Horsepower arguments

Been retired for awhile now and remember growing up in the late 60's during the muscle car wars. Anybody else in that category?

My overall point is I am surprised how many complaints there are about the power these engines put out.

Take the 5.3 for example: 355 HP from 325 cubic inches. That's 1.1 hp/cube! That's pretty darn good.

Back in the old days 1 HP per cubic inch was the Holy Grail for performance engines and took some serious work to get there.

My 2015 with the 5.3 (6 speed) has great acceleration and very good mileage.

I guess it's all in what your used to.

Any and all comments or insults are welcome.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was born in the late ‘70s when Corvettes were around 200hp and now some people think a truck needs 500hp to tow a lawn mower.  My first truck was a ‘84 GMC 4x4 with a 250 straight six. Now that was an underpowered turd at 120 hp. Of course, it got swapped out for a 350. 

17 minutes ago, HoosierZ said:

I was born in the late ‘70s when Corvettes were around 200hp and now some people think a truck needs 500hp to tow a lawn mower.  My first truck was a ‘84 GMC 4x4 with a 250 straight six. Now that was an underpowered turd at 120 hp. Of course, it got swapped out for a 350. 

Good examples. My point exactly.

I have fond memories of the muscle cars I’ve owned from the 60s-90s. Wish I kept a few for sure, on the looks alone. The non muscle cars I own today will out perform most of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My smaller head wanted me to buy the 6.2 to say I had the power. Luckily my big head decided to go with the 5.3 with the tow package. All the power I'll ever need. Very happy with it.

13 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I have fond memories of the muscle cars I’ve owned from the 60s-90s. Wish I kept a few for sure, on the looks alone. The non muscle cars I own today will out perform most of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with that

10 minutes ago, ARCH89 said:

My smaller head wanted me to buy the 6.2 to say I had the power. Luckily my big head decided to go with the 5.3 with the tow package. All the power I'll ever need. Very happy with it.

LOL

In the mid 70's I built a 66 Ford Custom 400 flywheel horse 352 FE. It was loud, thirsty, unrefined and deadly quick. Lots of gear, tire, converter and a locker. 8 mpg highway.  I miss that car. It was purdy. :P Money Pit. 

Later that decade I bought a 76 Stingray. L48. Cam, manifold, headers (Hooker Lake Show Pipes) some head work and a Holley. Not quick but fast. 160 mph+. More refined and got 22 mph highway. Long legged money pit. 

Late 90's a 5.0 Mustang and Tremic 5 speed. 25 mpg. Quicker and faster than either of the above and dead stock. Easy on the wallet. 

Current truck is a little bitty 262 cid motor at over  a horse a cube. More refined than an Olds 88 of the 60's. 26 mpg. Lighter than the Corvette. Quick enough to put the Vette on a trailer. Fill the tank, change the oil and enjoy. Paid for. 

don't feel so old. :)

I just turned 45 and feel ancient lately.

I built and destroyed enough sbc to love my 1996 305 vortec forever.

I am convinced that is the classic 1hp per cubic inch almost right out of the box.. did not need much to go even further.

an oddity today is horsepower numbers itself.

my 305 with 5 speed from 1996 is bone stock, and my dads 2016 gets the first 100 yards or so.

I sail by with a noise unheard of by third gear.

230hp?

yeah. right.

I still have gigglers to this day who do not expect it.

I don't even think of the hp anymore. If dialed in to a fast ramp and the big numbers, that is big engine..but most times we all get fooled.

ya know I just changed a map sensor that triggered no codes, simply pegged the timing to 38 degrees at partial throttle and stayed there.

just like old sbc in a way.. the curve doesn't do much.

the modern stuff needs to be dialed in to big to be big.. the old engines are all there whether we want them to be or not.

hp?

it is the torque that digs the tires in. Just gotta be allowed to have it.

i think my 505 pontiac is right around 550 hp, so not far off of a modern engine in that regard.  decent drivability, too, but still well short of my 6.0 2500hd.  

but the goat is 3700 lbs, the truck is 6500. the truck runs fine, but it isn't fast by any stretch.  the goat will tear your head off.

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I can't even remember 45. I am happy 4 U. 

I would love to be 45 again. My daughter turns 45 this year.

Finally got to drive a GMC with the 4.3 (just window shopping while the boss was in the mall). Have to agree it's an impressive motor. It would spank anything from the 80's or 90's. 

I find it kinda amusing.

I wouldn't mind if my truck had 500hp. But I don't need it.

Yes, I consider my '13 with 315hp very sufficient.

All the talk about more hp is only about "knowing". If someone is asking what kind of truck they drive, they can answer (cool and with a slight trace of boredom): "....Chevy....V8.....you know....".

And his buddy "knows".

:rolleyes:

so long

j-ten-ner

I bought a brand new V6 short bed 5 speed Silverado in 91 for $10300 out the door. That was the weakest truck I have ever had. if there were any incline at all you had to down shift to maintain 55-60 MPH. I traded it for a 94 Exteneded cab Silverado Z71 with the 350 and it had 195 HP. I never thought it needed more HP. It was a good truck. 195 HP but probably 350 Ft. Lbs of torque. I have traded several more times, okay, lots of times since then. I am very happy with my current truck. It has plenty of power, rides nicely, the AC works and it gets good gas mileage. If I want or feel the need for more power, I get the 70 vette out with the cammed LS6 and 5 speed. It makes lots of noise, will fry the tires, has no AC, a radio you cant hear with the top down. But man is it fun to drive and people usually have nice compliments about it!!

Just last week a 88-98 Chevy Reg Cab Short Bed Stepside was getting on my nerves while on the expressway.   Waayyyyyy too loud of an exhaust and guy enjoyed blipping the gas.   Finally got fed up and gassed my truck.   Guy floorboarded it but he let off once I got a 8+ truck length lead.  No comparison between 420 and 200-250 Horsepower.  I had a regular cab 91 GMC stepside 350 with headers, CompuCam, true duals, Hypertech Chip and it was pretty good back then.  Now a V6 Camry or 2.0L Turbo Accord would blow it off the road with ease.

Archived