Dash pad swelling 2018 GMC Sierra

I haven't been able to locate any posts concerning the warping or swelling of the dash pad in the 2018 GMC pick ups. Are any of the other 2018's  experiencing this issue?

Mine  was noticed at 1015 miles and the dealer that sold me the truck said it wasn't the dash pad but rather the in fill section where the defrost vent and sensor for the auto headlights live. The dealer in Slidell La. also stated that he has a lot full of 2018 GMC's with the same dash issue.  They supposedly ordered 3 of these panels and each one looked worse than the first panel. Needless to say when they tried to give me the keys back after having my new truck for a week and a half the panel was raised or buckled so bad you could stack 2 quarters on top of each other and slide them into the opening!  The dealer said"we tried 3 times and we are done with it".   I had them re install my original panel which is raised in front of the drivers and passengers view.

A local dealer graciously looked at the dash  (with prompting from GM)  and said it wasn't the in fill panel but the leather dash pad, and changed same out.  Warping is still there, no as bad as originally but its still there.  The local dealer in Biloxi ,Ms. also stated he has never seen this problem.

GM told the dealer to order another dash and to perform and inspection inside while it was open again. 

Anyone have this issue with a good ending? 

I had the same issue with my '16. Dealer offered to rip out the dash to fix the issue. I wisely said "no" as I figured that it would come back to me with numerous rattles etc. Mine changes with the temperature. On some days, it sits almost flat.

Did the warping start when the truck was brand new?  Was it the plastic panel next to the windshield or the actual dash pad?  Mine was evident within the first month.   Dealer is trying to say its a factory attachment location design issue. 

On 1/21/2019 at 2:57 PM, Stan the Man said:

I haven't been able to locate any posts concerning the warping or swelling of the dash pad in the 2018 GMC pick ups. Are any of the other 2018's  experiencing this issue?

Mine  was noticed at 1015 miles and the dealer that sold me the truck said it wasn't the dash pad but rather the in fill section where the defrost vent and sensor for the auto headlights live. The dealer in Slidell La. also stated that he has a lot full of 2018 GMC's with the same dash issue.  They supposedly ordered 3 of these panels and each one looked worse than the first panel. Needless to say when they tried to give me the keys back after having my new truck for a week and a half the panel was raised or buckled so bad you could stack 2 quarters on top of each other and slide them into the opening!  The dealer said"we tried 3 times and we are done with it".   I had them re install my original panel which is raised in front of the drivers and passengers view.

A local dealer graciously looked at the dash  (with prompting from GM)  and said it wasn't the in fill panel but the leather dash pad, and changed same out.  Warping is still there, no as bad as originally but its still there.  The local dealer in Biloxi ,Ms. also stated he has never seen this problem.

GM told the dealer to order another dash and to perform and inspection inside while it was open again. 

Pictures?

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:57 PM, Stan the Man said:

Any chance it is moisture related? Does the truck have any "new" musty, wet odors that were not there before? Seems that there are quite a few spots where water gets into the cab, and pretty sure the dash is a hard foam.

Did the warping start when the truck was brand new?  Was it the plastic panel next to the windshield or the actual dash pad?  Mine was evident within the first month.   Dealer is trying to say its a factory attachment location design issue. 

Unless the tech drops something into the opening when the dash is off there really isn't any way a rattle could be caused.  U Tube removing the dash on a 2018 GMC, the dash itself is fairly well secured with screws,  there is 2 hook looking devices that kind of clip the front portion in, that may be the source of the warping.

My lead carpenter has a 2014 GMC , his is warping just not as bad.

Once i figure out how to get pictures to this site I'll post them.

The interior is dry as a popcorn fart- that was one of the first things I looked for was moisture intrusion, not a thing.

GM has a 2nd leather dash and filler panel on the way, we shall see how it turns out.

I have entertained the thought of a GM buy back if they cant get this right, not quite sure how that works.

I mentioned this to the selling dealer, I guess that was the wrong thing to say as they wont acknowledge my existence now, no reply to phone calls, e-mails, no a thing.

GM Corp. isnt any help with this rogue dealer, GM says they just sell the vehicles to the dealers and all they are on the hook for is the factory warranty, and any issues that arise during that period like the dash.  Dealer can crap on you after the sale and they cant or wont do a thing.

5 hours ago, Stan the Man said:

GM has a 2nd leather dash and filler panel on the way, we shall see how it turns out.

I have entertained the thought of a GM buy back if they cant get this right, not quite sure how that works.

I mentioned this to the selling dealer, I guess that was the wrong thing to say as they wont acknowledge my existence now, no reply to phone calls, e-mails, no a thing.

GM Corp. isnt any help with this rogue dealer, GM says they just sell the vehicles to the dealers and all they are on the hook for is the factory warranty, and any issues that arise during that period like the dash.  Dealer can crap on you after the sale and they cant or wont do a thing.

Yep, you should have never mentioned that to anyone. Now just for S&G go back and look at the 2007-2013 Avalanche, Suburban, Yukon and Escalade...notorious for cracked dashboards (by the instrument cluster brow and the passenger side airbag) and short of a few people getting new dash boards that later cracked GM didn't do squat so a buy back is probably wishful thinking at best. I do wish you the best of luck ?

Edited by SS502

On 1/21/2019 at 2:57 PM, Stan the Man said:

Nope haven't had that issue. It's extremely common on the 2015-present F-150's though. The glovebox also tends to warp on them.

Yes.  Same warping!!  I have 2 places on my dash, right of the drivers view and another in front of the passenger view.  Since Mandal GMC in D'iberville Ms. changed the entire padded dash and the plastic panel its not as bad- BUT , maybe i'm gun shy, I have had the pleasure of owning every year model of GM truck that suffered dash failure, and some at an early age.

I was hoping the dash material had surely been changed with the huge outcry of GM owners in the same predicament, but apparently not.   So I am not letting this rest on my brand new truck.  They can fix it or they can have it back.  My older trucks in the fleet look like cold crap, and now my new truck is headed down the same path?     And 2 different dealers are telling 2 different stories??   The selling dealer says he has a lot full of brand new trucks with warping dashes, and the dealer GM Corp. sent me to is saying they have never seen this.   CYA?? 

IMG_1251 2018 dash.JPG

My 2016 did it and so does my 2018. I had thought of using some 3m double sided tape to see if that would fix it but decided to just live with it. It's more annoying than anything when they don't fix what they know is wrong and just keep pumping them out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk