Zane

2019_Silverado_AgriCover_LOMAX_21.jpg

Zane & Josh, The Merva Brothers

Founders, GM-Trucks.com

November 23rd, 2018

Earlier this year we installed the Agri-Cover LORADO soft roll-up cover on GM-Trucks.com's 2011 GMC Sierra. Bed covers are one of the best utility to value products you can get for a pickup and we were impressed how useful Agri-Cover's premium soft cover solution was on our Sierra. 

When we took delivery of our brand new 2019 Silverado a few weeks ago, Agri-Cover couldn't wait to let us know they had a premium hard tri-fold cover, the LOMAX,  that would be on sale soon and would fit our brand new bed size. Before we knew it, a brand new LOMAX arrived at our garage. After the LORADO earned its keep over the Summer of 2018, we're ready to subject the LOMAX to the Winter of 2019. We installed the Agri-Cover LOMAX Hard Tri-Fold Bed Cover a few days ago and here's how it went and what we think. 

2019_Silverado_AgriCover_LOMAX_20.jpg

What is it?
Access Cover LOMAX Hard Tri-Fold Cover
Model Number: B1020079 for 2019+ Chevrolet Silverado / GMC Sierra 1500 w/ 5’ 8” bed
MSRP: $1,039 (as of November 2018)
Manufacturer Website: https://www.agricover.com/lomax/

Main Features

• Low profile - sits ½ inch above bed rails
  • Made of extruded lightweight aluminum
  • Weather tight, water shedding design
  • Designed to remove and reinstall easily

Competitive Products

• WeatherTech AlloyCover 
  • B Bak BAKFLIP MX4
  • Extang Solid Fold 2.0

What We Like

• Extremely lightweight
  • One of the thinnest hard tri-fold covers available
  • Doesn’t interfere with power up/down tailgate
  • Easily removed to haul larger items

What We Don’t Like

• Fully folded, it still takes up ⅓ of the bed (fortunately, it can be removed if needed)
  • The panels had a few sharp edges out of the box
  • Installation diagrams didn’t match our 2019’s bed design

2019_Silverado_AgriCover_LOMAX_01.jpg

Installation
The LOMAX arrived via FedEx just a few days after being shipped. Even though it was a larger and moderately heavy shipment it showed up still securely packaged with no dents or damage to the outside box. 

Inside, all the components were in perfect shape. There were no missing parts and, surprisingly, very few parts. 

2019_Silverado_AgriCover_LOMAX_03.jpg

The LOMAX box contains the tri-fold panel assembly, two side mounting rails and eight under-bed clamps to keep everything secure. 

2019_Silverado_AgriCover_LOMAX_04.jpg

2019_Silverado_AgriCover_LOMAX_05.jpg

With two sets of hands we were able to quickly and easily clamp the side rails in place. Each rail required four clamps, which we reversed for a wider grip as detailed in the installation manual. Super simple and easy to do with limited tools. 

Our manual’s diagrams and instructions relating to the placement of the clamps were not perfect however. The 2019’s under-bed rail has various thicknesses. You want to make all attempts to clamp only on areas where the sheet-metal is two layers thick. 

2019_Silverado_AgriCover_LOMAX_07.jpg

The manual instructs you to clamp in the far corners where there is only one layer of steel at the rail top. We decided to move the outermost clamps slightly inward to make sure they were attached in an area of thicker sheet metal. 

2019_Silverado_AgriCover_LOMAX_09.jpg

Aligning and tightening the rail clamps was the most difficult part of the LOMAX install and at most took us 30 minutes. By "most difficult", we actually mean really darn easy. You only need a socket wrench.

Once the side rails are securely clamped in place and adjusted to look even, we only had to lift the hard Tri-Fold assembly up onto the front rail. A little adjustment and the LOMAX snaps into place with two spring loaded locks. Two security straps attach at the first fold to prevent accidental flyaway. 

After opening up the hard cover and snapping the rear panel into place, we were done. No more than 35 minutes later with a lot of stopping for photography. The LOMAX is no doubt the easiest to install bed cover we’ve ever put on a truck. 

2019_Silverado_AgriCover_LOMAX_16.jpg

Initial Impressions
Despite being an up-level LTZ trim, our 2019 Silverado looked unfinished and bare with a uncovered and painted factory bed. The LOMAX Hard Tri-Fold cover ended up being the finishing piece that really completed the super sleek and ultra modern look of our 2019 Silverado.

