Rear window leak

Demon

1 minute ago, Rfg14silverado said:

I wonder if a dealership would agree to actually do it 

GM sure as hell wouldn’t pay for it, but I’m sure you could have Safelite or whoever do it. Still sounds like a lousy idea to me though.

31 minutes ago, Ethan Fernaays said:

Did u get a replacement window?  has your leak been resolved?  

No, I got it sealed on December 26th. It started leaking again a week later. I took it back, but at that visit realized my dealer was clueless. So I made an appointment with another dealer 30 min away that was much more knowledgeable on the phone. 

Still haven’t made it in to that appointment. Window was still leaking last week, but less. Then it rained the past few days hard, and it’s not leaking now. So weird. 

9 hours ago, econometrics said:

Oddly, it’s rained like the flood here the past week off and on, and my previously-resealed-leaking-still-window didn’t leak. ??‍♂️???‍♂️

Yet, whenever I have a little morning dew on the top of the truck, I see a drip on the sliding frame corner. ?

That's when I noticed it the first time and after the caulk job, it would only drip after morning dew, not rainstorms or washes. Haven't noticed any drips since the new E4 window last week or so. 

• Like 1

They are putting my headliner in as I type this.  I stopped by the dealership earlier when the pulled the glass.  I found two cracks through the frame that the service manager failed to notice.  They are putting my headliner in today and maybe the window this afternoon or the morning.  I'll pick it up on Monday at this point for a total of 79 days out of service if this is all the warranty work I have to get done.  They did tell me that I haven't been driving the loaner much. Apparently most of the people given loaners drive the heck out of them.  I did notice all of the steel hardware that holds the seat on the rear of the cab is rusting.  I will also say that their glass crew did a great job removing the window in one piece and did not put a single scratch anywhere that is exposed(there is one scratch through the paint exposing primer behind where the window seals).  

Edited by JohnCasey

So after I found water in my cab yesterday 5 days after my new window was installed I took it by the dealership this morning. Service manager wants it this afternoon. Talked to GMC to reopen my case. And here is a good one for you guys. The guy at GM said he had never heard of this issue. And was blaming the work that the glass installer had done. I had to laugh and then proceeded to educate him. Also pointed out this website for him to look at and gain more education. Of course I think he is lying about not hearing about this before. And no loaner car for me, damn. The adventure continues.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

UGH!  Took my truck in for the seatbelt recall and the dealership found a lot of moisture under my rug.  The source:  Rear window.  The first attempt to reseal the window failed and waiting to see how the second attempt goes.  so far they had to remove and dissinfect my carpet twice now to prevent mold from growing.

22 minutes ago, Nocar said:

UGH!  Took my truck in for the seatbelt recall and the dealership found a lot of moisture under my rug.  The source:  Rear window.  The first attempt to reseal the window failed and waiting to see how the second attempt goes.  so far they had to remove and dissinfect my carpet twice now to prevent mold from growing.

They will never fix it with sealant, i dont think a single person has had that hack fix performed and had it last more than a week if even that.

They sealed mine three times before I convinced them that it needed a new window.  Today they removed my window and I found not one but two cracks through the plastic frame at the edge of the slide guide rail. Good Luck.  I'm on day 75 and they want to give the sealant on the new window 48hrs to cure so I won't get my truck back until Monday-79 days out of service.

I have read through so many posts on this topic, most people arent posting the type of rear window they have.  Are folks with the fixed rear window experiencing same issues?  I could care less about the sliding rear window will really never use it.  Wondering if I should just have it replaced with a fixed glass unit.

That’s why I ordered mine without it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They sealed mine three times before I convinced them that it needed a new window.  Today they removed my window and I found not one but two cracks through the plastic frame at the edge of the slide guide rail. Good Luck.  I'm on day 75 and they want to give the sealant on the new window 48hrs to cure so I won't get my truck back until Monday-79 days out of service.

That’s nuts they should have compensated you some way or another

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BIGDOGx said:

They will never fix it with sealant, i dont think a single person has had that hack fix performed and had it last more than a week if even that.

Mines been sealant fixed since August. Worked on the first attempt and still dry today. Competence (or incompetence) of the techs doing the job probably plays a huge part. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not happy my window is caulked though.

The caulk joint was very poorly done with mine in the fix each time. I’m actually going to see if they need that window or if they are going to junk it. The pro I saw on the repair after having the window out was the caulk tube tip was cut with too narrow of an opening and wouldn’t allow the caulk to flow out and cover the entire joint from truck body to window glass. Ha they don’t that there would have been no was for the water to enter cracked frame or not. The way the window sits with the spoiler they really would have. A hard time Caulking it properly.  Why GM didn’t have the spoiler come 3/8-1/2” down below the window top and terminate on the glass vertical surface instead of the Horizontal joint is beyond anything this plumber can figure. 

17 hours ago, JohnCasey said:

The caulk joint was very poorly done with mine in the fix each time. I’m actually going to see if they need that window or if they are going to junk it. The pro I saw on the repair after having the window out was the caulk tube tip was cut with too narrow of an opening and wouldn’t allow the caulk to flow out and cover the entire joint from truck body to window glass. Ha they don’t that there would have been no was for the water to enter cracked frame or not. The way the window sits with the spoiler they really would have. A hard time Caulking it properly.  Why GM didn’t have the spoiler come 3/8-1/2” down below the window top and terminate on the glass vertical surface instead of the Horizontal joint is beyond anything this plumber can figure. 

Lol, even as a guy who works in music industry, works on my farm, and does extensive home remodeling -- the first thing I thought of was this exact thing -- why in the hell would they run this angle directly for water to hit a seam? Makes zero sense. Water will find a way through the smallest hairline crack. Just common damn sense.