Rear window leak

Demon

Nope. Picked it up the same day. Wasn't even that good of a job. I can see the yellow sealant above the window as well. Are the 2020's leaking as well? My confidence in this thing is very low. I'll dump it if I have to keep dealing with this.  Is a new rear window even going to fix this? 

Yeah there’s people on here with 20s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Lunar68 said:

Nope. Picked it up the same day. Wasn't even that good of a job. I can see the yellow sealant above the window as well. Are the 2020's leaking as well? My confidence in this thing is very low. I'll dump it if I have to keep dealing with this.  Is a new rear window even going to fix this? 

I am by no means an expert but from reading this thread seems like the TSB called from Kent High Tech Clear Sealant or equivalent but there was another fella here that had the yellow stuff and it also failed.  Not to say if you got the clear stuff it would have work.  Also don’t know if you live in the salt belt but the sealant needs >16 hours to cure properly in above 50f temps.  And someone here had theorized that maybe the lack of individual seals on all the mounting holes between the spoiler and cab could cause more water to leak in.  There is one long seal that runs along the underneath top edge of the spoiler.  If the tech didn’t tighten the spoiler to the cab, I can see the leak being worse. Of course this doesn’t explain why the non-sliding windows don’t leak.  Lots of info.  Glad this thread exists.  

• Like 1

Its back at the dealer this morning. I "encouraged" them to this time follow the TSB and not use what looks like yellow great stuff on it. I am fairly certain that the tech didn't even remove the rear headliner to remove the third break light per the tsb. I told them I didn't want to hear back until the correct tsb was done and the correct sealant has time to set. Probably was a typical rush job as its looks like Chevy is giving the dealer 1.5 hrs to do the work. And now they are having to re do it. I'm sure done correctly it takes longer than that.  I actually use to work at this dealer, its not where I purchased it but its a Chevy problem so the service advisers are not giving me the standard mumbo jumbo. Hopefully its done right this time.  

Its back at the dealer this morning. I "encouraged" them to this time follow the TSB and not use what looks like yellow great stuff on it. I am fairly certain that the tech didn't even remove the rear headliner to remove the third break light per the tsb. I told them I didn't want to hear back until the correct tsb was done and the correct sealant has time to set. Probably was a typical rush job as its looks like Chevy is giving the dealer 1.5 hrs to do the work. And now they are having to re do it. I'm sure done correctly it takes longer than that.  I actually use to work at this dealer, its not where I purchased it but its a Chevy problem so the service advisers are not giving me the standard mumbo jumbo. Hopefully its done right this time.  

It’d take an hour and half to drop the headliner correctly

• Like 2

There is no "correct" caulk job that will fix this problem. Anyone that says so is lying to you. They caulked my 19 three times and the leak always came back.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

There is no "correct" caulk job that will fix this problem. Anyone that says so is lying to you. They caulked my 19 three times and the leak always came back.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

So it seems that the only real hope is a brand new rear glass assembly.

But even then..

Taking mine in today. Only leaking in two small spots, no headliner damage...yet.

Funny thing is it wont leak with a hose or pressure washer, or sitting on flat ground. It poured last night and it was dry as a bone this morning parked on the street if I park it in my driveway on an incline it leaks.

• Like 1

At what point does GM authorize a new rear window to be installed ? Do they have to do the "caulk" job first ?  Any GM techs on here with any advice?? .. Thanks... Sure would be nice if GM looked at these forums to see what issues their products are having. 

• Like 1

My entire glass assembly should be arriving today and the dealer has a glass company they contract out to do the install. They also advised me that the truck will sit indoors after the install for 24 hours before I can pick it up.

Im hoping this resolves the issue but like anything else ill be paranoid and keeping a constant eye on it all the time now

On 2/5/2020 at 11:22 AM, Centrebaseball said:

Someone a long while back mentioned class action discussions with a law firm.  I wonder what became of that? 

I looked at one of my rental car invoices while I was driving around waiting for a window - 2 grand! GM is losing their shirt  no on this stuff I would imagine. 

I've put on 1200 miles with their loaner car and still going.   They could have just replaced the rear window and been done with this mess. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lunar68 said:

At what point does GM authorize a new rear window to be installed ? Do they have to do the "caulk" job first ?  Any GM techs on here with any advice?? .. Thanks... Sure would be nice if GM looked at these forums to see what issues their products are having. 

Seems to me like good dealers who want their customer happy have been finding ways to replace windows and frames which is the correct fix here imo. I have seen very few caulking jobs hold up for people on this website and last, certainly none of them looked professional or something you would expect to get with a dealer warranty fix.

On 2/5/2020 at 12:50 PM, wacnstac said:

Yikes, just bought a 2020 LT trail boss with rear slider without knowing about this issue. Haven't picked up the truck yet (Saturday). Any advice? Should I buy the extended warranty? Is the extended warranty bought at one dealership good at all of them, in case I switch dealers at some point? 

Take it for a test spin and go wash it at a car wash with a high pressure washer.  Make sure you spend a few minutes on each corner of the top rear window \ brake light area and see if it leaks.   

On 2/5/2020 at 6:10 PM, JohnCasey said:

GM keeps telling me that they want to give me compensation but they can’t tell me what. They only say I have to wait until my truck is repaired and then and only them can they talk about compensation.  Kinda like a health care law. Got to pass it to see what we just voted for 

PLEASE reply back and let us know what the compensation is.  I'm going to inquire also.  They told me the same thing about "making it right" and compensation.  They also said that if ti's something that can't be fixed they will look at getting me out of the truck.   I won't count on that but I want an extended warranty after all of the recalls and this window garbage.  With my luck this will fail right at 36,001. 

Loop

2 minutes ago, Smitty said:

Take it for a test spin and go wash it at a car wash with a high pressure washer.  Make sure you spend a few minutes on each corner of the top rear window \ brake light area and see if it leaks.   

Yeap will do. Still getting aquanted with the truck at this point and need to read 96 pages of this thread to figure out what the best course of action is o ce I have a leak and the tsb number to refer a dealer to.