Canyon/Colorado Owners: Thoughts and opinions

I'm looking into replacing my aging 2002 Silverado Z71 with a new Canyon or Colorado, I'm eyeballing two at my local dealership that come with 15% cashback plus a few discounts. Options-wise they're very similar, one an extended cab Colorado Redline and the other a crew cab short box Canyon, 4x4s and V6s both.

I've taken them for a test drive, and really liked how they drove-I found them both really comfortable, and they were (At least from my perspective) really pleasant to drive on the highway and handled great to drive around. But for those that have had one for a while, how are they to live with? I've seen issues with the 8-speed transmissions, but aside from that are there any known problems that are popping up with these trucks? 

Stay away from the eight speed unless you like spending time at the dealer and driving a loaner. Horrible transmission that is nothing but a headache, and this is coming from the transmission guy at a GMC Buick dealership.Do as you wish, just trying to help.

I LOVE my '17 Canyon crew cab short box. It's only got 11k miles, but the V6 with the 8 speed transmission has performed flawlessly for me. Seems like a great match and I've had zero complaints. The longer I own it, the more I enjoy it. I also came from 1/2 ton trucks so I was concerned these wouldn't feel enough like a serious truck, but they really do feel like they are just slightly smaller and more sporty handling. Depends on your needs but in my book it's a home run!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

My 2017 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab has been my favorite truck to date. I've always had full size trucks. 2002 Silverado, 2011 Ford F150, 2014 GMC Sierra...

I have no issues with the 8 speed transmission. GM has sold thousands of these things, so don't let a handful of people on the internet sway your decision. The loudest people are the people with issues, which are a slim amount of total buyers.

I just rolled over 19,000 miles in my truck. Love it. No issues to complain about.

I bought one of the first 2015 Colorados in my area. Purchased it new the day after Thanksgiving in 2014, and just traded it in about 2 weeks ago on a 2018 GMC Sierra All Terrain.

The Colorado I owned was a CC Short Box Z71 with the 3.6 LFX. In the time that I owned it, my out of pocket for anything other than normal maintenance was $0. I loved the truck, and I'm not sure that moving up to the full sized Sierra was the right decision, but heavy incentives convinced me to do so. I strongly recommend the Colorado to anyone looking for a mid-sized truck. Mine was fun to drive, very reliable and a comfortable ride on the highway.

• 3 months later...

I have had mine for 4,000 miles. Transmission just  started the shuddering. Have an appointment scheduled. They said it will be a week to fix it. Other than that, one thing I have noticed is on the highway it seems to get blown around quit a bit. Definitely not as stable as the silverado I had. Love the way it drives in town. easy to get into tight spaces. Engine does not have much torque, so if you plan on pulling something regularly you might want to stick with a bigger truck. It will pull, but it has to scream to do it. It is a small engine so that is to be expected.

• 2 weeks later...

These trucks with 6 and 8 speed have what is called "adaptive learning"  The trans controller learns your driving style over a 500 mile period and make adjustments accordingly.  Don't like how it shifts disconnect the batt for 30 min and start over.

Some don't like the throttle by wire feeling.  The work around is installing a "Pedal Commander" or a Trifecta Tune.  The LGZ/8L45 with Trifecta tune runs really nice.

Several owners have used a product called "Shutter Fix", added to the trans.  Those that have do not get the TQ shutter, coincidence or random???  It may work.

• 3 months later...

The trans problems are basically not fixable, but the effects are less profound in some vehicles and very bad in others. It also seems you have a 1 in 5 chance of getting a bad one. Also, in some situations, the trans problems can be bypassed by using the "L" mode on the shifting handle ("M" on 6-speed) and controlling the transmission with the handle +/- buttons. Otherwise, I wish I had push-button start versus key, dual-zone climate control versus single zone, wider and more comfortable front seating (the current ones are absolutely not made made for larger persons), a "shark-fin" antenna instead of the mast antenna that gets damaged in car washes, a steel front bumper and a front air dam that doesn't crash on almost every parking stop. And if you get a 4x4, be VERY careful with changes !! Read the manual !! Transfer case damage can happen really fast and easily (voice of experience talking). The 4x4 knob mounted on the dash left side is awkward, I'd like it better on the center console. The 18" wheels get a lot of looks, and in my opinion the 20's look even better. If you tow, keep it below 5k. Below that the truck handles it with no problem, above that the vehicle starts working very hard and mpg numbers drop very low. I really like how easy it is to fit inside the garage, how easily it parks into smaller spaces, much better than our old Sierra, which sometimes took 2-3 parking attempts to get it to fit a spot. Drives almost like a car, goes way too fast way to easy, and my best highway mileage is recorded at 31 mpg over a 50 mile stretch (yes, I'm being honest, I can send a picture if you doubt). I also find it runs OK on 87 gas, but using when 91/93 I can really feel an overall improvement in power and response. The electric steering is a little soft, not nearly as positive as in our Honda Accord. I could say a lot more, but I HIGHLY recommend renting one for a few days, really get to know it for yourself, before you commit to purchase.