In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2yrs in, rust.

8 minutes ago, sdeeter19555 said:

Newer assemblies are stainless cables...have put a lot of miles on them in the rust belt, never had one not release.

Steve
2012 2500hd

Wonder when they changed.   My dad had a 05-06'ish escalade he had to cut for a customer, and same for a co workers Envoy of the same era.  

I still won't believe it just because of stainless cables.   Nothing escapes this nasty shit around here without preventative maint! ? 

We had engineers come through a yr or so ago and said they made a change in hardware because they figured out they could save so many millions a yr.   great, they'll rust even faster.   We already see nuts and bolts that are rotted beyond a socket head after just a yr.  

• 3 weeks later...

I use Ziebart. I'm not sure how many stores they have across the country, but I know that they're definitely in places other than NY. It's a rubberized film that actually is so thick, it makes it hard to take parts off of cars (tried to replace an EVAP piece by the gas tank on my dads impala and it took forever to get off) There's comes with a warranty depending on the year/mileage of the vehicle, and you can take it back once a year to get the underbody inspected and resprayed for any parts that may have worn off, cracked, etc. In addition, they put something in the doors to prevent rust, as well as they spray something on the bottom of each door, and all through the engine bay as well. Pretty sweet deal, and like I said, yearly check ups for free, and a warranty.... can't beat it!

I just got my truck undercoated by linex and picked it this afternoon. After recently moving up to Va from Florida, the brine they use up here had me extremely nervous. I’ll try and post pics soon. It’s freezing out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought and 2500HD and will be undercoating it come spring (want to wait for the salt to get off the roads first). I have previously used fluid film on the last truck and that was SPOTLESS after 4 winters in northern NH were they use a lot of salt. Stuff really works well if applied often and thick, I will be doing that on the new truck as well. Hoping I dont get much rust between now and then. 

That isn't even bad. In Ontario, Canada most 2017's have zero wax left on the frame and are full rust. Looking at a 2017 Dmax with 17,000km for a week now and it has no Nox Rust left anywhere on the outside of the frame, already looks like my 2007. My 15 half ton has factory fresh frame but not winter driven and only 20,000km. I would happily pay $2,500 for a powdercoated frame and bottom half of the truck. These days they rot in half before the powertrain is broken in.  

2 hours ago, 10SierraA.T. said:

That isn't even bad. In Ontario, Canada most 2017's have zero wax left on the frame and are full rust. Looking at a 2017 Dmax with 17,000km for a week now and it has no Nox Rust left anywhere on the outside of the frame, already looks like my 2007. My 15 half ton has factory fresh frame but not winter driven and only 20,000km. I would happily pay $2,500 for a powdercoated frame and bottom half of the truck. These days they rot in half before the powertrain is broken in.  

Do post us up some pictures or tell me where I can drive to see one of these one of these rotted in half trucks...

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎20 at 4:33 PM, redwngr said:

Do post us up some pictures or tell me where I can drive to see one of these one of these rotted in half trucks...

I can get some photos of our 05 Dmax with a Fred Flinstone edition floor in it. We had to put a chunk of plate steel over the floor so your foot didn't fall through the floor and hit the driveshaft. It's had 2 sets of bolt on rocker panels and cab corners. Ontario is a savage and these vehicles get thinner and thinner frames and steel each year. Not saying they will rot in Nevada. Just saying in Ontario, you will likely dump your vehicle over rust long before the powertrain dies in many cases. I have two prime examples in my yard right now. They just don't use thick enough steel, its all about EPA obligations. If it is really important to you, I can show you what an Ontario truck looks like after 10 years and 500,000km. 

Edited by 10SierraA.T.

I've seen lots an lots of rotted out 10 year old trucks.

None before the powertrain was broke in, as you are claiming.

And rarely is the problem frame rot.

Usually it's the body rotted off as you've described, rather than frame problems.

Floor and body problems and is not because of frame coating either. 

Point being the frame are lasting as long as the rest of the chassis.  Lots of trucks get rotted box taken off for a flat deck.  Sometimes cabs get replaced.  Often cab corners etc get done.

But the frame and it's coating isn't the typical cause of these vehicles being junked out.

At least in the sw Ont salt belt where I am.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I had my Silverado bed and undercoating done last week by Line-X. They did an awesome job. Cost for bedliner and undercoat was around $1100.

Touchups every 2 years for $50. Hopefully it will help make this baby last!

IMG_20180531_163927533_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180531_175116862_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180531_175105961_HDR.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I use Ziebart. I'm not sure how many stores they have across the country, but I know that they're definitely in places other than NY. It's a rubberized film that actually is so thick, it makes it hard to take parts off of cars (tried to replace an EVAP piece by the gas tank on my dads impala and it took forever to get off) There's comes with a warranty depending on the year/mileage of the vehicle, and you can take it back once a year to get the underbody inspected and resprayed for any parts that may have worn off, cracked, etc. In addition, they put something in the doors to prevent rust, as well as they spray something on the bottom of each door, and all through the engine bay as well. Pretty sweet deal, and like I said, yearly check ups for free, and a warranty.... can't beat it!
I use zeibart here in Michigan as well. Just had my 2018 done. They spray a clear poly find on all inside steel service from glass down. Box fenders doors. And undercoat the bottom.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2018 at 5:16 PM, sdeeter19555 said:

Newer assemblies are stainless cables...have put a lot of miles on them in the rust belt, never had one not release.

Steve
2012 2500hd

Salt is only a part of my problem.  Driving on gravel roads for a few miles every time the pickup goes anywhere compounds the issue in my case.  While the cable may not bind up, having several inches of dirt and gravel that has turned to concrete on that spare is another.  So, like others, my spare resides in the bed.  And getting pounded by rocks and such on those gravel roads, the underside is not going to stay all nice and factory pretty.  I just try to do a good spray off underneath from time to time.  

Oh, just did my annual oil change on my 2500.  Put all of 4100 miles on it since June of 2017.  OLM said still had 45% left.  Ran on E85 for a majority of the last 12 months.

• Like 1

There is another thread on here about the wax coating.  One can use AMSOIL's HD Metal Protector to undercoat the truck to help keep the rust away.  An annual reapply would be needed and 2 cans should do the entire underneath.  3 cans if you spray a lot into the open holes in the frame and such.