2019_Silverado_AgriCover_LOMAX_19.jpg

Being a hard cover, the LOMAX has a thinner design then you could get from a roll up cover. It's also more expensive. That said, the easy installation and single unit cover piece also lends to an easy and quick removal process.  Need to haul large items and leave your LOMAX at home? No problem, you can remove it and reinstall later by yourself.  There’s also no interference with the power up and down tailgate, which surprised us. Looks good, works great, and doesn't mess up key vehicle features? Awesome!

Day to day use of the LOMAX seems as if it will be similar to our LORADO roll up cover. The tri-fold design can be operated by one person and secures at the cab front of the bed, just like the LORADO. Unlike the LORADO, the LOMAX has weather stripping to seal the edges of the cover instead of hook and loop fasteners. We're curious to see how weather tight this actually is and how it compares to the LORADO and the Retrax Pro we've used in the past. 

Winter is just gearing up here in New Hampshire and we can’t wait to see how the LOMAX Hard Tri-Fold Bed Cover stands up. Snow, ice, and abuse are three things we can promise. We'll leave everything else up to chance. Check back in Spring 2019 for an update on both of our Agri-Cover bed covers.  

Before LOMAX

2019_Silverado_AgriCover_LOMAX_02.jpg

After LOMAX

2019_Silverado_AgriCover_LOMAX_12.jpg

Agri-Cover LOMAX Hard Tri-Fold Cover Detail Photos

2019_Silverado_AgriCover_LOMAX_08.jpg

2019_Silverado_AgriCover_LOMAX_11.jpg

2019_Silverado_AgriCover_LOMAX_10.jpg

2019_Silverado_AgriCover_LOMAX_15.jpg

2019_Silverado_AgriCover_LOMAX_17.jpg

2019_Silverado_AgriCover_LOMAX_13.jpg

2019_Silverado_AgriCover_LOMAX_14.jpg

Editor's Note: This product was provided at no cost for the purposes of a review. We only publish our honest opinions and give no consideration for the gratis product. 

• Like 1

Nice write-up.  I am happy with my LOMAX cover and you will improve the weather tightness of the cover by adding some additional gasket material to both front corners where the provided gasket does not sit flush with the bed.

BackDr.jpg

Lomax2.jpg

Too bad the MFR. doesn't have an application or catalog. I can't tell if they make ANYTHING that FITS anything at all; I mean not without giving them all my on line info; and that just opens me up to all kinds of unwanted emails from sites I never heard of. Oh well, I'll just keep what I have then.

1 hour ago, dna9656 said:

Too bad the MFR. doesn't have an application or catalog. I can't tell if they make ANYTHING that FITS anything at all; I mean not without giving them all my on line info; and that just opens me up to all kinds of unwanted emails from sites I never heard of. Oh well, I'll just keep what I have then.

All you have to do is select "Shop by Truck"  enter Year, Make, Model and Bed size!

https://www.agricover.com/hard-tonneau-covers/

Edited by DougFL
Added site

This one looks better than the current almost flat cover I use.  This one's bed closing feature is much better than mine and others I've seen.  The only negative I see, beyond those listed in this article, is that darn pull string release.  That means you can't use it to store things without concern of theft.  Those are so easy to open with a simple hook made from a clothes hanger it's not even funny.  If they'd make a cover with a more secure latching mechanism, I'd toss my current one and get that ASAP.  I'm almost ready to go back to the much taller Extang cover.  While it's not flat, the latching mechanism is almost perfect for security.  That and the Extang doesn't need a rail to hold it down, making it so much more simple.

Not really a big deal, but the bare aluminum on the underside looks....unfinished.  Obviously, it does not affect function.  When folded, the latch thing (which i believe is made of rubber) is stretched to lock into place.  Long term durability of the rubber thing that has to be stretched to work remains to be seen.  The powder coat finish looks pretty good.

• 7 months later...

I went with a Lomax this time around, coming from a Bak MX4 on my 2017. Very pleased with the quality of the Lomax. The ease of removal of the cover when needed is excellent.  The appearance of the Lomax is shortchanged in many reviews and videos, it has a superior finish. 

Regarding an earlier comment on being able to defeat lockable covers with a coat hanger; a simple block of wood or plastic, ¾” x 6” double side taped directly in front of the pull strings solves that easily. This applies to all foldable covers with releases like Lomax and Bak. A simple solution, I don’t know why manufacturers don’t do it themselves and advertise it as a higher security feature.

• 2 months later...