Stereo guys get in here before I waste money

Hey guys I’m not sure if there is a stereo section on this forum that I’m not seeing or if somebody has already addressed this but I was wondering if any of you have or have ran the JL audio stealth box for the crew cabs with dual 10’s?  I was going to have a custom stereo shop build me a similar box with 2JL 12s but after being on their waiting list for six months I’m ready to just buy something and install it so I’d like to hear your reviews if you have actually ran it? Worth the $1200 plus cost of decent amp? Probably 2k total I’m figuring.  Now I’m not looking for rattle the teeth out of your head bass but I would like something semi substantial as far as bass output in all types of music so let me know! Thanks in advance.

Edited by CovetedStyle

Its a good sounding and easy install. but In my opinion there are better. I was going to get it but they don't have my color. So I ordered 2 Sundown 10" rated at 500watts RMS each and have a digital alpine 1000watt. I build a wood and fiberglass box for it. 

• Like 1

stealth boxes are nice, but custom boxes are just as nice, prefab boxes do the job. depends on how much you don't want to spend. as for amps, plan on a $1 a watt for class D amps. my thoughts were, get the better amp and upgrade subs as needed.  if you go will a low rated amp and want to upgrade your gonna need to swap and upgrade the power wires. spend the money on the amp and work you self up on subs. just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

I'd get it, JL Audio just came out with a new 1500 watt amp for around 600 bucks also.  

or go with one of their new VXi amps to make installation a breeze.  

Edited by qwank
  • Like 1

I got the Stealth Box that fits in the center console. Driven with a JL 500 watt amp (HD900/5). I like it, but it might not be enough chest pounding bass for some. Certainly shakes the rear view mirror plenty.

I agree with 'Ak_grown' that a quality high power amp is a better first step up than size or count of drivers.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ftwhite said:

I got the Stealth Box that fits in the center console. Driven with a JL 500 watt amp (HD900/5). I like it, but it might not be enough chest pounding bass for some. Certainly shakes the rear view mirror plenty.

I agree with 'Ak_grown' that a quality high power amp is a better first step up than size or count of drivers.  

It’s a single 10 in that center console? they recommend a mono for it so im thinking like  RD1000/1

1,000 is waaay overkill for that driver. Click the sections tab. It says max of 300. Also, JL always under rates those specs, probably so they don’t have to fulfill any replacements because you over powered it. I ran 1 10” JL under the rear passenger seat for years on a 500 watt alpine amp that probably delivered 250 on average and it sounded great. IMO 2 10” JLs would just shake stuff apart and make your cab rattle prematurely. I’d stick with one. 

1 hour ago, rudyb said:

1,000 is waaay overkill for that driver. Click the sections tab. It says max of 300. Also, JL always under rates those specs, probably so they don’t have to fulfill any replacements because you over powered it. I ran 1 10” JL under the rear passenger seat for years on a 500 watt alpine amp that probably delivered 250 on average and it sounded great. IMO 2 10” JLs would just shake stuff apart and make your cab rattle prematurely. I’d stick with one. 

It depends on what final load you wire to

1 hour ago, rudyb said:

No my friend 1000w’s for the stealthbox, it’s 2 JL 10’s. My buddy has two JL 12’s  and a custom underseat box and it sounds amazing but subs plus custom box with custom lighting and plexiglass and the whole nine cost him $2800 and that’s with no power. So he’s at almost 4K just in bass which I just don’t really want to spend on that. I’d rather be getting bigger rims and tires lol So I can get stealthbox and amp for under 2k as long as they sound good. That’s what  i’m trying to establish and hopefully hear from someone that is actually ran the set up before.

Edited by CovetedStyle

I like my single 10 in the center console, but the downside as I see it, is that it is buried in plastic. So I am not sure how much air/sound is getting blocked. I definitely wouldn't try to get two 10s in there. For max bass for any combination of drivers, I think the rear seat is likely better.
So if you started with a single nice 10, plus the 1000w JL Amp, you could then add another 10 if not enough, or even move to a 12+ if you want. Plenty of reserve power, and room to grow in the back.
If you'll stick with one 10, the hard call is "in console" or in back. Sticking with one 10(@2ohm), I agree that a 1000w is overkill, but not wrong.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'd base my decision on if you are still using the stock speakers.  They aren't fantastic by any means especially at higher volumes.  I think you would be fine with just a single properly powered 10".   Any more would just be wasted. 

Another thing to consider is that the subs are different series between the single console sub and the double crew cab stealth box.

The Tw1 in the console box is much less impressive than the 2x Tw3 in the crew cab model.  The Stealthbox linup just doesnt make sense to me.  The single TW1 isnt enough and the 2x TW3 is to much.  They should have a single TW3 option for half of the rear seat.  Which is where I think the sweet spot would be...

I've got so much stereo gear laying around I hate to buy new stuff for this truck but all the subs I have are just to big.  What other slim subs are out there besides the JL TW3 and the thin alpine type R.

Subs i've got.

JL w0 10"

JL w3  10" (x2)

JL w7 10"

Kicker Solobaric L7 12"

Alpine type R 10" (x3)

Alpine type R 12" (x2)

Alpine Type X 12"

Sub Amps.

JL JX1000

Alpine MRD-1000

Alpine MRV-M1200

Hifonics BX1800

Hifonics BX1200

Hifonics HFI1000

I really like the Hifonics amps there really good bang for your buck.  Stable down to 1Ω. (I ran 2 W7 in parallel for a 1.5Ω on the bx1800 for many happy years)

This is what I’m referring to.  It’s 2 10s under the backseat.  Definitely wouldn’t try and stuff to in the center consul I just want to know if anybody’s used this.  JL audio’s recommended amp for this box is 1000w x 1 because the speakers are ran in parallel (I think that’s the correct term)  I figure a large stereo company like JL audio has some pretty good R&D that has gone into this box I’m just wondering if anybody has used it?

EC5DF683-0E87-4BA1-8B0B-7D2B36F5E609.png

9B727979-1051-4A3D-A838-FBC99291FB45.png

Edited by CovetedStyle