Phone mount?

• 1 month later...

I have the proclip on the left side of the console. I bought a ball socket adapter and have an Anker wireless charging cradle on it. I just drop my phone on it and go. It's right by my leg, doesn't move, no drill, it's perfect.

Side note on the pro clip. I was leary of spending that much on a piece of plastic, but went for it.  It just didn't seem to fit, I emailed them, they sent me a new one with an adjustment to one of the tabs. So, customer service is great. I would buy another in a heartbeat. 

• 4 months later...
On 12/29/2018 at 9:03 AM, CheezyDeezy said:

I have the proclip on the left side of the console. I bought a ball socket adapter and have an Anker wireless charging cradle on it. I just drop my phone on it and go. It's right by my leg, doesn't move, no drill, it's perfect.

Side note on the pro clip. I was leary of spending that much on a piece of plastic, but went for it.  It just didn't seem to fit, I emailed them, they sent me a new one with an adjustment to one of the tabs. So, customer service is great. I would buy another in a heartbeat. 

do you have any pics of this?

On 8/26/2018 at 10:33 PM, Korvete said:

I have the proclip.  They are pricey but well worth it.

https://www.proclipusa.com/product/834963-proclip-console-mount-left

This is the base:

image.png.d4fe69576ec16826f02dc14d76d2f9f3.png

This is the phone mount that screws into the base:

I use this one as well.  Really no good places to put a phone holder in the truck.  For most driving, it is fine in this location.   For long hauls, I don't like it there because I like to rest my leg against that spot.

Any other place in the truck either covers up vents, buttons, dials or it sits up for the rest of the world to see!

I am really confused why many of you have these.  I am seeing a lot of center console trucks, where there is the rubber mat right in front of the USB ports.  THAT IS YOUR CELL PHONE HOLDER.  Hook in your USB, set phone there, done.  If you have that, you have Android Auto / CarPlay, so a cell holder where you can see your phone is totally pointless.

8 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

I am really confused why many of you have these.  I am seeing a lot of center console trucks, where there is the rubber mat right in front of the USB ports.  THAT IS YOUR CELL PHONE HOLDER.  Hook in your USB, set phone there, done.  If you have that, you have Android Auto / CarPlay, so a cell holder where you can see your phone is totally pointless.

.. I understand why many members here would want to use a phone holder with a dedicated charger.. the downstream Android Auto USB ports are great for data connectivity but fall far short for charging capability. These USB 2.0 ports spec is 5VDC/0.5A -barely enough to trickle charge a modern smart phone.. couple that with the power demands of GPS and audio streaming and you result in a negative charge rate. A dedicated Qi wireless charger can provide 10W of power or a Qualcomm standard charger can provide fast charge at rated 5,9,12 and even 20VDC bringing charge times measured in hours to minutes.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to share my cheap cell phone mount. I have a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali with the removable / relocatable cup holders. The face of the cup holder assembly is smooth and is a good place to mount a suction cup phone holder base like the one I bought from Amazon for a whopping $7.99. And the surprise is that the mount adjusts for height/length and tilt/angle. Seems very stable and holds tight. Best $8 I've spent in a long time.

Link to mount

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F462SXM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_8537.JPG

IMG_8539.JPG

61RyyQf26FL._SL1000_.jpg

• Like 2

I am using a clone of this -

https://www.amazon.com/KNGUVTH-Universal-Adjustable-Cup-Holder-Compatible/dp/B07TMB3HLZ/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3ICY397A0P7X2&keywords=cup+holder+phone+mount&qid=1569271975&s=wireless&sprefix=cup+ho%2Cmobile%2C156&sr=1-7

Many available.  Flexible with regards to size of device it can hold, easy in/easy out, plus options to change what accessory goes on the gooseneck if you need something other than the cell phone holder.  And reasonably priced.

Installed -

spacer.png

4 hours ago, captadamnj said:

I am using a clone of this -

https://www.amazon.com/KNGUVTH-Universal-Adjustable-Cup-Holder-Compatible/dp/B07TMB3HLZ/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3ICY397A0P7X2&keywords=cup+holder+phone+mount&qid=1569271975&s=wireless&sprefix=cup+ho%2Cmobile%2C156&sr=1-7

Many available.  Flexible with regards to size of device it can hold, easy in/easy out, plus options to change what accessory goes on the gooseneck if you need something other than the cell phone holder.  And reasonably priced.

Installed -

spacer.png

I had one similar to that, but it fell apart after 2 years.  Besides, I like having the second cupholder for whoever is in the truck with me, or for my fries in one and drink in the other.

@Vulcan762 , I may try your idea, been looking for over a year for one in my '18 truck.  Ran with @18Midnight's idea for a while, but I have started bringing CDs with me, from time to time. 

For those with a cubbie/pocket in the dash, like @Vulcan762's, I had my phone mounted there, in my '15.  Sold that one, shortly after my head-on collision, year ago.

gallery_151133_4800_1249650.thumb.jpg.28ea7ea39f5ecd4f7738daf48d959966.jpgTruck Mod - Phone mount.docx

9 hours ago, Ravenkeeper said:

I had one similar to that, but it fell apart after 2 years.  Besides, I like having the second cupholder for whoever is in the truck with me, or for my fries in one and drink in the other.

@Vulcan762 , I may try your idea, been looking for over a year for one in my '18 truck.  Ran with @18Midnight's idea for a while, but I have started bringing CDs with me, from time to time. 

For those with a cubbie/pocket in the dash, like @Vulcan762's, I had my phone mounted there, in my '15.  Sold that one, shortly after my head-on collision, year ago.

Truck Mod - Phone mount.docx 452.17 kB · 1 download

Yeah....I tried a cup holder mount but didnt like anything about how it fit in my truck. Plus, like you I didnt like giving up one of my cup holders and it just seemed to bring the phone to close to me. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 11:32 PM, Nitrousbird said:

Because if your charging your phone you have to set it upside down or on its side. And due to the steep angle of the built in shelf, a plugged in, upside down phone doesnt sit very stable. And navigation is not as easy to read when the phone is on its side. For occasional use its fine but I practically live in my truck for work so I really need a stable location for my phone. Last, I have a 2014 which does not have Android or Apple Car play. So Im stuck with GM Intellilink which does not offer screen sharing. Im toying with the idea of upgrading this. 

• Like 1