Chevy Trucks and SUVs Rock This List of Vehicles That Live Up To Expectations

Gorehamj

2018-Chevrolet Suburban-001.jpg

John Goreham

Staff Writer

8-30-18

No, this isn’t another J.D. Power Hammer story, though we do love them. This one is a story about a survey report we particularly like, AutoPacifica’s Ideal Vehicle Awards (IVA). In a nutshell, this is an award that goes to the vehicles which most fully meet the expectations of their buyers. At the end of the day, is there really anything more important? The overall winner for 2018 is the Chevy Suburban. Maybe even more impressive is that Chevy swept the truck segment. 

Like all of the best awards and reports, this one isn’t about what the car and truck testers think. They tend to be very heavily biased towards a certain type of car, a sports coupe or an extreme off-road vehicle. Who cares what those writers and bloggers think of your Silverado? Rather, this award is based solely on owner opinions. “IVA’s speak to a vehicle’s layout and design,” says AutoPacific president George Peterson. “Giving owners a chance to tell us what they would change and how they would change it reveals which vehicles are designed to meet their needs and expectations. In other words, having owners who are happy with things the way they are says the manufacturer did their upfront research and designed the vehicle with their target buyer in mind.”

Interestingly, trucks outperform cars in the IVA. And not just in one area. Auto Pacifica says that trucks beat cars trucks (SUVs and pickups) outperform cars in all attributes including; visibility, technology, interior quietness and safety features. 

Chevy dominated the trucks segment. “The Suburban nailed most of the problem categories. Its packaging is just what their target consumer wants,” says Peterson. Chevrolet earned the win all three pickup segments with the Silverado 1500, Silverado HD and Colorado, which tied with the Honda Ridgeline.

Here is the complete list of winners:

AutoPacifica IVA winners 18.png

I know 2 Telsa owners.  I live in a big oil state, so that's something that I know 2 of them, and in a state where Telsa has not been allowed to setup a dealership.  Anyway, both of them were so excited when getting their Model S, but today they are not quite so pleased.  It's not that the cars are bad, but the everyday driving experience to them didn't quite turn out so enjoyable as I've been told.  They both have odd reasons that change from time to time, like the ride is not that great and that the center display tends to be flakey, etc etc.  I know one now just sits in the garage and hardly ever driven.  Kind of funny how a name can be so popular, but the reality is not quite as good.  But, that's just 2 opinions...

Edited by Nargg