Once again.

You will never convince me a new vehicle of any kind is worth the cost no matter what the new ones offer.

I saved $20 k on my 2012 used, hard to beat that IMO. That $20 k doesn't include insurance savings or plates.

I got lucky on the purchase of this truck, they wanted it gone for arriving new stock. 

Being retired now it's even better due to lower yearly mileage = lower wear and tear = lower cost.

I posted this before, I don't remember where on here but 1 person agreed with me because he did the same thing.

I figure I have saved over a $100 k on vehicles in my life by not buying new and driving them for a long time.

I do all my own work so that helps.

2007 Accord bought 4 years old for $15 k, new over $ 30 k.

Getting ready to do a timing belt, water pump, pulleys on it this summer.

Estimated savings $1200-1300 or more.

It was simple to me, drive a new vehicle which is the worst investment there is IMO.

Or buy used vehicles and take the money saved and pay off houses , good investment.

Put it in investments,  anything but a vehicle.

Now if your wallet is fatter than mine or a new vehicle is more important I get that.

I have paid off 4 houses. 

:)

Edited by diyer2
  • Like 2

I paid $2,200 for my '86 Grand Marquis ... 16 years ago. :)  Paid $800 for my '93 940 4 years ago.

The '07 Silverado cost $30 LARGE when new ... plus all the failures I had to repair - struts, ball joints,  hub bearings, 4x4 switch ... and now a failing engine with 95k on the clock. Dumbest decision I've ever made, besides buying a '00 GMC Jimmy in 2008.

Here's the Jimmy today:

5b5fe8463c1c3_Jimmycutupnodoors(2).thumb.JPG.72b75a786bc767f2f8fbc61ebf360240.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I think the guy your trying to recall was named 'Bob Jennings'

Think I still have some of his work hidden away somewhere. 

I remember a Gordon Jennings, but not a Bob. Gordon was the creator of Cycle World, I believe, and also an avid racer.

I had to do a Google search - it was Kevin Cameron I was thinking of. Used to love reading his articles. I haven't had a subscription to them in almost 15 years now.

2 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

I remember a Gordon Jennings, but not a Bob. Gordon was the creator of Cycle World, I believe, and also an avid racer.

I had to do a Google search - it was Kevin Cameron I was thinking of. Used to love reading his articles. I haven't had a subscription to them in almost 15 years now.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, my bad. Yes Gordon. Bob Jennings was my middle school principal. Yikes!! Talk about a brain fart. :lol: 

Anyway I remember Cameron's writing. Yep, out there. I like Gordon. Man knew what he was talking about. Wrote a great post on reading plugs that became my gold standard.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Once again.

You will never convince me a new vehicle of any kind is worth the cost no matter what the new ones offer.

I saved $20 k on my 2012 used, hard to beat that IMO. That $20 k doesn't include insurance savings or plates.

I got lucky on the purchase of this truck, they wanted it gone for arriving new stock. 

Being retired now it's even better due to lower yearly mileage = lower wear and tear = lower cost.

I posted this before, I don't remember where on here but 1 person agreed with me because he did the same thing.

I figure I have saved over a $100 k on vehicles in my life by not buying new and driving them for a long time.

I do all my own work so that helps.

2007 Accord bought 4 years old for $15 k, new over $ 30 k.

Getting ready to do a timing belt, water pump, pulleys on it this summer.

Estimated savings $1200-1300 or more.

It was simple to me, drive a new vehicle which is the worst investment there is IMO.

Or buy used vehicles and take the money saved and pay off houses , good investment.

Put it in investments,  anything but a vehicle.

Now if your wallet is fatter than mine or a new vehicle is more important I get that.

I have paid off 4 houses. 

:)

Think that was me. :thumbs: Wrote a post on True Ownership cost. 

• Like 1

i have been gm truck guy my whole life. i have a 2004 and a 2011 5.3 trucks right now that have 150k+ and have never needed any repairs. i will never buy one of these. if they had just taken a 5.3 gotten rid of the afm and just added a turbo they would have had a perfect engine.

why is it that these companies insist on making this hi tech nightmare crap that will save you at most 1 mpg but cost you 10s of thousands in repair bills? false economy.

Edited by vhehn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, vhehn said:

i have been gm truck guy my whole life. i have a 2004 and a 2011 5.3 trucks right now that have 150k+ and have never needed any repairs. i will never buy one of these. if they had just taken a 5.3 gotten rid of the afm and just added a turbo they would have had a perfect engine.

why is it that these companies insist on making this hi tech nightmare crap that will save you at most 1 mpg but cost you 10s of thousands in repair bills? false economy.

