What did you pay for your truck?

8 hours ago, Arkangel said:

What dealer offered 16% off?

Trying to find a 2019 AT4 myself, but I owe 39 on my 18 SLT PREM PLUS, dealer here offered me 8k off MSRP but only 35k for my 18

Any dealer that offered 16% off, I would consider that only a opening offer. There is still room.  Any dealer can still make a fair profit even knocking 20% off of MSRP.   There are thousands of dealers around the country.  One of them will take more than 16% off.  Every new vehicle I have bought this century I have gotten at least 20% off of MSRP.  Even different OEM brands.

As for what the dealer would offer for trade, I would insist it be as least what the NADA guide shows the value of the trade to be.  NADA guide is the standard reference  for auto dealers and financial institutions from cars to trucks to motorcycles to boats to RV's etc.  

And each vehicle is a separate negotiation.  I never allow both then new vehicle price and the trade in value be combined into one negotiation.  Dealers like to combine the two into one negotiation so they can play slight of hand games and draw the consumer's attention away from what they are actually buying the new vehicle for.   I focus only on what it would take to write a check and driver the new vehicle off the lot.  The price before TTL is figured in.  Then we can talk about what my trade in, if I am trading, is worth.  And it has to be at least the value of the NADA guide,. No exceptions.  Again, there is always another dealer down the road.   And I have even had vehicles brought into a dealer  and bought from them.  Vehicles that I wanted that the other dealer would not budge on.   I even had one vehicle brought over 200 miles from out of state one time.  Any dealer that wants to sell a vehicle will actually be realistic in their pricing.  After all, they have to pay their floor plan financial backer every month for the vehicles they have sitting on their lot.  The OEM already got its money. The dealer is totally on the hook to move a vehicle off their lot.

Those that want to make the most money will move the vehicles off the lot the fastest.  And they are the ones who will agree to 20% off MSRP, or at least very close to 20% off.

Edited by Cowpie

14 minutes ago, Cowpie said:

Any dealer that offered 16% off, I would consider that only a opening offer. There is still room.  Any dealer can still make a fair profit even knocking 20% off of MSRP.   There are thousands of dealers around the country.  One of them will take more than 16% off.  Every new vehicle I have bought this century I have gotten at least 20% off of MSRP.  Even different OEM brands.

As for what the dealer would offer for trade, I would insist it be as least what the NADA guide shows the value of the trade to be.  NADA guide is the standard reference  for auto dealers and financial institutions from cars to trucks to motorcycles to boats to RV's etc.  

And each vehicle is a separate negotiation.  I never allow both then new vehicle price and the trade in value be combined into one negotiation.  Dealers like to combine the two into one negotiation so they can play slight of hand games and draw the consumer's attention away from what they are actually buying the new vehicle for.   I focus only on what it would take to write a check and driver the new vehicle off the lot.  The price before TTL is figured in.  Then we can talk about what my trade in, if I am trading, is worth.  And it has to be at least the value of the NADA guide,. No exceptions.

So far I got them to NADA rough trade in value, for a 2018 that would easily qualify for clean trade in.

You are 100% right about the dealers, Laura  GMC is offering a 2020 for ~50k with the same options. Im probably better off selling private party and buying from them

9 minutes ago, Arkangel said:

So far I got them to NADA rough trade in value, for a 2018 that would easily qualify for clean trade in.

You are 100% right about the dealers, Laura  GMC is offering a 2020 for ~50k with the same options. Im probably better off selling private party and buying from them

You might be right.  If it is a clean trade, I would accept no less than average trade value of the NADA guide.   For a clean trade to only be rough trade value.... no way.  They are going to turn around  and try to sell it for more than then  Retail value of the NADA, which is fair for them to do.  They hope the next buyer doesn't know how to look it up in the NADA guide.  And the little secret is..... dealers make their most profit margins on used vehicles.   The vehicle is free and clear of their floor plan inventory so that they have no fianancial overhead while it sits on their lot.

Edited by Cowpie

Looking currently at a 2019 RST All Star Crew and dealer offer is 23% off MSRP (because of current incentives on RST All Star) and looking at a 2020 RST All Star Crew Duramax but offer is only 16% off MSRP. Wonder if I should wait to see if incentives get better in November or push to see if they can get better on either deal?

