Roof Leak from Shark Fin (Digital Radio Antenna)

Hello,

My Silverado truck has about 120k miles and my warranty has already expired. It was raining all day long. The day after, I saw water drips coming out from the roof (see the attached photo).

I went to dealer to find out where does the leak come from. They did water test and told me the leak from the Shark Fin. It costs over $200 to re-seal it.

I asked them what would it cost to replace it, they told me it cost almost the same.

I'm thinking to DYI the sealing, but I couldn't see any topics illustrate that.

I'd appreciate any one can help me with this issue.

Thanks in advance.  

IMG_20190124_091427 leak.jpg

The dealer "replaced/fixed" it under warranty. It leaked again within a month of them working on it...So, I fixed it myself for the price of a tube of RTV/silicone.

Remove the A pillar trim, grab handle, sun visor, and center upper console. Then you can pull the headliner down enough to get your hands above it. Unplug the 2 plugs, and remove the bolt that holds the ant bracket. I think its 10mm, but it might be 8mm, I don't remember. The bracket only goes on one way, so pay attention. Pull the ant out, clean the sheet metal. I took my ant apart and cleaned and dried it. I silicone the crap out of it, then reinstalled. Hasn't leaked since. I did the 3rd brake light as well, because it'll leak too. The "gasket" on both is foam. Foam gaskets WILL eventually leak. Good luck...

• Like 1

My antenna leaked and was repaired while under warranty.  It leaked again, post warranty, and my dealer replaced it at no charge.  They service manager said the new one is a better design and I shouldn't have anymore problems.  We've had several periods of heavy rain since this last repair and the cab is keeping dry.  I would recommend spending the $200 if they give you a reasonably long guarantee against future leakage.

• Like 1

So glad I found this topic.  I too have water coming through the interior at the same spot but it will only come in while driving.  I'mstill under warranty so hoping the dealer will take care of this for me.  Thanks for sharing!

57 minutes ago, BigBadSierra said:

I don't know why they don't put some sealer on the inside of that like the did on all of the older vehicles just extra protection..

GM’s pickup trucks combine for $65 billion in annual revenue. In rough math, just the heavy duty trucks bring in more than $2 billion in pretax income. Why in the world would they spend $.10 to make their product more enjoyable for the consumer? Answer; it's al about the money and making as much off each vehicle as possible. The operating profit on large pickups, is at least $12,000 apiece. We silly customers wouldn't want them to go hungry would we?

Does anyone know specifically which antennas are more prone to this? I seen a thread that some of the shark fins were bigger than others...But I think that thread was specifically comparing a 14 antenna to a 15 of some fashion.. 

Mine doesn't appear to leak... yet.... and i'm hoping it stays that way. But when it gets warmer here maybe I'll pull that and the high-mount stop light out and do some extra protection...

1 hour ago, g2full said:

Does anyone know specifically which antennas are more prone to this? I seen a thread that some of the shark fins were bigger than others...But I think that thread was specifically comparing a 14 antenna to a 15 of some fashion.. 

Mine doesn't appear to leak... yet.... and i'm hoping it stays that way. But when it gets warmer here maybe I'll pull that and the high-mount stop light out and do some extra protection...

The bigger antenna incorporates the WiFi wiring, so the newer ones are larger. They all have the same water intrusion seal. They also have a barrier seal (not water proof) that the antenna sits on so it doesn’t just sit on painted metal. Those all have a little gap. The older trucks had that gap in the back, the newer ones have the gap in the front. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 9:05 PM, RACERX7775 said:

Yup. When i did the stereo in mine. I took off the a pillar and there was water in it. Black RTV. Done. I did all around the inner and outer seals. Now no water gets past the outer seal.

20180911_163627.jpg

20180911_171201.jpg

I had a leak with my sharkfin antenna a little over a month ago.  dealer tells me they replaced the antenna, and also silicone around it.  no leaks since.  i questioned if there was an issue with my antenna as mine looks like yours, with the little notch facing the back.  i look at others, and that notch faces forward.  my replacement antenna also has the notch towards the back.  lets hope we dont have more leaks down the road.

12 hours ago, SS502 said:

The bigger antenna incorporates the WiFi wiring, so the newer ones are larger. They all have the same water intrusion seal. They also have a barrier seal (not water proof) that the antenna sits on so it doesn’t just sit on painted metal. Those all have a little gap. The older trucks had that gap in the back, the newer ones have the gap in the front. 

my 2018 has the gap towards the back, with wifi.  my buddy's 2018 has the gap towards the front, with wifi.   same year.......