Ford Drops First-Ever F-150 Diesel – Targets 30 MPG & Class-Leading Towing - Video, Images, Specs, Timing

Gorehamj

GM had a 4.5L diesel ready to go into the GMT900s ('07-13 1500s) years ago, but never produced it.  Now they run the risk of losing a significant chunk of market share if they don't respond quickly.  Their 2.8 baby Duramax is too small for a 1500--in my opinion, it is a little too small for the Colorado.  Why is the General reactive rather than proactive on the full-sized trucks?  Seems like they always wait to see what Furd does and then do a half-baked too-little-too-late response??  I sincerely hope they don't dust off their old 'lets cut 2 cylinders off a 5.3 V8' and then their 'lets turn this gas engine into a diesel' failed tricks from the bad old days again!

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:15 AM, MaverickZ71 said:

GM had a 4.5L diesel ready to go into the GMT900s ('07-13 1500s) years ago, but never produced it.  Now they run the risk of losing a significant chunk of market share if they don't respond quickly.  Their 2.8 baby Duramax is too small for a 1500--in my opinion, it is a little too small for the Colorado.  Why is the General reactive rather than proactive on the full-sized trucks?  Seems like they always wait to see what Furd does and then do a half-baked too-little-too-late response??  I sincerely hope they don't dust off their old 'lets cut 2 cylinders off a 5.3 V8' and then their 'lets turn this gas engine into a diesel' failed tricks from the bad old days again!

2.8 is great in the Colorado.  Needs more transmission (8 speed 8L60 if they ever made such a unit) and a touch more HP.  That to me is the only negative I've spotted in 14,000 miles.  Little guy makes the same torque as the 6.0!

Top trims only kills it. Even if it weren't out of budget, I have no desire to own more than a mid trim truck from any brand. Leather and all that fluff does nothing for me. Also, the massive extra up front cost and more expensive fuel means that it actually costs more per mile to operate than a 3.5 Ecoboost using EPA fuel economy numbers. Granted it's a fraction of a cent more but the diesel should offer massive savings somewhere for all that extra money you pay.We probably won't see anything from GM anytime soon. They make good pickups but they don't innovate.I'm frankly shocked that they got the ZR2 past the idiots that run the place. 

For my money I'd prefer a big 'ole gas burner V8... 6.2 Chevy or Ford V8 beats this any day IMO....  I don't get why people shell out big bucks for any diesel 1/2 ton or even the little Colorado's and Canyon's with the Baby Dmaxes. For the premium you pay for the power plants, the small increase in MPG is offset by the premium you pay for the diesel fuel... I just don't see the upside to light duty diesel trucks besides the macho factor of saying you've got a diesel truck over beers with your buddies.

16 hours ago, bwlaqua said:

GM just needs to dust off the 4.5L dmax thats sittin on the shelf. Throw that in the 1500s and presto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably designed prior to all the emissions crap. It wouldn't be so simple. 

Archived