Rear window leak

Demon

2 minutes ago, Smitty said:

PLEASE reply back and let us know what the compensation is.  I'm going to inquire also.  They told me the same thing about "making it right" and compensation.  They also said that if ti's something that can't be fixed they will look at getting me out of the truck.   I won't count on that but I want an extended warranty after all of the recalls and this window garbage.  With my luck this will fail right at 36,001. 

They’ve told me there would be no replacement truck because a window leak can be fixed. We’ll see. Wednesday is their deadline for the N.C. Lemon Law notification I mailed out. Haven’t heard a word since I mailed it. I’m betting their just compensation will be some overpriced accessory that I would have bought with the truck to start with.  

• Sad 1

Just wanted to update what I hope is the end to this saga:

Just got my truck back for what I hope will be the last time. Went to a second dealership, and it was night and day difference in the service (also probably helped that GM exec's were aware of what was going on). But man, it gave me hope that there are at least a few good techs out there that can do the job properly.

They replaced my replacement window because the glass guy at the original dealership didn't seal it correctly. It is still the FAYUO 43R-000042 window, so that hasn't changed. The paint has been taken care of. The headliner looks l like new. They cleaned up the mess of caulk left by the original caulk job. Overall, they did an amazing job but it took forever and a day and some conversations with the right people to make it happen. 

Now the big test is this week - storms 90% and above for the next 5 days. Praying it doesn't leak again, but so far this morning it has been solid. 

I guess the moral of the story is, if you don't get a good vibe from the first dealer, don't be afraid to run like hell to another one. 

• Like 2

On 2/7/2020 at 5:20 PM, JohnCasey said:

I’m on day 69 waiting for my headliner so they can replace the window and headliner. Haven’t heard a word in the last week and a half. They ve got five more days To respond to my lemon law letter. After that I’ll have to contact my state attorney general and see whats next.

I'm curious what color your headliner is?  My truck is just over 2 weeks in and they got a headliner for mine on Friday.  My headliner is a silver \ gray color so I'm guessing yours is something different?  I'm HOPING to get a call today to pick it up to see how the headliner looks and test for leaks myself.  Hopefully they cleaned the greasy fingerprints off the black leather seats this time.   

35 minutes ago, Lunar68 said:

At what point does GM authorize a new rear window to be installed ? Do they have to do the "caulk" job first ?  Any GM techs on here with any advice?? .. Thanks... Sure would be nice if GM looked at these forums to see what issues their products are having. 

When I opened my case with GM I told them about this forum and made sure they were going to read it etc.  I suggest you open your case with then and do the same.  I highly doubt they will but HOPEFULLY we can gain traction in some fashion with all of these issues. 

• Like 1

There are many things that make a job well done.

Ability.

Caring.

Pay, to name some.

I'm sure we have all worked with people who do as little as possible do get by.

The ones that try harder.

The ones that care more.

ETC.

I have said before any repair on any item is only as good as the person doing the repair.

:)

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Smitty said:

I'm curious what color your headliner is?  My truck is just over 2 weeks in and they got a headliner for mine on Friday.  My headliner is a silver \ gray color so I'm guessing yours is something different?  I'm HOPING to get a call today to pick it up to see how the headliner looks and test for leaks myself.  Hopefully they cleaned the greasy fingerprints off the black leather seats this time.   

my headliner is grey in color.  I've opened a case with GM customer care and have been elevated twice the last time to GM Executive Customer care team.  They all told me that they were working hard for me and could get parts quickly and that I was prioritized so I would get the next available part and everything I've read online is contrary to what GM has told me.  It took a month and a half but I finally got a call from Juan my dealerships after sales district manger and he encouraged me to call him whenever I had a question and promised to call me back.  That phone call or email(I made sure he had my correct email address) never came.  Good luck.

Mine was “caulked” and got the truck back today after a week a the dealership. First thing I did is put the hose on it and it seems to be dry. My leak was very small compared to some, but was able to reproduce it every time I put a hose on the roof. Seemed like it was leaking through the third brake light area on the driver side only.

I really hope it holds up but reading here doesn’t give me much hope. One thing I noticed is I don’t think they put the headliner back correctly, is it supposed to sag in the middle? Looks like they forgot a clip... not a huge deal and will probably deal with it when going back for my next oil change. 

8 minutes ago, tinbad said:

Mine was “caulked” and got the truck back today after a week a the dealership. First thing I did is put the hose on it and it seems to be dry. My leak was very small compared to some, but was able to reproduce it every time I put a hose on the roof. Seemed like it was leaking through the third brake light area on the driver side only.

I really hope it holds up but reading here doesn’t give me much hope. One thing I noticed is I don’t think they put the headliner back correctly, is it supposed to sag in the middle? Looks like they forgot a clip... not a huge deal and will probably deal with it when going back for my next oil change. 

Picture of headliner showing the dip??

I would notify the dealer right away about the sag in the headliner. Even if you don't take it in right away let them know so that it is on file. This should help avoid issues later. Plus if their tech is doing sloppy work its best to let them know so they can address that before he/ she does 100 more vehicles....

• Like 1

Well, add another one to the list.  2019 LTZ 1/8/19 build date 13,800 miles on it.   We are having a day of light rain and I just noticed a slight drip on the drivers side back glass.   Heading out Wednesday for a 3 week trip so it will have to wait till I get back.  

Edited by Smoothie
Add build date

Add another to the ever growing list!   2019 High Country build date 08/18.  Purchased 11/2019.  Did not realize this window leak was a thing until I found this page.    Went out to check the truck after a thaw in snow, sure enough.... It's leaking.   Taking to the dealership in half hour, they promised to keep it indoors until they are ready to work on it.  

I think it would be helpful for anyone who has to take a truck with this problem into the dealership, to be able to point the tech or service manager at just 3-4 posts which define the TSB and which methods seem to be working the best for the repair.  Any suggestions on the key post #'s?

They aren't likely to read 97 pages. :)

Edited by wacnstac

So I dropped off my 2020 TB LT on Thursday to have the leaking rear window fixed. I was called and told the truck is ready this AM.  The dealership told me it was the 3rd brake light leaking, and not the window.  So after signing the paperwork I said "I'm going to go inspect my truck real quick".  I looked at the 3rd brake light from the bed of the truck and all looked good.  Then I went in the truck to look at the rear window area and I saw "blue fiberglass" dust all over my leather seats.  Then I look at the headliner and there is a noticeable 4 inch crack in the fiberglass liner and the fabric is buckled where the crack is.  

I go inside and ask for a manager, who comes out and he immediately sees it.  He said they will fix it, but wanted me to know how involved the R&R of the headliner is.  My truck is black so I feel like the paint is so soft that if you sneeze on it, it will scratch.  I don't have faith they can remove the windshield and install the headliner without doing some type of damage.  

I'm thinking of telling them to give me a credit for the amount it would cost to R&R the headliner, and using that to get a Borla exhaust.  Does anyone think they will "barter" with me?