you're not, it plays from its internal speaker. Therefore if I have it plugged in, it may be doing things that I can't hear. Not a big deal, just not optimal.

Hopefully I can get my aux-in fixed so I can use it as a backup to BT.

Am I the only one that didn't even use my free trial?

Nope, me and you both. Could care less, if I need to make my truck a hotspot, I click one button on my phone. I never understood the need for this, not once. But I can see if you have kids, or lots of people riding with you it may come in handy to have it built into the truck..

Am I the only one that didn't even use my free trial?

Nope! Didn't use it on the Malibu or Impala either. I rarely carried my cell phone while driving having OnStar paying almost $800/yr for basic on all 4 vehicles and the one time I really needed it I was told my 800+ minutes had expired and I had to purchase additional minutes for the emergency call....a 7 year customer!......still they refused and wouldn't restore the minutes or put through a call without the additional purchase. Immediately cancelled all the OnStar accounts and went out and bought a disposable phone to get me through the day.

All of the vehicles have Bluetooth, and 3 have AutoAndroid, and still under the 5 year warranty and auto insurance covers the towing. For $600 bought 4 Samsung S7s which I keep stored and plugged in the vehicles that have AA but don't have a GPS - and for less than what I was paying monthly for OnStar I have all these phones available with Internet access.

With Bluetooth, AutoAndroid and IPlay built in.......OnStar - who the hell needs them?

Thanks, just signed up!

EDIT: Left work, connected to my wifi, and it's not working. They took the money out of my account immediately but when I called they said it's the first day and there may be some issues. Hmm.

Archived