Exhaust help, I'm so lost!!!

8 minutes ago, SS502 said:

I am at 3169 miles and only drove about 320 of those with AFM activated, of those 320 miles it was in V4 mode for maybe 20 miles max. First oil change was right at 2K miles and if it matters I run a RXP dual can setup. Not sure where the VLOM filter is but guess I better find out! The Range works great...felt weird putting it in Drive, not L and hitting the button until I got to L7...went to dinner and it worked perfectly!

Hey, did not know you were buying a Range, could have sold you mine that set off CEL's in my 14 on a weekly basis. Not to rain on your parade, actually snowing in Seattle right now, but you will not be able to get any notices from OnStar, or be able to do  anything else with your OBD II port. Probably not a big deal, but I found out after the fact. 

Just now, JimCost2014 said:

Hey, did not know you were buying a Range, could have sold you mine that set off CEL's in my 14 on a weekly basis. Not to rain on your parade, actually snowing in Seattle right now, but you will not be able to get any notices from OnStar, or be able to do  anything else with your OBD II port. Probably not a big deal, but I found out after the fact. 

I haven’t gotten 1 thing from OnStar. I hit the button on day 1 to ask them to turn off the Infotainment demo mode...never heard from them again. I did a lot of reading and the earlier Range units had some problems but after several inputs from members currently using them I went ahead and ordered one. If I need the port for some reason I’ll pull it out and put it back when done.

4 minutes ago, SS502 said:

I haven’t gotten 1 thing from OnStar. I hit the button on day 1 to ask them to turn off the Infotainment demo mode...never heard from them again. I did a lot of reading and the earlier Range units had some problems but after several inputs from members currently using them I went ahead and ordered one. If I need the port for some reason I’ll pull it out and put it back when done.

When it worked it was great, not sure about current versions, but first runs also has a bad habit of draining battery over the course of a couple of days if you did not start/drive your truck. I thought the best part was the cool blue/white glow that the lights emit, kind of like driving in an X-Files episode, without the abduction or probing part....

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

When it worked it was great, not sure about current versions, but first runs also has a bad habit of draining battery over the course of a couple of days if you did not start/drive your truck. I thought the best part was the cool blue/white glow that the lights emit, kind of like driving in an X-Files episode, without the abduction or probing part....

According to them (tech support) they fixed the battery issue too. All version 8 and above no longer drain the battery. They do recommend if you’re storing your vehicle to remove it because it does pull a tiny draw on the battery, I was told the older units used to keep a module “awake” and that module kept others active. We will see...got my tax money back so I just did it, wasn’t expecting a return from IRS. I have the Alien green glow..

Edited by SS502

Order of my upgrades):

1. K&N filter swap (day 1)
  2. Flowmaster Force II stainless cat-back dual exhaust with Super 50 muffler (no flapper)
  3. Range AFM Disabler - Removed (trouble codes, no start, battery drain and having to remember to remove it)
  4. SCT X4 tuner - discovered it didn't have AFM disable without more $$$ for a custom tune.  No 5.3L tune.  Windows install issues.  Returned for refund
  5. Diablosport Intune i3 tuner disabled the V4 mode.

NOTE:  I have the original single exhaust and a fresh Borla muffler in the garage attic if I decide to chuck it all and return close to stock.

Edited by TedH

1 hour ago, TedH said:

Order of my upgrades):

1. K&N filter swap (day 1)
  2. Flowmaster Force II stainless cat-back dual exhaust with Super 50 muffler (no flapper)
  3. Range AFM Disabler - Removed (trouble codes, no start, battery drain and having to remember to remove it)
  4. SCT X4 tuner - discovered it didn't have AFM disable without more $$$ for a custom tune.  No 5.3L tune.  Windows install issues.  Returned for refund
  5. Diablosport Intune i3 tuner disabled the V4 mode.

NOTE:  I have the original single exhaust and a fresh Borla muffler in the garage attic if I decide to chuck it all and return close to stock.

I love the sound of flowmaster but have swapped out way too many do to rust.  Borla is the way to go.  And pay diablew.com to send you a custom tune for that i3.  Its $150 and you wont even recognize the truck when you upload it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2019 at 1:10 PM, tim5779 said:

I love the sound of flowmaster but have swapped out way too many do to rust.  Borla is the way to go.  And pay diablew.com to send you a custom tune for that i3.  Its $150 and you wont even recognize the truck when you upload it.

My Flowmaster system is 409 stainless.  Not as rust resistant as 304 but more resistant than aluminized steel.

Edited by TedH

That's exactly why it'll rust.  409 is barely a step above aluminized steel.  409 is prone to rust especially in colder states where salt is used.  I replaced 3 rusted out flowmasters (one aluminized and two 409 ss) before I finally gave up.  If you don't live in a colder state you're probably ok.  If you do It'll be rusted out within 5 years.  Borla and Magnaflow both use 304 ss.  They're also flow thru design, which IMO sounds a bit better than baffled. Just my 2 cents.  But if you do find yourself replacing that Flowmaster I'd take advantage of that Borla in your attic.  Like I said above I was a bit disappointed at first, but now that its broke in it sounds awesome.

Edited by tim5779