2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 Tail Gate Drops Open/Won't Lock

I have a 2012 Chevy Silverado 2500.  Over the last few days the tailgate will drop on it's own.  You must slam it in order for it to stay closed, but there have been times when it will still drop open.  I've greased the 2 side locking mechanisms, but that hasn't helped.  I cannot lock the tailgate either.  The key inserts fine, but you cannot fully turn it.  This is very dangerous since it has open in parking lots with vehicles parked behind me.  It has also opened while pumping gas. 

Sounds like it might need a handle.  Is the handle mechanism binding?  the levers on the handle where the rods attach to start to bind/seize up and not let the latches function properly. 

Edited by newdude

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem on my 04, but have since replaced it with a 12. I have not had reason to check if the same internal mechanism is used. When I had the problem, I ended up taking off the bezel around the latch handle. The mechanism turns the pull of the handle to turning a little plate, which pulls the rods to the two latches. This plate has surface rust, and would not turn freely, and not  let the rots reset the latches to lock. I cleaned the rotating plate up, sprayed WD40, and freed the plate’s rotation. I then coated the plate with white grease spray, but fluid film, or some other protectant would work. No more trouble surfaced before this truck went down the road.