Exterior lighting- perimeter lights

And where is this rap relay located, I've looked in the under hood fuse/ relay box and can't find it. But I have figured out that there is a puddle lamp relay in the body control unit/module, which I don't know where it would be located in the truck. My truck is an SLT with front bucket seats and center console....if I can locate that, then I can plug into that since my truck did not come stock with the mirror mounted puddle lamps.

2 hours ago, Jsierra1500 said:

And where is this rap relay located, I've looked in the under hood fuse/ relay box and can't find it. But I have figured out that there is a puddle lamp relay in the body control unit/module, which I don't know where it would be located in the truck. My truck is an SLT with front bucket seats and center console....if I can locate that, then I can plug into that since my truck did not come stock with the mirror mounted puddle lamps.

It would be internal to the BCM. The BCM is located right above your knees when your sitting down in the drivers seat. It is behind the knee bolster.

After looking into this a little more. Your best bet is to wire a relay into the system off the IP Fuse block.

http://amzn.to/2jDJgON (these are waterproof but I can only find it in a pack of 5)

http://amzn.to/2jEUFy1 (not water proof if you decide to wire it in the car)

I found that gm in the early 2000's started using what I would call universal wire harnesses so that the same vehicle can have different options but all used the same harness, I found that out with my 2004 Colorado that was two wheel drive but the center dash where the T/C plugs into it was a wire plug of like 15 wires...TC doesn't need more the two wires...so I hope this truck might be the same wiring wise....

iirc don't your dome lights come on with the perimeter lighting? or do you cancel them out with the switch on the dash? you could wire in with the dome lights to activate your after market puddle lights. the dome light wire should be gray/black. 

3 hours ago, bgbdwlf2500 said:

I saw 2 reviews, are both of yours still working, Chris?

They are but I have only had them on about a month. I did make one minor modification. The clamp on the circuit board isn't sealed at all. So I siliconed it shut so the rain couldn't get to them. I am pleasantly surprised at how bright they are as well. I actually have them under the bumper of my truck so when I push the brake light they come on. I think I am going to change it so it's on only when the park lights are on. Lol

2 hours ago, carnau said:

I actually have these since my truck is a Chevrolet. http://amzn.to/2BjiWFe

Gotcha, I was thinking about getting the gmc ones but saw the reviews and was worried. I think I will hook mine to the reverse lights, that way they will come on when I hit the unlock button and then only in reverse.

5 minutes ago, bgbdwlf2500 said:

Gotcha, I was thinking about getting the gmc ones but saw the reviews and was worried. I think I will hook mine to the reverse lights, that way they will come on when I hit the unlock button and then only in reverse.

I bet they are getting bad reviews because the circuits are shorting to water. I mean the circuit boards are cheaply covered. But if you prevent water from getting to it I bet they will last a long time. I will post a picture of what I am talking about. I bought an extra set for my daughters car. I am gonna put her's in the door so I will not be sealing hers due to their won't be water as high as I am going to wire it.

Archived