Must have options

Thirty years ago my preferred options on a 1/2 ton were power steering, power brakes and air conditioning. Today these are not optional and I should be happy.  However, I find myself shunning potential purchases because of frills I would have mocked  a decade or two ago!  My local dealership just brought in an '18 SLE with max tow.  It's a beautiful truck but lacking power/heated seats and doesn't have a sliding rear window.  I am embarrassed to say that these particular options are preventing me from negotiating on this unit.  I know I would get a great deal and would manage fine with the more spartan list of options.  (Features like dual zone HVAC, adjustable pedals,  auto-dimming mirrors, centre console, etc. are also lacking in this particular unit but are not deal breakers, imo.)   This truck does have the max tow package, factory spray-in liner, 8" screen and is a great looking truck!   I think I need a re-boot!  A '60's 6cyl, 3spd without pb, ps or radio for a year would give me a greater appreciation for today's "base" model trucks!  What option other than the major items like engine size and colour would be a deal breaker for you?

• Like 1

Thirty years ago my preferred options on a 1/2 ton were power steering, power brakes and air conditioning. Today these are not optional and I should be happy.  However, I find myself shunning potential purchases because of frills I would have mocked  a decade or two ago!  My local dealership just brought in an '18 SLE with max tow.  It's a beautiful truck but lacking power/heated seats and doesn't have a sliding rear window.  I am embarrassed to say that these particular options are preventing me from negotiating on this unit.  I know I would get a great deal and would manage fine with the more spartan list of options.  (Features like dual zone HVAC, adjustable pedals,  auto-dimming mirrors, centre console, etc. are also lacking in this particular unit but are not deal breakers, imo.)   This truck does have the max tow package, factory spray-in liner, 8" screen and is a great looking truck!   I think I need a re-boot!  A '60's 6cyl, 3spd without pb, ps or radio for a year would give me a greater appreciation for today's "base" model trucks!  What option other than the major items like engine size and colour would be a deal breaker for you?

I can relate, I went for the most options, as I get older the least. My wife’s 7 year old car has the max when we bought it, my latest the least. I still have to have my AC and cruise but for up to many thousands more for the rest, no thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2 cents... decide what you can afford as far as payments/purchase price goes and shoot for as many options as possible...

I’ve had a similar attitude to yours where the thought of some of the frills available these days seem foofy. But as I’ve worked my way up, truck to truck more options have “crept” in to the newer ride... and I have to say it’d be hard to choose which ones to cut.... If I had to choose some to drop, collision avoidance/parking assist/power pedals would be among the first. Ones I’d never give up are the “heated stuff” seats & wheel are a great addition (depending on your climate, I’m in Ontario so killer dirty winters) if you have any type of aging body lol.

Nothing to be embarrassed about Donstar. Heated and power seats are a huge deal especially for heated seats if you live in a state where winters are very cold.

Personally, even if there are features you may not use now or in 6 months your mind may change the longer you have the truck. I bought my LT about two months ago and while I love the truck I do wish I would have jumped at the LTZ as I’m now trying to add some of the features from the LTZ to my LT. I’ve already added the LTZ mirrors with pgamboas harness.

I’m already thinking once I get this paid off, I’ll want to jump at the next Silverado that is out there since the new gen has added a ton of things that we have in our 2018 Traverse like push start, blind spot sensors, door handle Touch sensors, etc. I thought some of this tech wasn’t needed either until I got used to it with our Traverse and wish my 2018 Silverado had some of this too. LOL!

My must have list was pretty short for my latest purchase.

4x4
Trailer brake controller

3.42 gears
Carpet floor

I ended up with a lot more options, due to dealer inventory, and the price gap between a stripped down truck and an Elevation edition was not that big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by rkj__
add gears, would not accept 3.08
  • Like 1

I'm an old fart so as long as I have simple A/C (not dual-zone and the added complexity), power windows and mirrors and a V-8 I'm happy. I'd be even happier if they would bring back wing windows. Less is more as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

I guess I fit in the "old Fart" category as well.  I usually buy the top of the line truck because I like the comfort and at this point in life can afford it.  Must haves for me are integrated navigation and dual zone auto climate control.

