Thinking out loud! Silverado vs Canyon or Colorado?

fishrman

Question

I have a very nicely equipped 2017 Chev. Silverado z71 Quad Cab. Only have 6500 miles on it and bought it as a kind of retirement gift for myself. I use it for various things but mostly to go fishin or huntin in and tow my 18 foot Basstracker. The issue I am having is backing my boat back into the garage with it. I live in town on an alley and it is very tight trying to get the proper angle backing into the garage, especially if the neighbor is parked on the other side of the alley. I am wondering how much I might be gaining in maneuverability by trading it in for a smaller truck? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks for any help.

On 10/28/2020 at 9:47 PM, flyingfool said:

i found the windows too small on the new colorado, and no shoulder room, roof is too low for me. i'de rather buy a base model silverado with a small engine than mess with a colorado

How tall are you 7 foot? I am 6'5 275lbs with broad shoulders and am no where close to brushing my head on the roof of my dads Canyon. It has 1 inch less of head room than my Silverado according to GM (2014 so same body style of the OP's truck). It is skinnier but I am not at all hurting for room even after 4+ hours in the drivers seat, I actually prefer driving his than mine. I have a little more room to spread out in mine (I have the folding bench in the LT) but leg room, head room and shoulder room is not lacking. My dad is 6'4 and we sit side by side without touching just fine, the console is fairly wide with the arm rest. The seats have broken in and are pretty comfortable, overall I give the edge to my truck but would be very happy living with the smaller Canyon and will do so next go around. 

OP, the best you can do is go sit in one and see. The Crew Cab short bed Colorado will have 15 inches of less wheelbase and 18 inches of less length which is pretty significant. It will still be about 13 inches longer in wheel base and 22 inches longer in length than the grand cherokee but will still be a pretty significant step in terms of maneuverability compared to your current truck. Have to buy what works and makes you happy, so go test one and if you have the means do it, pay attention to comfort as some have issues but most do not but that is unique to each person. 

Tyler

36 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

How tall are you 7 foot? I am 6'5 275lbs with broad shoulders and am no where close to brushing my head on the roof of my dads Canyon. It has 1 inch less of head room than my Silverado according to GM (2014 so same body style of the OP's truck). It is skinnier but I am not at all hurting for room even after 4+ hours in the drivers seat, I actually prefer driving his than mine. I have a little more room to spread out in mine (I have the folding bench in the LT) but leg room, head room and shoulder room is not lacking. My dad is 6'4 and we sit side by side without touching just fine, the console is fairly wide with the arm rest. The seats have broken in and are pretty comfortable, overall I give the edge to my truck but would be very happy living with the smaller Canyon and will do so next go around. 

OP, the best you can do is go sit in one and see. The Crew Cab short bed Colorado will have 15 inches of less wheelbase and 18 inches of less length which is pretty significant. It will still be about 13 inches longer in wheel base and 22 inches longer in length than the grand cherokee but will still be a pretty significant step in terms of maneuverability compared to your current truck. Have to buy what works and makes you happy, so go test one and if you have the means do it, pay attention to comfort as some have issues but most do not but that is unique to each person. 

Tyler

it's build for the shorter Latino market IMO, it feels closterphobic to me, i'm 6'2: 185 lbs tall torso.  I cant stand the interior.  i like head room, coming from a old K5,  i see full size Land ROvers and MBZ G-wagons and I wish we had that kinda headroom

Edited by flyingfool

it's build for the shorter Latino market IMO, it feels closterphobic to me, i'm 6'2: 185 lbs tall torso.  I cant stand the interior.  i like head room, coming from a old K5,  i see full size Land ROvers and MBZ G-wagons and I wish we had that kinda headroom

Dunno about the ethnicity part but, yeah def with you on feeling cramped. I took a $3k hit just to dump mine for model year older Silverado with 30k more miles. The 2017 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 was the worst truck I ever owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, not sure what to make of this. I traded a 2018 Jeep Cherokee (Not the Grand Cherokee) for my 2021 GMC Canyon Denali Crew Cab. The reason we got rid of the Cherokee is two fold, 1) it sat lower than we wanted and 2) the passenger side lacked a bit of room in the leg area. 

I am 6'1" tall and weigh 300#  Sadly, my legs are not in tune with my torso otherwise I would be closer to 6'5". 

The room in the Canyon is perfectly fine for me in either of the front seats. As for the rear seat, well, I don't care but,  it is okay. 

Our other car is a 2011 F-150 SuperCab. 

From my point of view I feel the room in both trucks is perfectly fine. Very comfortable. And no sense of being claustrophobic. 

Living in the mountains of Colorado, every trip is a drive. While there is a small grocery store in our little town, the bigger grocery store is an hour away, one way. 

And, no, I am not Latino. And I am obviously not of a smaller stature.