EXACTLY my thoughts - couldn't have said it better.

I have a 27 year old truck, 18 year old Acura, 13 year old Elantra, 8 year old Genesis, one year old Camry. The Elantra is going to my grandson. The Camry was a leftover and a last before a new makeover, cost me 17K new, 12K discount. The Genesis is still under warranty, just maintenance cost. It’s possible to get your moneys worth buying new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

I have a 27 year old truck, 18 year old Acura, 13 year old Elantra, 8 year old Genesis, one year old Camry. The Elantra is going to my grandson. The Camry was a leftover and a last before a new makeover, cost me 17K new, 12K discount. The Genesis is still under warranty, just maintenance cost. It’s possible to get your moneys worth buying new.

Sent from my iPhone using CRAPatalk

True. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

The reason that there’s ever more complexity, doo dads if you will, is because we the customer demand them.  My first new truck was 1975 Chevy 1/2 ton with an in-line 6, three on the tree, am radio, dealer added AC.  Thought I had died and gone to heaven because I finally had AC!  Now, I drive a fully loaded LTZ and am thinking about buying when the 2020 Denali when it comes out so I can have magnetic ride.  

About. Buying new vs used;  I think it’s situational which way to go.  The days of the shade tree mechanic are long gone for most DUI folks.  It requires a diagnostics center to troubleshoot most problems.  And, even then it has to be loaded with the right software by make/model/engine/etc.  And, most folks don’t have the time, knowledge, etc, to make the repair even if they could pull the correct codes.  So, bottom line, I buy new, and also buy extended warranty.  Btw, if anyone wants to make me an offer I’ll be glad to sell you my timing light, dwell meter, feeler guage, clutch alignment tool, brake adjustment tool, ridge reader, valve lapper, other stuff I haven’t used in about thirty or forty years. Heck, if you’ll pay shipping I just might give the stuff to ya ?!

• Like 1

The reason that there’s ever more complexity, doo dads if you will, is because we the customer demand them.  My first new truck was 1975 Chevy 1/2 ton with an in-line 6, three on the tree, am radio, dealer added AC.  Thought I had died and gone to heaven because I finally had AC!  Now, I drive a fully loaded LTZ and am thinking about buying when the 2020 Denali when it comes out so I can have magnetic ride.  

About. Buying new vs used;  I think it’s situational which way to go.  The days of the shade tree mechanic are long gone for most DUI folks.  It requires a diagnostics center to troubleshoot most problems.  And, even then it has to be loaded with the right software by make/model/engine/etc.  And, most folks don’t have the time, knowledge, etc, to make the repair even if they could pull the correct codes.  So, bottom line, I buy new, and also buy extended warranty.  Btw, if anyone wants to make me an offer I’ll be glad to sell you my timing light, dwell meter, feeler guage, clutch alignment tool, brake adjustment tool, ridge reader, valve lapper, other stuff I haven’t used in about thirty or forty years. Heck, if you’ll pay shipping I just might give the stuff to ya [emoji23]!

I went the other way, a basic Camry. So easy to deal with. I don’t use half the features on the Genesis. The sun roof has never been opened, I use the navigation and pandora one my phone.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

EXACTLY my thoughts - couldn't have said it better.

Actually, ever increasing CAFE standards have been driving the never ending quest for mpg improvement.  Hence, AFM, 10 spd trannies, aluminum skin, even if it saves only a few hundred pounds.  A side note;  you’ve probably read that GM is discontinuing several small sedan lines.  Up until the recent Executive Order action taken by Trump to rescind the EPA CAFE regulations these low/no profit autos were needed to keep corporate mpg in line.  Now, they’re no longer needed.  So, they’re being cut.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snoringbear said:

Actually, ever increasing CAFE standards have been driving the never ending quest for mpg improvement.  Hence, AFM, 10 spd trannies, aluminum skin, even if it saves only a few hundred pounds.  A side note;  you’ve probably read that GM is discontinuing several small sedan lines.  Up until the recent Executive Order action taken by Trump to rescind the EPA CAFE regulations these low/no profit autos were needed to keep corporate mpg in line.  Now, they’re no longer needed.  So, they’re being cut.  

I did know they were tied into corporate mpg ratings and credits. Did not know that changed and they no longer count. No wonder they are getting axed like diseased elm trees.

• Haha 1