1 hour ago, brokenjaww said:

My 2 cents... decide what you can afford as far as payments/purchase price goes and shoot for as many options as possible...

I’ve had a similar attitude to yours where the thought of some of the frills available these days seem foofy. But as I’ve worked my way up, truck to truck more options have “crept” in to the newer ride... and I have to say it’d be hard to choose which ones to cut.... If I had to choose some to drop, collision avoidance/parking assist/power pedals would be among the first. Ones I’d never give up are the “heated stuff” seats & wheel are a great addition (depending on your climate, I’m in Ontario so killer dirty winters) if you have any type of aging body lol.

The issue is more to do with availability of the more popularly equipped trucks that are no longer being produced.   My main reason for upgrading is to optimize my towing potential without buying a 3/4 ton.  I will not be towing about 95% of the time so I need to be mindful of other features!  I remember my years living in communities on the northern borders of BC & Alta.  Sitting on a frozen vinyl seat was as comfortable as using a block of ice for a chair!

The issue is more to do with availability of the more popularly equipped trucks that are no longer being produced.   My main reason for upgrading is to optimize my towing potential without buying a 3/4 ton.  I will not be towing about 95% of the time so I need to be mindful of other features!  I remember my years living in communities on the northern borders of BC & Alta.  Sitting on a frozen vinyl seat was as comfortable as using a block of ice for a chair!

If towing is the main reason, you should consider the 6.2L. I got it, and love it. Intend to add airbags to rear suspension in future (hoping set of ‘06 will fit on ‘18).

I made the dealer do the work, said I’m comfortable at such a price, gave my basic wants and they fed me options... I feel it worked nicely this way. Dealer ended up bringing in a truck from 500km away for me!

I am super simple. I went in to buy a used 15 wt or something of the sort.   Ended up walking out with a brand new 16 LT for the same price. Im not huge on options other than power windows bow becsuse all my past vehicles were manual qhich gets annoying after awhile.  

Only thing is now that i have a truck with more options im upgrading the truck with highet model options. Just becsuse i can (i get bored easily)

But for me power windows and bluetooth is all i really need

Buying a regular cab we don't get fancy things like leather or adjustable pedals so my deciding factors where few. It had to have the 5.3 with either Siren Red or Deep Ocean Blue in color and had to have the LT convenience package. I would of loved color matched bumpers and what not but didn't want or need 4x4 so z71 package was out of the question.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I’m kind of a sucker for options. My truck isn’t exactly what I’d want, it has a few extras but missing some things I’d like.

I could do without:

Automatic transmission 

automatic climate control

dual zone climate (although the wife likes it)

id like to control the climate old school, like heat/ac vs degrees 

cooled seats

Onstar

I wish I had:

sunroof

NHT 

heated stearing wheel

I like:

6.2 v8

Heated seats

seats with lots of adjustments

crew cab

premium stereo

xm radio

theres of lots of things they put on new vehicles I don’t want:

navigation 

traction control

Anything that accelerates or stops by itself or beeps when it thinks I’m going to hit something.  I draw the line at self driving vehicles.

Edited by rjpoog1989

My Must Have List:

Crew cab - I need room for a car seat in back and double cabs just don't fit one properly since I'm over 6' tall and my wife nearly is as well

Heated Seats/Leather - I'm in MN and need the heat, and leather is easy to clean

4x4 - Again, MN winters, and for out at the parent's farm

Dimming side mirrors - Had them in the last car and got spoiled, now I can never go back

Bluetooth - Hands free is the way to be

Radio controls on the steering wheel

My need list had the "Underbody Shield" on it (Z71 option), but I later found out that it was plastic... so I had to buy my own metal one and put it on myself anyway.  I couldn't care less about the Rancho shocks and Z71 badge, I was very disappointed that they didn't disclose that to me.  That option was a metal shield a few years ago so that's what I was expecting.

Wants:

The bucket seat console is epic, so I would put that high on the 'want' list.

Vented seats - feels so good in the couple really hot months

Premium sound - Mostly because if I am going to spend a large amount of my life in the car, it should sound good

I think the collision avoidance stuff can be annoying, but it's the way of the world now.  We are human and, in a moment of weakness, if it ever helps it will have paid for itself.