Where is my transmission leaking from?

Hey guys,

I have a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ with the 5.3 L engine. Truck has over 300,000 km now. Just fixing up some odds and ends on it, and I noticed I have some red transmission fluid dripping from the small inspection hole at the rear part of the transmission bellhousing (right before the pan). I have attached a picture. Any ideas where this would be coming from?

Thank you!

20181112_201305.jpg

Thanks for the responses! By front seal do you guys mean the "fluid pump seal"? I'm looking on RockAuto and I'm trying to figure out which part you're referring to. There are so many seals listed under transmission parts. A part number would be super helpful!

If it is the front seal, how difficult of a job is it? I know the transmission has to be removed, but is there any special tools to change that seal? Any other parts that need to be changed in the process? I've never opened up a transmission before, but I am an aircraft mechanic and I'm mechanically inclined.

Thank you!

Edited by Bedwards923

(Assuming you have the 4l60) Yes, the fluid pump seal, SKF 17458 / NATIONAL 4950/ any of those that look like those. It's not difficult to actually replace it with the transmission out of the truck, but the trans does have to be removed or at least slid back from the engine. Any pry tool, chisel, seal remover can pull it out (you'll have to contest with the input shaft sticking through it, but it's not bad). To reinstall, any seal driver that can fit around the input shaft, or a flat plate or blocks to pound it in will work. While you're at it, you can replace the o-ring seal on the input shaft. It's cheap insurance, but not necessary unless you nick or cut it during R&R of the torque converter.