Brake job requires wheel hub assembly?

Time for a brake job on my '09 Silverado, approx 73K miles.  [Factory disc brakes in front and drums in rear.]  Dealer is proposing new wheel hub assemblies on both front sides at the same time as replacing the front pads and possibly rotors, saying it's easier to do this way, and these wheel hub assemblies don't last much longer anyway.  

This is new to me--on my previous vehicles, you just repacked the front wheel bearings when you did a front brake job.  Now you have to replace a whole assembly?  

Does this sound right?  Or is the dealer trying to bank a little extra $ from me?

Which is better for the wheel hub assembly--AC Delco, Timken, or Moog?

Likewise, preference for brake pads/rotors/shoes?  AC Delco, EBC, Hawk, other?  Looking for smooth quiet performance, maybe a little better than stock; not a racer.  

The hubs are one piece these days, no more bearings and races.  GM OE and AC Delco hubs are made by Timkin.  The originals usually make it to 125K give or take.  I had to replace one just before 120K.

As for pad and rotors and such, I like GM OE or AC Delco Professional.  

We would never recommend replacing hub assemblies as maintenance items.    Unless they have play, make noise, or the ABS sensor is shot, there's no need to replace them.  

Edited by qwank
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2018 at 8:35 PM, qwank said:

We would never recommend replacing hub assemblies as maintenance items.    Unless they have play, make noise, or the ABS sensor is shot, there's no need to replace them.  

That's why I like this forum.  Helps to keep those of us who aren't ASE certified from spending any unnecessary $!  Thanks to all who responded

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 1