Looking to buy GMT900

Hey all, so I was in the 2014+ section asking all of the fellers there about possibly buying a 2016-2017 truck. After a lot of great input and personally thinking about it, I've decided that I'll be much better off going after an older GM truck. Reasons are: I usually use a company truck for work travel, I am planning on investing in other things (house), and I just don't want $30k+ tied up in something that I'll hardly use (I work between 80-105 hours a week right now when needed). I love the new styling, but it's just not practical for me. I just sold my 2012 Ram 2500 diesel for the same reason: it just wasn't practical paying $530/mo on something that sits around when I don't even need the extra capability of a diesel in the first place. So here I am....

I would really like to hear your guys' personal experience/knowledge on this generation of GM trucks. I am leaning hard toward a Chevy currently as opposed to a GMC. I'd like to hear the difference between the 2007-2013 model years, such as engine design changes, transmissions, etc. because I know they definitely made some changes. That being said, I think 2013 is out of the question because it is too new. 2007 is the first remodel, so there's no chance that I'd buy that year either. So really I'm interested in 2008-2012. I'd prefer 2010-2012 due to their higher mpg ratings (can someone shed some light on me pertaining to this?????) do the 2010+ trucks ACTUALLY get better mileage than the older 2nd generation trucks?

Lastly, I am looking for an LT trim of some sort. Is it common to find an LT with adjustable pedals? I'd like to have that since I'm only 5'5" haha!! If I find the right one but it doesn't have adj. pedals, would that be something hard to find and install myself? (I figure the answer is yes)...

Here's what I'd like, in order of most "needed" to least "needed":

- crew cab

- 4x4 5.3

- grey in color

- LT

- less than 150k miles

- adjustable foot pedals

- cloth seats

- remote start

- tow package & trailer brake

- appearance package (color matched grille and bumper)

- full center console in the front!

I'm online every day looking for the right one. It seems impossible to find all those options together. For instance, I've never seen an LT with the appearance package that also had adjustable foot pedals.

Thanks!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you wait 12-18 months? My 2010 will be for sale, currently only have 75K miles. 6.2L V-8 :)

Has everything except color, adjustable pedals (this was an LTZ package) and larger engine

If you dont want a 13, then get an 11 or 12. I think they corrected afm oil issue on 11+. If you get a NAV, the 12+ use a hard drive vs disk system and it works great (got a 64 gig thumb drive with all my tunes). 6 speed tranny is pretty reliable. Doubt you will find adj pedals without ltz, but if you do it will be a later edition. They put 3.08 gears with the 6 speed to get better hwy numbers and my 11 avy with that set up would get 22 @ 60mph (hard to drive that slow).

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I'm in the same hunt as you. I love my 07, but the 10 and up get the six speed trans instead of the weak 4 speed. My 07 has 205k on it and is starting to get rusty, I still get compliments, but the rust bothers me now. In '10 I think the 5.3 got an ecm update over the previous gen. I'm not really sure about the mpgs, and how they gotem because I think an 07 iron 5.3 is the same as a 13.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've seen several grey crew cab LT's with pedal adjustment after searching within a 200-300mile radius from me.. they just don't have everything else that I want LOL.

So what I'm starting to see is that my initial hunch about 10+ being substantially better trucks overall, seems to be true.. I'd love to have a 6 speed if possible and better mpg numbers.

And what is AFM?....

2009 was the first year with the 6-Speed transmissions in the 1500 series trucks.

The 4WD trucks have aluminum blocks (LC9 5.3L engine) for example.

There were some 6.0 4WD 1500 series and even a handful of 2009 6.2s with 4WD built as Tahoe's.

2010 introduced the USB port and connection to the Nav unit/radio.

It's hard for me to tell online if a certain truck has AFM or not. Did all 5.3's have AFM ? When was it first introduced?

For example, I'd go look at this truck on my days off and would most likely buy it if it had adjustable pedals....

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/share/178394576

I'm sure it would be a nuisance and expensive to try and install the adjustable pedals add-on myself right?...

Does this one have AFM? Hard for me to tell...

All trucks with 5.3 will have AFM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even 2007-2009? Why do they get such worse mpg ratings then? The 4 speed vs 6 speed tranny?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/share/158840780

Here is an example of what I'm looking for! Has adjustable pedals, appearance package, center console, 5.3 crew cab, etc. but it has leather. Not sure if I'd do leather because it's always so sticky and less comfortable to me. I'd consider this one more if it weren't 500 miles away from me.

I will not buy a 5.3 AFM truck, so when I was looking, I searched for 6.2 trucks. Silverados are hard to find with the 6.2, but Sierra Denalis are a dime a dozen and they have the 6.2. Once you drive a 6.2 truck, you'll not want to "settle" for a 5.3 truck. The Denali is also going to have all the options - adjustable pedals, remote start, heated seats/mirrors/steering wheel, etc. I bought my Denali a few years ago with 70k miles on it, and it's been dead-nuts reliable.

You're also contradicting yourself, saying you want cloth seats but LT trim. LT trim, by definition, includes leather seats. Cloth-trimmed trucks are going to be LS (Chevy) or SLE (GMC), and will not be as nicely optioned out.

Archived