Oil type

Hey all. I've had my 17 Sierra 5.3 for about 3 weeks now, it has 3100 miles on it now. At what mileage did any of you start using full synthetic? Not looking for brand, just when to start using full synthetic. I know the book suggest synthetic blend so I would guess it doesn't matter but I'm not sure. This is my 1st GM product though I've sold Chevy and Cadillac for a little.

Aren't the GM dealerships using Dexos full synthetic only now?

And yes, I'm one of those guys that used his first "free" oil change at about 1500 miles...the service manager just shrugged...

To be honest with you, I have no idea. I just sold them, didn't really pay attention to what service did. I always use full synthetic in my vehicles but I usually wait like 10K miles. Never really see the benefit since I don't keep them long lol, but it makes me feel good about using full synthetic.

Right after first oil change @ 1000 miles

Get that crap out of there son!

I just did a brand new Acadia 2017 1100 miles.......Full of absolute nothing but but break in metal wear in oil and filter!

I don't care what you do after that SON just dump that crap now is all I care about!

Dexos is not full synthetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dexos is not a brand but a specification. Many brands (Mobil 1 and even AC Delco) offer a full synthetic Dexos-approved oil. Just had the oil changed on 2017 Yukon Denali 6.2l - used the AC Delco full synthetic 0w-20.

Dexos is not a brand but a specification. Many brands (Mobil 1 and even AC Delco) offer a full synthetic Dexos-approved oil. Just had the oil changed on 2017 Yukon Denali 6.2l - used the AC Delco full synthetic 0w-20.

Be careful, you'll soon have people telling you that Mobil isn't truly synthetic.

Be careful, you'll soon have people telling you that Mobil isn't truly synthetic.

The extended performance is

Btw, after owning my truck for awhile now, and dealing with it burning oil. I have no idea why anybody uses 0w-20.

The camaro and vette guys have the same exact engine but use 5w-30. I'm burning 2.5 quarts during a 6-7k mile interval using 0w-20. Not using that water anymore.

Btw, after owning my truck for awhile now, and dealing with it burning oil. I have no idea why anybody uses 0w-20.

The camaro and vette guys have the same exact engine but use 5w-30. I'm burning 2.5 quarts during a 6-7k mile interval using 0w-20. Not using that water anymore.

I use mobile 1 0W-20 in my 6.2 and my oil consumption is maybe a half quart in 6000 miles. And I have 119k miles on it.

I agree it's water for sure! I use/consume 1/8-1/4 qt at 10K mile oil changes and I am "OK" with that. There are other reasons than MPG's for using this type of viscosity oil.....I have no complaints other than I can't read the dipstick for a couple weeks after changing... I use the 0W-20 Mobil Extended

Swapped out the factory fill with Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0w-20 and new AC oil filter at a little over 500 miles.

you should have some miles now on yours and what is the verdict on the Mobil 1 EP 0W-20? Are you consuming oil and how many miles before you dump? Curious?

Mook at a little under 23K miles and no oil consumption issue. Let the OLM run down to under 10% remaining which has been between 7300-7700 miles.

The oil change light is programmed to come at 7,500 miles or 1 yr. It may come on sooner than 7,500 but never will it be longer. The dealer don't like it when customers go with longer oil changes. The business model expects the customer to come back for an oil change and give them the opportunity to up sell the customers with other services, e.g. injector cleaning, premature brake pad replacements, etc.

I have 42,000+ on my truck, change oil every 15,000 miles and I use 1/3 to 1/2 qt in 15,000 miles. Before you criticize realize I have done this for over 30 yrs using 100% Synthetic oil, not full synthetic but 100% synthetic. I see no reason to change sooner when there are synthetic oils out there that guarantee a minimum 15,000 miles service life. My 4th oil change will be at 45,000 miles, (5,000, 15,000, 30,000, 45,000, 60,000, 75,000 etc) I would go longer that's about 1 yrs miles.

Archived