Additional bed lighting

I have the perimeter bed lighting option in my 2015. I was wondering if I can somehow tap into that wiring and add an led strip on the inside of my Diamondback truck cover. I’d like some sort of quick disconnect so I can still remove and replace the cover

As long as you're only adding additional LED lighting, I would think you'd be completely fine.  The addition of more LEDs would be pretty minimal and not be anywhere close exceeding the capacity of the fuse for the cargo lighting or the capacity for the factory wiring.

And making it quick disconnect so you can remove the cover would be the way to go for sure.

16 hours ago, jwc10400 said:

I guess what I’m asking is can I add more lighting in the bed by splicing into the existing perimeter bed lighting?

Absolutely.

I already had the factory bed lights but there were only 2 near the rear (GM figures the cargo light will fill the front of the bed).  I have a tonneau cover and wanted to add more lights but stay stock so I bought another factory kit off ebay and spliced 2 additional lights into the ones near the rear of the bed.  I now have 4 factory bed lights in use for over 2 years without any problems.

5 hours ago, cdh7917 said:

As long as you're only adding additional LED lighting, I would think you'd be completely fine.  The addition of more LEDs would be pretty minimal and not be anywhere close exceeding the capacity of the fuse for the cargo lighting or the capacity for the factory wiring.

And making it quick disconnect so you can remove the cover would be the way to go for sure.

Any idea where I can get a few connectors and what type?

If you're interested in keeping the connections sealed, the Deutsch Connectors work good for that.  They're easy to put together too.

https://www.amazon.com/Deutsch-2-Pin-Connector-Housing-Terminals/dp/B0166WDCVO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1525289972&sr=8-3&keywords=deutsch+connector

Otherwise, you can search on Amazon for other 2 pin connectors and find plenty of options to choose from.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jwc10400 said:

Fantastic. I installed the original bed lighting  myself. From what I remember there was a way to snap them in under the bed rail. How did you attach them? Also what sort of connectors did you use ?

The factory lights come with self-tapping screws.  I just held them up where I wanted them and drove them in with a cordless drill.

I didn't use any connectors for the splice.  I just cut into the existing wires right before they enter the existing lights, soldered the splices, and heat-shrink tubing.  No problems at all!

Edited by sk