Hideous front hood vent

If you're cruising, even with a conventional intake your intake air should be within 3 degrees of ambient. That's what it is in my 2006. However, around town I would think that the scoop should help quite a bit, I've seen intake air temps 130+, stop and go driving in the summer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think the GMC looks better but yes it is for performance enhancement.

12% more HP and 19% more torque.

Took a lot more than the hood scoop to get the increase....

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 2

No.

Oh okay. There are 2 running around near me but the owners must have added aftermarket LED's to the scoop. If you look really close there are 3 small indentations in the center bar. I guess they found LED's that fit in that area. It really looks good at night!

To each their own - I happen to love mine - both looks and function.

It would be neat to put some LEDs there - even neater to have a circuit that would sequence them back and forth like KIT. Hmmmmmmmm.

I had one of these come up in my rear view mirror yesterday, it looked great, much better than the new Ford with it's square LED DRL! Now that's ugly...

I've seen 1 in this area & yeah, not attractive in the least. According to the nephew the [ FORD ] LEDs are only on certain trims. I had asked him why some of the '17s didn't have the ugly lights while 1 did.

My only concern would be while driving in wet 'packing' snow. We've all seen vehicles w/ snow stuck to the grille & bumper when driving thru a snow 'event'. The 'scoop' would get filled pretty easy & then freeze.

Edited by revrnd

It would be neat to put some LEDs there - even neater to have a circuit that would sequence them back and forth like KIT. Hmmmmmmmm.

The ones around me with the 3 LEDs do look sharp. Just FYI -- the sequencing ones are illegal per Federal DOT regulations. If you put them on a switch so you could turn them off you might be able to get away with it ...

I like the hood scoop.

It's one of the reasons I'm considering going back to a duramax.

You've been considering for far too long ?

Financially unable to trade in anyways, but my toughest time when I thought I would go for the l5p for a quick second was which one to go with.

I've grown quite fond of all the small nuances of the Sierra, but the scoop, imo, looks so much better on the Silverado.

With that being said, I finally saw a Sierra in person and looked better in real life, but I still prefer the Silverado look.

You've been considering for far too long

Financially unable to trade in anyways, but my toughest time when I thought I would go for the l5p for a quick second was which one to go with.

I've grown quite fond of all the small nuances of the Sierra, but the scoop, imo, looks so much better on the Silverado.

With that being said, I finally saw a Sierra in person and looked better in real life, but I still prefer the Silverado look.

I hear ya.

I've been a GMC fan for about 40 years or more, but I'm liking the 4 headlight look on the Silverado.

I've seen 1 in this area & yeah, not attractive in the least. According to the nephew the [ FORD ] LEDs are only on certain trims. I had asked him why some of the '17s didn't have the ugly lights while 1 did.

My only concern would be while driving in wet 'packing' snow. We've all seen vehicles w/ snow stuck to the grille & bumper when driving thru a snow 'event'. The 'scoop' would get filled pretty easy & then freeze.

Not at all. I had a functional ram air hood on my old dually, never had this issue. 7b149182040081611a7d1f22610d2d23.jpg

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
On 4/15/2017 at 8:03 AM, Static said:

If you could transplant it on a 17' 1500 without losing the already sexy front end I would do in in a heart beat. That would look awesome.

If you are referring to the hood, then yes on the Sierra it is a direct bolt on (almost, hinges,etc are different) for the stock hood.  The Silverado's unfortunately is not.