Homer1952

2018 Acadia Transmission Manual Range select

Question

I've a 2018 GMC Acadia.  It is a FWD 3.6L/6T70.  Recently, I've not been able to move the shift lever to Low ranges.  It was intermittent at first & today I was not able to shift it into low range at all.

Wondering: if anyone else has experienced this?, Fix?, Bulletin?   This is a potential safety issue.

Thanx Bob

3 answers to this question

A 2018 is still under warranty unless you managed to mile out in under a year. 

Not sure how this could be safety issue though. Can't recall any incident that I have run into where manually shift to low was ever called for. It's only been near 45 years driving though, perhaps it has not had time to pop up yet. 

Low range is a Federal requirement.  NHTSA would view this as a safety issue.  I use it frequently (when it works).  Apparently you haven't been down Mt. Haleakala or Mt. Washington. Low range is a must there. Guess you need to drive more than just 45 years.  Thanx for the helpful answer.

Apparently there is a bulletin out on the shifter.  The dealer has my car now & he tells me the shifter is broken in two areas. The shifter is either being redesigned or is already.  But he has no idea how long it will be to get a new shifter assembly .  Could be weeks as it is back ordered.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
      10-9-2018

U.S. News & World Report is run by and staffed by colleagues of GM-Trucks.com. Each month they scour the best deals in the country to list out the most notable. This month, GM products earned spots on two of their lists. The 2018 Acadia is on both the 7 Best Cars to Buy Now and also October's Best New Car Deals. U.S. News Autos reports that GM is offering $4,000 cash back on that popular model. The 2018 Chevy Tahoe appears on the second list for its special offer of $3,000 cash back if buyers finance through GM.

• By Michael G
      I'm very frustrated about how GM denied an extended warranty coverage case on a well known production issue of their 2008 GMC Acadia (and many other models, see list and bulletin). Up until now I was very happy with my car and even considered upgrading soon but the way GM handled and communicated my case is careless and completely unacceptable.

On Aug 6, while literally on the way to the airport for my family vacation to Europe, the check engine light came on and we had to take the airport shuttle instead. After returning in September I had the car towed to the dealer who diagnosed a faulty 35R transmission clutch wave plate. A quick internet search turned up service bulletin #14404 (https://gm.oemdtc.com/TSB/SB-10057962-6560.pdf) describing this issue as a common and well known defect in many early models (including mine), as a matter of fact grave enough to extend the warranty to 10 years and 120,000 miles. I called GM customer engagment who bluntly denied the warranty because it had expired 2 weeks prior the diagnose. This is upsetting because the mileage on my Acadia is way below 120,000, the problem originated long before the expiration date and there wasn't any communication that would have notified me of that issue or triggered a sense of urgency to bring in the car before going on vacation.

I strongly believe that it is GM's responsibility to rectify this well known issue under the extended warranty conditions given the above described circumstances. I'm happy to provide further evidence (plane tickets, diagnosis report) and look forward to your reply and a resolution to my problem within the next 3 days.
    • By CodyB
      Seen alot of posts like this but none that quite answer my question. I have a 2018 Sierra 1500 Denali with the 6.2. I am thinking about installing an electric exhaust cut out before the muffler. (For arguments sake let's say my best friend is the warranty manager at my local dealership so I am not concerned about warranty mumbo) 

What I'd like to know is if I am going to run into any check engine light or any other messages popping up that she will pissed at me about it. 

I noticed alot of people with '14s and '15s not having issues with them but I feel like this 2018 has so many sensors and is so touchy that I'm hoping to hear from someone on here with the same year that has done it or knows of someone who has? 

I dont have any oxygen sensors back that far but is this engine computer smart enough to realize there is no backpressure from the muffler or something like that.

I may just be being paranoid but really dont want to have to look at an idiot light over it. Wouldn't be worth it..or would it

Any logical input would be very appreciated!
    • By Jay's Denali
      Hey guys so I did a 2019 Frontend Conversion to my 2015 Denali, with the Ram-Air style hood..... But trying to find a wire harness that converts from 2015 to the new lights, well that's easier said then done. So I was given this site by a friend that did this conversion to his truck.... I highly recommend this site, as they use GM plugs & the wires are all as good or better than stock..... Nothing wrong with that in my book. Check them out, they have E-mail if u have any questions & in my experience they get back to u in like an hour or less...... These harness are truly "Plug & Play". No cutting any wires, no guess work, all that is done for u.... They have the schematics for all the years & work off of them to make sure everything is correct.... Plus they check everyone before shipment..... Pic of my Denali, before & after. Their website also include.     

https://www.gen5diy.com/collections/14-18-sierra-p-p-harnesses
    • By JMichael Kues
      I recently bought a new 2018 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LTZ with the 6.2 liter & 8 speed transmission. I bought the truck in Idaho (great deal) and drove it home to California. Since then I've only put a few hundred more miles on it, 1181 total miles to be precise. Yesterday the tranny started shifting really hard & clunking on downshifts. Today, when I put the truck into drive it barely moves! Obviously, the transmission is slipping as the engine revs but the truck doesn't really move much! Any info on if the truck can still be returned at this point or am I stuck rebuilding a brand new tranny? Doesn't seem right to have to go through this so soon! I hope GM will either let me return the truck completely or give me a brand new transmission. Any insight on what may happen would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!