Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Jsierra1500

Exterior lighting- perimeter lights

Recommended Posts

Hey all, new to the site and I am wondering how I can properly add in some small led light strips to the underside of my power tow mirrors that will come on when I unlock the doors, like when the perimeter lights come on.

The truck is a 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 1500...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't be hard. Tie into the Rap relay is how I would do it. I just put a set of these on my truck for fun and they look great. lol http://amzn.to/2jsJTe2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And where is this rap relay located, I've looked in the under hood fuse/ relay box and can't find it. But I have figured out that there is a puddle lamp relay in the body control unit/module, which I don't know where it would be located in the truck. My truck is an SLT with front bucket seats and center console....if I can locate that, then I can plug into that since my truck did not come stock with the mirror mounted puddle lamps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jsierra1500 said:

And where is this rap relay located, I've looked in the under hood fuse/ relay box and can't find it. But I have figured out that there is a puddle lamp relay in the body control unit/module, which I don't know where it would be located in the truck. My truck is an SLT with front bucket seats and center console....if I can locate that, then I can plug into that since my truck did not come stock with the mirror mounted puddle lamps.

It would be internal to the BCM. The BCM is located right above your knees when your sitting down in the drivers seat. It is behind the knee bolster.

 

After looking into this a little more. Your best bet is to wire a relay into the system off the IP Fuse block.

http://amzn.to/2jDJgON (these are waterproof but I can only find it in a pack of 5)

http://amzn.to/2jEUFy1 (not water proof if you decide to wire it in the car)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found that gm in the early 2000's started using what I would call universal wire harnesses so that the same vehicle can have different options but all used the same harness, I found that out with my 2004 Colorado that was two wheel drive but the center dash where the T/C plugs into it was a wire plug of like 15 wires...TC doesn't need more the two wires...so I hope this truck might be the same wiring wise....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

iirc don't your dome lights come on with the perimeter lighting? or do you cancel them out with the switch on the dash? you could wire in with the dome lights to activate your after market puddle lights. the dome light wire should be gray/black. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 12:19 PM, carnau said:

Wouldn't be hard. Tie into the Rap relay is how I would do it. I just put a set of these on my truck for fun and they look great. lol http://amzn.to/2jsJTe2

I saw 2 reviews, are both of yours still working, Chris?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bgbdwlf2500 said:

I saw 2 reviews, are both of yours still working, Chris?

They are but I have only had them on about a month. I did make one minor modification. The clamp on the circuit board isn't sealed at all. So I siliconed it shut so the rain couldn't get to them. I am pleasantly surprised at how bright they are as well. I actually have them under the bumper of my truck so when I push the brake light they come on. I think I am going to change it so it's on only when the park lights are on. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, carnau said:

I actually have these since my truck is a Chevrolet. http://amzn.to/2BjiWFe

Gotcha, I was thinking about getting the gmc ones but saw the reviews and was worried. I think I will hook mine to the reverse lights, that way they will come on when I hit the unlock button and then only in reverse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bgbdwlf2500 said:

Gotcha, I was thinking about getting the gmc ones but saw the reviews and was worried. I think I will hook mine to the reverse lights, that way they will come on when I hit the unlock button and then only in reverse.

I bet they are getting bad reviews because the circuits are shorting to water. I mean the circuit boards are cheaply covered. But if you prevent water from getting to it I bet they will last a long time. I will post a picture of what I am talking about. I bought an extra set for my daughters car. I am gonna put her's in the door so I will not be sealing hers due to their won't be water as high as I am going to wire it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.