Cheating neighbors

Mreteprm

So.., I have been in my house for 15 years ,and right next door is vacant lot that belonged to my cousin  I expressed my interest in purchasing it years ago  and she said she wasn’t going to sell it,it had sentimental value to her  but she would give me first dibs on it when she was ready to sell  .so being the sucker I am I took care of the property for 15 yrs and a couple of months ago she came to me and said she was ready to sell ., So I had it appraised  it came in at 3500.00 she said I could buy it for 10 grand I told her when she came back to earth and got reasonable to get ahold of me . In the mean time I checked with the other neighbor that was on the other side of this lot to see if they had any interest in the lot ,initially they didn’t  and then they came to me and said  if I was willing to split it we could each take half,I said sure ,but let the owner contact us so we wouldn’t seem so eager to buy and get it cheaper they agreed .., Well what do you know my neighbor went behind my back and purchased the lot for 5000.00  without me knowing and came to me and told  me I could still split it   And even though I was frickin livid that she wen t behind my back and did that I agreed .the next day I went to bank to get the money and I got home and my neighbor  had called and left an message stating that she changed her mind and she didn’t want to split it any more......... what do I do ?

This is one of those life lessons that you may or may not use in the future!  Your cousin's initial price needed to be respected and used as a starting point for negotiations.  Telling her to come back to earth helped your neighbor, not you.  Let your neighbor know that you are disappointed that things didn't work out but to keep you in mind should they decide to sell.   

Wow, that's a really shitty neighbor. I would definitely let them know how disappointed you are that they did this behind your back and were not honest with you.  Get it off your chest and then let it go and move on.

I see you are over in two rivers, why don't you call up some of those big farms in Kewaunee county and get them to spread some fertilizer on the property. ya know, to help the grass grow.

sorry for your bad luck, but welcome to the site anyway!

3 hours ago, Sierra Boy said:

I would send your cousin a bill for taking care of the lot for 15 years!

My neighbor goes on vacation and while he's away I paint his house. Can I charge him from something he didn't ask me to do?

Nope. People will generally live down to your worst expectations. It sucks but you do know which direction your cousins moral compass points now. 

Now having said that. Check with you layer. Some states would consider such a long time 'abandonment" and you may have a case for ownership. But don't guess. Check. 

I’d me more upset with your cousin. Too bad you approached the neighbor. I’m sure had you negotiated with your cousin, you could have gotten it for the 5gs or less? I guess that would depend on how you and cousin get along.
At least you don’t have to maintain it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see the communists have showed up.  Anyway, what is a valid contract?  Are you willing to spend money to enforce this contract between you and your neighbor?  Pray the Lord recompense them for their evil and maybe they'll reconsider when their dreams of putting in a giant pool or mini golf course fade away when they realize how much those will cost.

Archived