Only you or anyone else can make the call if a vehicle is worth paying for what the dealer wants.  Forget the incentives thing.  that is marketing fluff to distract the buyer.   Keep in mind..... GM already got its money when the vehicle landed on the dealer's property.   If the vehicle even gets sold or how much comes off the MSRP is totally at the discretion of the dealer.  Now, actually they probably have a financial backer that covers their vehicles via a "floor plan" arraignment.  But GM still got all its money for the vehicle and the dealer has to pay the floor plan backer in interest for every new vehicle on the lot for as long as it sits on their lot.

When you go in with that knowledge, you are not going to get all buffaloed with rebates, incentives and other nonsense.   Just focus on pecentage of MSRP and let the dealer figure out how to apply any incentives and such to make it happen.  And any dealer will make a decent profit at 80% of MSRP.    In many cases, they  will even tweak out a profit at 70% of MSRP.   Now it is true, if a vehicle sits for an excessively long time on a dealer lot and they can't seem to get anyone to take it off their hands, the OEM "might" offer a little kickback to the dealer to soften their loss on the vehicle by dropping the price to get a buyer in the door.   But the OEM is under no obligation to do so.

Here is the straight scoop from a Ford dealer.  The same applies to GM, Chrysler, et al.

Edited by Cowpie

On 10/26/2019 at 2:04 PM, grant0830 said:

How does this apply if the dealer doesn’t have the truck on their lot and does a “dealer transfer” are they then purchasing that truck from the other dealer to sell on their lot?

Yep, that is correct.  GM no longer owns the vehicle.  it is no different than any other consumer product.  When it goes to another dealer, that dealer is buying it from the other dealer... either an outright buy or just shuffled on paper via the floor plan financing.

I bought a new 2019 RST 4x4 dbl cab all star edition in beg of august....has few extra goodies on it as well and MSRP was $47,700 and $48,085 with dealer add ons and my selling price was hair over 36k.....think it's around 27% off.........think it was like $11,600+ off MSRP and more if add dealer add on ba.......with TTL it was just over 41k ...... friggen Long Beach. CA tax is 10.25%

The finance guy was pissed I didn't buy warranty and he tried like hell to get me (4) times........I had a question for salesman and he wouldnt return my text

They did try to tack on $1800 night b4 purchase and hide it in monthly payments

Whole deal was done via email and texts...only went to dealer to pick it up and sign papers

20190805_172426.jpg

Edited by Dunn
Added pics

On 10/5/2019 at 8:54 AM, t76turbo said:

I didn’t have any luck getting to the pricing some here were able to get. All the dealers advertise prices I would have been happy with but when you contact them they are just being sneaky and in my opinion openly dishonest and listing prices with every rebate possible knowing very few if any buyers can actually get every rebate they add in. 

There is a local dealer who has some leftover 2018 Denali 1500’s but they are all black which I swore I would never buy another black vehicle. Maybe those advertised prices are real since they are now almost 2 years old now. 

I am still looking. 

I spent 2 months and had same issue you did, but I stuck it out........funny thing all those dealers kept calling me back after I already bought my truck saying they would offer it but who knows........its a friggen game but at end of day it's your money and they're a hundreds of dealers.......longer you keep inquireing and they see that  the better off you'll be.......best time of year to buy is still here and getting better fir 2019s.......heck I probably should have waited lil longer but got fair deal in so cal......still dont see my truck advertised for what I paid here.........I should have got bucket seats is only regret, lol.....

My first choice was LT TB but glad I didnt now, it was way too much money and I can get better suspension fir much cheaper than what they want......so

14 minutes ago, Chris Ocean said:

I just got a 2020 GMC Sierra AT4 5.3 V8 fully loaded for 58k out the door... sooo who knows, might have been a great deal might not have been, but by NY standards i'll take it.

Personally I don’t care about the OTD price because that changes so much state to state and if you had a trade in for tax credit or not.  What did you pay before tax, title, license, dealer fees etc? 

48 minutes ago, spizike9 said:

Personally I don’t care about the OTD price because that changes so much state to state and if you had a trade in for tax credit or not.  What did you pay before tax, title, license, dealer fees etc? 

I had a clean wash on my 2016 for what I owed vs what it was worth so before any of that it was 54k with a GMF number. Supplier discount. 

50 minutes ago, spizike9 said:

when you say fully loaded is that everything minus the 6.2? Tech Package etc? What was MSRP? 

Edited by spizike9