Rear window leak

Demon

15 minutes ago, Bo Evans said:

I have bought 3 times as many trucks (all GM) as the average person and have dealt with enough of these kinds of issues and the dealer sold me the unit knowing of this issue, there has been a TSB out for over a year now.  IMO, they should fix the ones on the lot before selling them.  I am not trying to get flies, I am trying to get what I paid for and that is not a truck that leaks that has been in my possession for 2 weeks... 

I understand totally and that is the dealer's fault for sure.  I would be totally pissed off too.  I agree they should proactively fix what is on the lot before selling it because they all will leak.  What I don't get is why GM has not fixed this issue yet with ones rolling off the assembly line.

So I am at my usual dealer right now getting the brake recalls done.  My usual service writer is tied up so went with another guy who happens to be very nice and chatty.  He asked about my truck, how everything is, etc. and I said great except for the window leak which they already fixed.  He said "Ah, antenna leak, huh?" which surprised me.  He said the majority of the leaks they see are from the antenna at the front/top of the cab and not the rear window.  He said customers have come in with soaked carpets from it.  They replace the antenna or the seal to make it stop (maybe the antenna gasket only comes with a new antenna?). 

I guess the moral of the story is watch your carpets and pay attention to musty smells

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't their an airbag in the pillars in the rear? I can't help but think it's not good to have it get wet constantly. I saw replies that GM isn't too concerned because its not a safety issue.. I would think the possibility of an air bag deploying because of water/rust issues would be a matter of safety. Good thing we bailed them out huh.... Going to search the thread for the GM customer service info and I think I will also start a case. 

1 hour ago, JohnCasey said:

That’s true most of the time. I’m questioning my dealerships techs skill level after performing the tsb twice and it still leaks and then telling me they can’t make it leak. Also really gets under my skin when I’m told that parts are nationally backordered but I’ve seen people with the same problem get theirs fixed under warranty within two weeks and I’m going on 73 days waiting for the exact same parts and I’m “supposed” to be on some kind of Priority List. If my dealership pushed this hard enough it would have been repaired by now. 

Your dealership sounds like my first dealer and they were an absolute joke.  Go somewhere else.  Run somewhere else.  Night and day getting into the right spot 

At this point I don't know that I can.  My truck is in their bay with the headliner dropped, the rear pillars out and who knows what else as it sits and waits.  I asked them if they have investigated the wind noise that my truck suddenly produced after they did the seat belt tensioner recall and they told me they couldn't drive it because the cab was taken apart.  At this point I wonder if they are trying to wait me out and see who has more patients.

1 hour ago, Ethan Fernaays said:

I couldn't agree with you more, they are going to say or do whatever they can to ease concerns.    They did say that if this fix fails they then have to remove and reseat the back window unit.    They are also claiming that they are seeing solid windows with the same leak as well.  I am wondering now after researching this topic if there could possibly be two issues at play here.   A spoiler seal issue which would impact all model years regardless of fixed/slide windows, and a defect with the slide windows themselves.   I tried to get a good look at the top of the plastic above the slide unit to see if there I could see any cracks but without risking damaging the headliner, I couldn't get a good enough view up there.   Its a sad state of affairs anyway you look at it.  So many folks that have spent so much hard earned cash on these vehicles and GM is sitting on it without a real solution.   Because it is not a "safety issue" they aren't going to be forced to do a recall and repurchases are out of the question because a leak in theory can be "fixed".    I will keep everyone posted as my journey continues, but I have to say that I am skeptical at best with the proposed fixes.

This is contrary to what my dealership claims GM engineering told them.  They claimed that once the seal is broken the window must be replaced and cannot be resealed and reused.

A little update for you guys on my window replacement. The numbers on my new widow are different then the numbers on my old window, and the construction of the plastic frame looks a little different. It's only been a few days since I picked it up so I have not put many miles on it nor has the temperature dropped below freezing, (it will in a couple of days), but it has been sitting in torrential rains for two days and is still dry. The dealer I went to is my local dealer, ( I did not buy the truck from them), they are a small dealership, but every person I talked to said they had been seeing a bunch of leaking windows. I've said it before, if your dealer says they have not heard of the issue they are lying to you.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DuRsT said:

We should create a poll on this thread so that it can be easily seen how many people on the forum have this issue.  

Can we do that with this forum? 

I think that's a great idea, can someone create a poll?  maybe list 2019, 2020 and if they leak?   That would be something people can view quickly vs reading all of this.  Maybe something like Window replaced \ fixed and spoiler \ seal?   Great idea DuRsT! 

5 minutes ago, Smitty said:

I think that's a great idea, can someone create a poll?  maybe list 2019, 2020 and if they leak?   That would be something people can view quickly vs reading all of this.  Maybe something like Window replaced \ fixed and spoiler \ seal?   Great idea DuRsT! 

Here's the link to the poll: 

Guys, 

Not sure who needs to hear this today, but just wanted to share a little bit of perspective with you. We have a 10 month old baby at home, our good friends have a 7 month old. Yesterday, their 7 month old fell out of her high chair and and hit her head and has a horrible concussion. Doing all kinds of testing, but it's not looking great. I share this with you because life is all about perspective. In this instant I am extremely grateful our family and more importantly, our baby has her health. Nothing with this truck's window matters to me anymore, it's just a possession that can be replaced. Does it still upset me we have to deal with this, yes - but in the grand scheme of life it's not that big of a deal, and just a blip on the radar. Don't let it consume you and focus on the important things.

Hug your loved ones, do things that make you happy, and be thankful you can afford a brand new truck (even though it's a PITA).

And if you're the praying kind, our friends could certainly use a prayer or two right now.

Edited by hotrodz37
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Jamie73 said:

A little update for you guys on my window replacement. The numbers on my new widow are different then the numbers on my old window, and the construction of the plastic frame looks a little different. It's only been a few days since I picked it up so I have not put many miles on it nor has the temperature dropped below freezing, (it will in a couple of days), but it has been sitting in torrential rains for two days and is still dry. The dealer I went to is my local dealer, ( I did not buy the truck from them), they are a small dealership, but every person I talked to said they had been seeing a bunch of leaking windows. I've said it before, if your dealer says they have not heard of the issue they are lying to you.

What  is your new part number?

14 minutes ago, Josef said:

What  is your new part number?

The invoice from the dealer did not have any part numbers on it, these numbers came straight from the window. I'm not sure if it's actually a part number. Original window 43R-0115130     New window  43R-000072

Edited by Jamie73
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jamie73 said:

The invoice from the dealer did not have any part numbers on it, these numbers came straight from the window. I'm not sure if it's actually a part number. Original window 43R-000072      New window  43R-0115130

Interesting because 43R-00072 is what I have in my window right now as a replacement